Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2017 9:19:57 PM EDT
Just alerting everyone to a situation with ups. I purchased a weapon from someone here on the ee, that person shipped thru their ffl on the15th of sept, the weapon was physically scanned on the 16th of sept in Los Angeles. The trailer that supposedly contained the weapon arrived on the 19th without the weapon. Ups was due to deliver this am. At this point they have no clue where weapon is. But will start official investigation tomorrow...the destination of the trailer was Memphis, so I doubt it will be found.. Be on the lookout for a sig 556 with the magpul adapter and bushmaster acr stock for sale in the area. I am giving ups 48 hours to investigate before reporting as stolen, in case it is found. This happened to me a few years ago from a gunbroker transaction and fedex found the handgun after I filed an investigation...it was found in Memphis then, so I am crossing my fingers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Same thing happened to me years ago. It was an FM Argentine Hi-Power shipped from a dealer. Fortunately for me the dealer had insureance to cover it and sent me another one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It has probably been used in 10 drive-bys at this point.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the shipper is the one who has to file the reports and for a claim with UPS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to file the report with ups as the purchaser. The seller will have to refund me and then the shipper the seller used will have to file a claim with ups to get the sellers money.  UPS reported this afternoon that they still have not found the weapon and if it is not found by Tuesday morning(26th) it will go to claims for shipper to take over and file a claim. I agree that its probably out on the streets of Memphis in a bangers arsenal...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a FYI The rifle was purchased from rock3ralex on the EE. It is  currently on page 4 of the rifle section. It is a Sig 556 with the Bushmaster ACR stock with Magpul adapter. The serial # is JT000924.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Contacted UPS today, UPS now wants to investigate until October 3, then if not found the shipper will be sent a claim report to fill out. Also informed if the weapon was found , that it would be returned to the shipper. It would be up to the shipper to reship to me... I explained that I was the owner of the weapon and it was being shipped to me per federal law thru a FFL dealer....UPS has no freaking clue about how a legal firearms transaction is conducted. UPS sucks big time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like it is time to puta call into the local ATF office.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I like USPS for long arms.  UPS and FedEx are a PIA to deal with when shipping guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My thoughts also, advised to wait til UPS is complete before putting it in the system as stolen, on the off chance the weapon mysteriously reappears...if it does, I hope it comes with some of that Memphis barbque and sauce....
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
This situation is an entire learning experience for me and demonstrates the ineptness of the UPS firearm handling system. So here goes, so I called the local UPS office that is supposed to be investigating to find this package(rifle), They have not been notified that this package is missing, that its a firearm or that its been missing since the 16th or that I filed and investigation on the 22nd. No UPS employees are looking for this firearm. The UPS protocol is to wait 10 business days after there is an investigation filed to see if the package shows up, then if it does not, all of the destination and thru warehouses are asked to look for the package. In this case over 3 weeks will have passed since anyone physically touched this rifle on record...UPS does not handle firearms differently than they handle tube socks...this is from a UPS representative....UPS advertises as a preferred firearm shipper yet provides a sub standard service... All firearms shippers should be required by law to have special handling procedures for firearms in place and should be licensed with a periodic review to keep their firearms shipping license... they are not held to any standard, that's a problem. So if you want to ship a tube sock, then use UPS, but a firearm, its a risk. At least FEDEX found the handgun they lost(in Memphis). They found it in 2 days and I had it in my hands on the 3rd day. So from now on its Overnight Air with FEDEX for me...Yeah that costs, but so does dealing with this situation caused by sub standard UPS service. I will provide updates as I get them. Still hoping for my rifle with little Memphis barbque and sauce on the side.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be hard pressed not to report it as stolen and/or contact the Nashville atf field office.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be hard pressed not to report it as stolen and/or contact the Nashville atf field office.
View Quote
They do seem to be dropping the ball on looking into where the "lost" gun might be.  The atf may be able to help encourage them to figure out where things went wrong.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They do seem to be dropping the ball on looking into where the "lost" gun might be.  The atf may be able to help encourage them to figure out where things went wrong.
View Quote
The ATF has no interest in lost gun shipments in the private sector.  Hell, they don't much care when they lose them themselves!

- OS
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The ATF has no interest in lost gun shipments in the private sector.  Hell, they don't much care when they lose them themselves!

- OS
View Quote
So the federal agency that is supposed to be regulating the interstate sale of firearms, doesn't give a shit about a legal sale going sideways when it gets to the physical transfer of the firearm?

I guess by now, I really shouldn't be surprised.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Update as of today on the tracking info UPS updated to a new delivery date of Oct 2.....called to check why....was told that they are investigating and this new delivery date reflects the investigation time...still no rifle found....advised that they would contact me if anything is found....Wow...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd report it stolen asap.  UPS hasn't and if it was stolen but not reported the thief may escape prosecution.

The LA to Memphis trailer sounds odd.  Usually trailers travel only go 400-500 miles before unloading or transfer to train.  Then again LA probably ships a lot more than what I see in west TX so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been out of town for the last few days and will be for a few more days, I saw where UPS had updated the tracking # of the package that was originally shipped and it is  now in the Clarksville UPS Center... So I called the UPS
investigations line. The person I spoke to was only able to say that the tracking # showed that the package was found and it was shipped to the original destination...It was noted that the package
was damaged...I inquired if this was a physical scan or a logical scan and was informed that the package was physically scanned in Memphis as damaged. The last scan, a logical scan was to Clarksville, Tn and will not receive
another physical scan until the trailer is unloaded..... I am glad the package was found, but the damaged part has me concerned now....at least as the receiver of the damaged package, I will be the one dealing with UPS
for a claim....
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Just wanted to add that the only persons to contact me about the package being found was the local UPS office. The seller also texted me and told me it had been found, but at the time the UPS site had not been updated.
So it seems that the local UPS office has their shit together and it seems the seller did a good follow thru.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#19]
glad it was found. Hopefully the package was only damaged and not the contents. Of course "Damaged" can mean anything from a slightly crushed corner of the box, to an empty box with the end completely torn off. Hell it could even be a scrap of cardboard with a mostly legible shipping label on it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Picked up rifle today, box tore all to hell, rifle fine. I was surprised to see rifle had California bullet button installed and 5 round magazine....Especially when the photos that I agreed to purchase from showed a 30 round pmag and no bullet button...texted rock3ralex and he agreed to send to me... all good so far.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad it worked out and the rifle was undamaged.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the replies and advice. My .02 cents from my experience is to always pay for the extra 2nd day air or overnight shipping and follow your packages with the tracking. In the event you notice
any possible issues, contact the carrier immediately. I held off reporting the rifle as stolen until UPS was done with their investigation in case the rifle was found. In my case it was found. In the event it had not been found
I would have filed a police report so that would land on the National registry as stolen. In the event UPS had found the rifle after they had paid a claim, the rifle would have went to the UPS auction sale(by reporting the rifle stolen
UPS would not have been able to auction rifle off and would have had to turn in to the police and maybe it would have made its way to the owner.)
   Something else to note is that UPS uses 2 types of tracking scans 1:a physical scan(which is an actual scan of the package) and  2: a logical scan(which is a predicted scan based on the destination of the package). Anytime
you contact UPS for tracking info on a package always ask for the physical scan location.  When using the UPS 800 service number be prepared to speak to folks in 1 of three locations(Arizona, Virginia or Central America). I received
the best service from the Arizona and Virginia groups. When I got the Central America group, I just hung up and kept calling back until I got one of the USA groups. My local UPS station in Clarksville was the best! Im just passing along
what I learned to maybe help someone else.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Good info.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#24]
UPS lost one of my wife's handguns. In spite of the fact that it had in three inch tall, bright red letters "adult signature required" on the front, they left it in the hall at our apartment complex. While the driver was stupid, the fact they were so incompetent seemingly put a rush on it all and they replaced it within a few weeks. Oddly enough the handgun they lost, a S&W 622 was subpar and it was replaced by a S&W 22S. My wife loves this one much more than the older handgun.

Sometimes them losing a package can end up to your advantage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top