User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I recieved the same form letters.

The futures looking bright.
Man first the AWB, Now we have to fight this.

The battle continues.......
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I must admit a little ignorance here.  Since  live in Davison, who do I sendthe letters to?  I am assuming Emerson and Bogardus
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Michigan AWB compromise version!!!

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/documents/2003-2004/billintroduced/senate/htm/2004-SIB-1381.htm

Michigan Senate

US Mail for all Senators can be addressed as follows:

Senator Name
Post Office Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909-7536

President of the Senate
Lieutenant Governor John D. Cherry
Office Location: S-215 Capitol Building
Office Phone: (517) 373-6800

Jason Allen
Republican of District 37
Office Phone: (517) 373-2413
Office Location: 820 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Jim Barcia
Democrat of District 31
Office Phone: (517) 373-1777
Office Location: 1010 Farnum Building
Raymond E. Basham
Democrat of District 8
Office Phone: (517) 373-7800
Office Location: 715 Farnum Building

Virg Bernero
Democrat of District 23
Office Phone: (517) 373-1734
Office Location: 415 Farnum Building

Patricia L. Birkholz
Republican of District 24
Office Phone: (517) 373-3447
Office Location: 805 Farnum Building
Michael Bishop
Republican of District 12
Office Phone: (517) 373-2417
Office Location: 605 Farnum Building

Liz Brater
Democrat of District 18
Office Phone: (517) 373-2406
Office Location: 510 Farnum Building

Cameron Brown
Republican of District 16
Office Phone: (517) 373-5932
Office Location: 205 Farnum Building

Nancy Cassis
Republican of District 15
Office Phone: (517) 373-1758
Office Location: 305 Farnum Building

Deborah Cherry
Democrat of District 26
Office Phone: (517) 373-1636
Office Location: 910 Farnum Building

Irma Clark-Coleman
Democrat of District 3
Office Phone: (517) 373-0990
Office Location: 310 Farnum Building

Hansen Clarke
Democrat of District 1
Office Phone: (517) 373-7346
Office Location: 710 Farnum Building

Alan L. Cropsey
Republican of District 33
Office Phone: (517) 373-3760
Office Location: 1005 Farnum Building

Robert L. Emerson
Democrat of District 27
Office Phone: (517) 373-0142
Office Location: S-105 Capitol

Valde Garcia
Republican of District 22
Office Phone: (517) 373-2420
Office Location: S-132 Capitol

Thomas M. George
Republican of District 20
Office Phone: (517) 373-0793
Office Location: 320 Farnum Building

Judson Gilbert II
Republican of District 25
Office Phone: (517) 373-7708
Office Location: 705 Farnum Building

Mike Goschka
Republican of District 32
Office Phone: (517) 373-1760
Office Location: S-2 Capitol

Beverly S. Hammerstrom
Republican of District 17
Office Phone: (517) 373-3543
Office Location: S-8 Capitol

Bill Hardiman
Republican of District 29
Office Phone: (517) 373-1801
Office Location: 915 Farnum Building

Gilda Z. Jacobs
Democrat of District 14
Office Phone: (517) 373-7888
Office Location: 1015 Farnum Building

Ron Jelinek
Republican of District 21
Office Phone: (517) 373-6960
Office Location: 405 Farnum Building

Shirley Johnson
Republican of District 13
Office Phone: (517) 373-2523
Office Location: S-324 Capitol

Wayne Kuipers
Republican of District 30
Office Phone: (517) 373-6920
Office Location: 1020 Farnum Building

Burton Leland
Democrat of District 5
Office Phone: (517) 373-0994
Office Location: 315 Farnum Building

Michelle McManus
Republican of District 35
Office Phone: (517) 373-1725
Office Location: 905 Farnum Building

Dennis Olshove
Democrat of District 9
Office Phone: (517) 373-8360
Office Location: 920 Farnum Building

Bruce Patterson
Republican of District 7
Office Phone: (517) 373-7350
Office Location: 505 Farnum Building

Michael Prusi
Democrat of District 38
Office Phone: (517) 373-7840
Office Location: 515 Farnum Building

Alan Sanborn
Republican of District 11
Office Phone: (517) 373-7670
Office Location: S-310 Capitol

Mark Schauer
Democrat of District 19
Office Phone: (517) 373-2426
Office Location: S-9 Capitol

Martha G. Scott
Democrat of District 2
Office Phone: (517) 373-7748
Office Location: 220 Farnum Building

Kenneth K. Sikkema
Republican of District 28
Office Phone: (517) 373-0797
Office Location: S-106 Capitol

Tony Stamas
Republican of District 36
Office Phone: (517) 373-7946
Office Location: 720 Farnum Building

Michael Switalski
Democrat of District 10
Office Phone: (517) 373-7315
Office Location: 410 Farnum Building

Samuel Buzz Thomas, III
Democrat of District 4
Office Phone: (517) 373-7918
Office Location: 610 Farnum Building

Laura M. Toy
Republican of District 6
Office Phone: (517) 373-1707
Office Location: 520 Farnum Building

Gerald VanWoerkom
Republican of District 34
Office Phone: (517) 373-1635
Office Location: 420 Farnum Building
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I wrote to Senator Gerald VanWoerkom last night.  No response yet.  Going to send out some more letters later.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Response I receive from Sen. Basham

Thank you for contacting me regarding proposed legislation to renew the federal ban on assault weapons at the state level.  I always appreciate hearing from my constituents.

My colleague, Sen. Gilda Jacobs has introduced Senate Bill 1381 and 182 which would renew the federal assault weapons ban in Michigan.  As you likely know, President Bush has stated that he supported renewing the assault weapons ban, but Congress chose to let it lapse.  As a lifelong sportsman, I have a keen interest in protecting the second amendment.  I look forward to discussing this legislation with interested parties in the future.  Please be assured that I take your input seriously, and look forward to hearing from my constituents on both sides of this matter.

Again, thank you for your interest in this important issue.  Please feel free to contact me again in the future should you have any questions or concerns regarding state government.

So I cant tell if he is in opposition to this bill or not.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thank you for contacting me regarding proposed legislation to renew the federal ban on assault weapons at the state level.  I always appreciate hearing from my constituents.

My colleague, Sen. Gilda Jacobs has introduced Senate Bill 1381 and 182 which would renew the federal assault weapons ban in Michigan.  As you likely know, President Bush has stated that he supported renewing the assault weapons ban, but Congress chose to let it lapse.  As a lifelong sportsman, I have a keen interest in protecting the second amendment.  I look forward to discussing this legislation with interested parties in the future.  Please be assured that I take your input seriously, and look forward to hearing from my constituents on both sides of this matter.

Again, thank you for your interest in this important issue.  Please feel free to contact me again in the future should you have any questions or concerns regarding state government.

Well, if he opposes this bill, then he would have stated so.  Looks to me like he supports it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
My latest reply.

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate Bills 1381 and 1382. I greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts on this very important matter.

Senate Bills 1381 and 1382 was introduced after Congress failed to extend a federal ban on the sale of assault weapons.  SB 1381 and SB 1382 would be similar to the federal legislation that has since expired and would ban the sale, purchase, transfer or manufacture of 19 types of assault weapons. The bills would also limit ammunition magazines to 10 rounds. Finally, the bills would require registration of assault weapons with the state police.

Critics of the bill contend that the federal ban contained numerous loopholes that had little effect in reducing crime rates. A similar state ban would contain the same loopholes. Critics also contend that these restrictions are a gradual erosion of the Second Amendment's right to bear arms.

Supporters of the legislation state that nearly 70 percent of Americans support the ban on assault weapons and that the people's will should be strongly acted upon. Supporters also contend that the assault weapons that were banned under federal legislation are a danger to society and that these firearms serve little purpose outside of the military.

A reporter from the Macomb Daily recently questioned me on Senate Bills 1381 and 1382, which I declined to co-sponsor. Below is the excerpt of the article by Chad Selweski that appeared on Sept. 12, 2004:

"*Sen. Michael Switalski, a Roseville Democrat, said he once would have been inclined to support a state ban, based on fears that gun violence would escalate without a law.

But he recalls the false predictions of 2001 when a new state law allowed widespread distribution of concealed weapons permits. Critics had said citizens carrying pistols on the streets would create a deadly "Wild West" atmosphere.

"All these predictions did not come true. And that's made me reassess," said Switalski. "I'm cautious about doing anything with Second Amendment issues based on speculation about what will happen in the future."*

Senate Bills 1381 and 1382 are currently in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I do not expect that these bills to be taken up in committee. I am reluctant to place additional restrictions on Second Amendment rights, however I will continue to keep your thoughts and concerns in mind. Thanks again for writing. If there is anything else that I could do for you, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Michael Switalski
State Senator
10th District

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Got this from Sen. Deborah Cherry, very non commital (as usual).

Dear klutz347,

Thank you for contacting my office with your concerns on Senate Bill
1381, the proposed ban on assault weapons.  I appreciate you taking the
time to communicate your concerns.

SB 1381 has been referred to the Judiciary Committee.  Should this bill
come before the state Senate, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting my office.  Please feel free to contact
me with any future questions or concerns.  If you are interested in
receiving a periodic update of legislative happenings and events, please
return this email with "add me to your list" in the subject line.

Sincerely,
Deborah Cherry
State Senator

ETA: Got this today from Senator Michelle A. McManus:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the federal Assault Weapons Ban and pending legislation in Michigan.  I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.  

Senate Bills 1381 and 1382 are sponsored by Senator Gilda Jacobs and would prohibit the manufacturing, transferring, or possession of assault weapons, assault weapon conversion kits, and detachable magazines under certain circumstances in the State of Michigan.  This legislation is modeled after the federal Assault Weapons Ban.  As a strong defender of our Second Amendment rights, please be assured that should this legislation come before me, I would vote accordingly.

Once again, thank you for writing.  If I can be of assistance to you in any future state government matter, feel free to contact my office.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sounds like he didn't even read SB 1381.  As all of us here know, its not just a bill to reinstate the federal AWB in MI, but something much more extreme.

I still haven't gotten any response back from those who I emailed.  Maybe printing out the emails and sending them a printed letter will have a better result.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I finally got a response from Senator Van Woerkom's Office.

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Senator Gerald Van Woerkom regarding your concerns for House Bills 1381 and 1382. The Senator understands your concerns for this legislation and appreciates you sharing your thoughts with our office.

First, as you know, the federal assault weapons ban has expired. As far as our office is aware, Congress does not have any plans or aspirations to reintroduce such a ban again.

House Bills 1381 and 1382, introduced by Senator Gilda Jacobs, are currently waiting to be heard in the Senate Committee on Judiciary. In discussing this issue with the Chair of the Judiciary Committee, Senator Cropsey does not have this bill scheduled for a hearing at this time. Our office will keep your insights and concerns for this legislation in mind when discussing this issue with my Senate colleagues.

Again, thank you for writing.

Alisha A. Adrianse, Senator Van Woerkom's Office

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Great,  I'm originally from MI and a property owner there.   I'm living in AZ with a Liberal lesbian Democrat governor and have to put up with her attempts to ban our rifles down here and now I have to worry about the same thing when I retire to MI in 4 years if that Canadian Governor Granholm doesn't get voted out of office.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great,  I'm originally from MI and a property owner there.   I'm living in AZ with a Liberal lesbian Democrat governor and have to put up with her attempts to ban our rifles down here and now I have to worry about the same thing when I retire to MI in 4 years if that Canadian Governor Granholm doesn't get voted out of office.

She won't, there aren't really any opponents with potential, except maybe Cox.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Response from Wayne Kuipers

Dear xxxx

Thank you for contacting me with regard to Senate Bill 1381 (SB 1381).
Your comments and concerns are important to me.

As you know, SB 1381 would prohibit the manufacture, transfer, or possession of so-called "assault weapons."  SB 1381 was introduced on September 9, 2004, and referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary where it remains.  Please be assured that I would oppose this bill if it were to come before the full Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me.  Your input plays a vital role in the legislative process, and I hope that you will not hesitate to call upon me should you have further questions or comments regarding any state-related matter.  I can be reached toll-free at 1-877-KUIPERS.

Sincerely,

Wayne Kuipers
State Senator
30th District

thats a keeper!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I hear ya man, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently in Texas, and have to watch all the B.S. unfold from down hear. I wish I could vote there still. At least I can own anything I want for the time being.  Oh well, it wont be long before I'm back.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top