Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 2:33:57 AM EDT
Ok folks, here is the story. A 19 year old kid offered to buy one of my handguns from me, says he can legally buy it from me but not a gunstore because he is under 21. Is this true? I hope so to be honest, he offered me current retail price for the thing. I just don't want to get in trouble with any LE fellas, live in Ann Arobr and the folks here are not too fond of gun owners.......we just don't fit into their ideal mental image of a perfect world where people hug each other and save whales and hug trees. Anyway, let me know folks. And as always, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a private transfer (to an 18-20 year old) is legal.

Funny thing, though, is that he still can't buy his own ammo.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
So a 18 year old won't need a purchase permit?  Or can an 18 year old get a purchase permit but not buy from a gunstore.  I'm just as
king because I've never dealt with this situation.  This sounds odd too me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... can an 18 year old get a purchase permit but not buy from a gunstore.  

Correct, everything else is the same.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So a 18 year old won't need a purchase permit?  Or can an 18 year old get a purchase permit but not buy from a gunstore.  I'm just as
king because I've never dealt with this situation.  This sounds odd too me.

from 18 to 21 they must have a purchase permitt, and cannot buy from a retail dealer, only private sales
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny, this is exactly the way I bought my first handgun.  when I was 18 I got my purchase permit and went to a gun store where I learned the very stupid federal law that FFL's cannot sell handguns to anyone under 21, but as long as you are 18 you can buy whatever you want.  Slight contradiction I'd say.

Only thing I recommend is that you check his ID, and keep your copies of his purchase permit after you fill them out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Man, that is crazy.  Thanks for clearing it up for me, fellas.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the quick responses guys. Figured it was legal, but wanted to check it out. I will get a copy of his ID, just to be safe.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
its a stupid law, i complained to the state and the ATF, they should have the pruchase permitt in a different color for the under 21 crowd, or just change it so they can buy from a dealer
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I had three or four guns before I was 21 and that was 30 years ago, Both of my sons had their own hand guns they bought them from me Befor there where 21, But they did get the required permits.
Good Luck
Sm
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The purchaser must still present the weapon for a safety inspection in ten days to his local PD and they will run a background check on him at that time and give him his green card if he passes it.  If he fails to get the safety inspection he is in violation of the stupid law and stands to lose his rights if caught.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a question that is kind of on this subject that probably one of you could answer for me (I hope and if its not to much trouble of course)
Is the law about rifles such as ARs the same as the handgun issue dealt with in this thread? Or can an 18-20 year old buy a rifle from a gun dealer but just not handguns?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... and they will run a background check on him at that time and give him his green card if he passes it.  

Might want to check your facts a little better.

The background  check is done before they issue the PP.

What they check during the "safety inspection" (HAH! AINT THAT A JOKE!) is whether or not it has been reported stolen.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a question that is kind of on this subject that probably one of you could answer for me (I hope and if its not to much trouble of course)
Is the law about rifles such as ARs the same as the handgun issue dealt with in this thread? Or can an 18-20 year old buy a rifle from a gun dealer but just not handguns?

18 to 20 may buy any longgun they want, as long as it doen's fall into michigans "minumum longgun length rule" ie a 18-20 yo cannot buy a longgun with a folding stock, since in mi it would have to be registered as a pistol.      as far as rifles shotguns they can buy as many as they want.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
18 to 20 may buy any longgun they want, as long as it doen's fall into michigans "minumum longgun length rule" ie a 18-20 yo cannot buy a longgun with a folding stock, since in mi it would have to be registered as a pistol.      as far as rifles shotguns they can buy as many as they want.

In which case, if it's actually a sub-30" rifle that you want from a dealer, you simply buy it legally from a dealer in another state, and bring it back, selling it to yourself with another bullshit pistol purchase permit.  Done.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I checked my facts.  Did you check the Law?

28.429 Pistols; safety inspection required; certificate of inspection; exemptions; requirements of pistol presented for inspection; violation as civil infraction; fine.

Sec. 9.

(1) A person within the state who owns or comes into possession of a pistol shall, if he or she resides in a city, township, or village having an organized police department, present the pistol for safety inspection to the commissioner or chief of police of the city, township, or village police department or to a duly authorized deputy of the commissioner or chief of police.  . . . .  If the person presenting the pistol is eligible to possess a pistol under section 2(1), a certificate of inspection shall be issued in triplicate on a form provided by the director of the department of state police, containing the name, age, address, description, and signature of the person presenting the pistol for inspection, together with a full description of the pistol.

28.422 section 2 states that

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

So the police must determine if you are eligible to possess the pistol--that means a license to transport which means a background check.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I checked my facts.  

Here is an excerpt from the section referred to in your post :
28.422 section 2 states that

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

IF you had read that section, you would realise that without a background check, the police cannot satisfy the requirements to issue a purchase permit.

Tim

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top