Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
I recently got stationed in Millington (I'm military), and I am trying to find out where I can go shoot.

I shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The indoor range that I have seen (Range USA) is apparently pistol only from what I can tell. Is Memphis Sport Shooting Association worth the price of admission? It is hard to believe that the only option for rifle is $800 the first year.

Also, who has the cheapest transfer fee around Bartlett?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently got stationed in Millington (I'm military), and I am trying to find out where I can go shoot.

I shoot pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The indoor range that I have seen (Range USA) is apparently pistol only from what I can tell. Is Memphis Sport Shooting Association worth the price of admission? It is hard to believe that the only option for rifle is $800 the first year.

Also, who has the cheapest transfer fee around Bartlett?
View Quote

RangeUSA did have AR/shotgun days but you had to use their frangible ammo.  MSSA is nice.  I'm not a member there, but have started doing Steel Challenge.  It's only $12 non-member versus $10 member.. lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
A group of Millington base guys shoot (train) monthly at MSSA. Not sure which branch. I assume Navy. MSSA has USPSA and steel challenge twice a month. Monthly F-class and bench rest matches. 3 gun on 5th saturdays, usually 4 timea a year. Mext 3 gun is Dec 30. Max range at MSSA is 600 yards.

TN Sports Foundation in Jackson is about an hour east of Memephis very affordable with a monthly 3 gun match on the 4th saturday. This month is their breast cancer awareness match. Max range 500 yards.

K&M is an 1.5 hours east of Memphis and is a huge range with distances out to 1200 yards. K&M hosts the Gap Grind PRS match, have several 2 gun and smaller PRS matches. K&M is run by a vet. Give him a call.

Bald Knob AR has an outdoor range, Vets Shooting Center.

Como MS has an outdoor range, Desoto rifle and piatol club.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the responses.

MSSA sounds like the closest/easiest answer where I can do 95% of what I want to do. With a 1200 yd range within 1.5 hrs, I should be just fine.

Is RangeUSA a decent indoor range for pistol?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
RangeUSA is ok for pistol.  Longgun except in 22lr can be iffy as they only allow on certain days/time and at least for rifle only allow their own ammo (frangible) as they forgot to armor the celing properly.  (the jackson one is fully rifle rated)  They typically do not like it if you draw from holsters or at least say they don't without working out with the management, but I have seen many do so over the years I have shot there.   MSSA is pretty good for an outdoor range, however it can be difficult (time, sceduling wise) to "qualify" for thier action pistol, long range, cowboy ranges, especially if you are tied up on the weekends like some here are.   Also the first year fees for MSSA can be realtively high, I've heard like 700+ currently for the first year.    As a disclaimer, I am a member at both.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
MSSA practical pistol range is great for tactical (non-bench) type shooting with pistol, rifle and shotgun.  Shooting on the weekend can be difficult as there are frequent matches which tie-up most of the range.

Range USA has poor ventilation, and I rarely shoot there.

Richard's Armory in Bartlett is a class 3 dealer.  Richard is very knowledgeable and a nice guy, and this transfer fees are on par with other shops.  I've also used Jim Cobb of Tactical Investments in Collierville.  He is also a class 3 dealer, has a Silencer Shop Kiosk, and is cheaper for transfers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top