Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 9:40:56 PM EDT
Well...the entire SEC is yawning.

Lackluster start so far, for sure.  I don't think the term "high-powered" will be used to describe this offense.  Meanwhile the average winning score on ESPN's NCAAF opening weekend scoreboard was 45 points.  The AVERAGE.  UT defense better bone up, cause the offense is not looking like it can match score for score.

We'll see, but another disappointing season built around excuses about building a team, which at best would have a 4-year shelf life anyways, is sure to be the end of Coach Jones.  He needs to show that UT can come out and play to dominate, not just keep pace.  In the end, coaching is the key difference between program success and failure.  I look forward to being excited about the Vols, versus hopeful.

Update...in typical UT style, they made it far more interesting than it should have been.  A shootout in the end, GT never looked beat or tired, and clearly matched UT step for step.  If not for the turnovers, GT would have had it.  Love that their coach went for the 2pts instead of another tie.  What an ending!  Pure luck that UT got that win with that drama.

Jones gets a reprieve, but not for long.  This is his season...make it or break it in Knoxville.  The team was flat for most of the game, and really hung in at the end.  The SEC will note the comeback, and the win, but no one will be fooled by a ranked team squeaking out a win by 1 point, gave up 655 yards, and had the ball for only 1/4 of the game.  Defense had it's moments, but that was pitiful.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
What a game
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Geaux Tigers. 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Jones gets a reprieve, but not for long.  This is his season...make it or break it in Knoxville.  The team was flat for most of the game, and really hung in at the end.  The SEC will note the comeback, and the win, but no one will be fooled by a ranked team squeaking out a win by 1 point, gave up 655 yards, and had the ball for only 1/4 of the game.  Defense had it's moments, but that was pitiful.
View Quote

I'm going to agree with you on this one.  Typically I don't fall for the typical UT "fire him for his first loss!" mentality that so many fans have demonstrated over the past 10+ years, but I have that feeling in my gut that another big change is about to be made this season.  Not that I approve or disapprove of it, but that's the vibe I get.

The Vols will always be the only college team I support, and I will always* enjoy watching them play, but their success in the 90's has morphed the athletic department and fans alike into something less organic, more corporate/commercial in nature.  Less sincere I guess.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geaux Tigers. 
View Quote
Kindly GTFO..... unless you are talking about your local high school team.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hahahha just stirring the pot my man.     I don't mind TN....but absolutely hate Bama and Florida.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hahahha just stirring the pot my man.     I don't mind TN....but absolutely hate Bama and Florida.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shall pass!!!!!
Just don't let us VFL's catch this disrespect agin!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dawg fans seem to be worse that Tide and Gator fans in that they talk a ton of shit and always are overrated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPg05vx54c
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
So......

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Lotta talk and rumors on the interwebs.  Truth be told, I do think Jones is on the warm seat.  It ain't hot yet.  But lose to GA in spectacular fashion (very real possibility), and that seat starts smoldering for sure.  There's a lotta talk he isn't handling the pressure well (see recent blow up with media) and his locker room presence is in question (heard this one every year though).  Mostly it's a lotta gossip, but you know where there's smoke there's usually fire (pun intended).  I think he's reached his ceiling as a head coach, especially in the talent-laden SEC.  He's just not prime time enough for UT.  Where we go from here very much depends on the money.  It's a business after all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
He had a blow up with the media?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He had a blow up with the media?
View Quote
Oh, yes!

He was asked a question about one of the injured players and he took an abrupt turn and lashed out at the media.

IMHO, he is on the hot seat. With the new AD history shows us that he might be in trouble. John Adams (not that I really care for him) had an article several months ago about UT coaches and new AD's.

I really think if he doesn't at least end up in Atlanta for the conference championship game he's done.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The end of the Jones era is very near.  That 9.3 million buy-out is starting to be less concerning, I imagine.  What a dud, and wholly uninspiring as a speaker.  He says the same cliche'd stuff.  "We didn't execute."  Well, no sh*t.  To turn one of his phrases, at the end of the day, a pathetic loss is a pathetic loss.  It's his team, all his recruits, choices, and excuses...he owns it.  The Vols will lose to Alabama (obviously) so bad that it will take years to forget the shame.  Worse, Vandy will have their way with the team.  I call a losing season now, 5 - 7, maybe even 4 - 8.  No chance of 9 - 3.  1 - 7 in SEC.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Im not reading any of the above. UT sucks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I was at the game.  Though a GA fan, it was sad to watch.  They just laid down and stopped trying, period.  Butch needs to go, TN deserves better than that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was at the game.  Though a GA fan, it was sad to watch.  They just laid down and stopped trying, period.  Butch needs to go, TN deserves better than that.
View Quote
We lost it from the first play.  It was really weird and uncharastic of a UT team to lay down like that.  We've had slow games before where it looked like the players were hung over, but this was something else altogether.  

Even a mediocre showing against GA would've staved off the "Fire HIM" crowd that UT fans seem to relish in every other year.  But that was like doubling/tripling down on the suck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We lost it from the first play.  It was really weird and uncharastic of a UT team to lay down like that.  We've had slow games before where it looked like the players were hung over, but this was something else altogether.  

Even a mediocre showing against GA would've staved off the "Fire HIM" crowd that UT fans seem to relish in every other year.  But that was like doubling/tripling down on the suck.
View Quote
How I am watching UT...
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How I am watching UT...
https://thecheckdowndotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/quaid.jpg
That's hilarious, because when I wrote that post, I was trying to make a metaphor for that movie, lol.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#20]
For the love of all that is good and right, fire Jones.

Now.

He has no answers, no ideas, no luck, and no clue.  He is so out of his league in the SEC.  UT has fallen far this season and looks to have little to build on for next year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Coach is an even bigger embarrassment than Corker and Alexander!  I am for firing all three of them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For the love of all that is good and right, fire Jones.

Now.

He has no answers, no ideas, no luck, and no clue.  He is so out of his league in the SEC.  UT has fallen far this season and looks to have little to build on for next year.
View Quote
I wonder what in the world has gone on over there to make everything fall apart?  I know Butch wasn't the best coach out there, but he had some pretty decent games the past few seasons.  I'm not so sure it's entirely his fault, but it's like the team says "oh you thought we were bad last week? Hold my beer and watch this".

The only silver light I can see about this whole thing is that it may serve to get rid of a lot of the shitty fans UT has attracted over the past decade or so.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Well it’s a team effort and I’m not speaking of the players. They need to start looking at the staff and axing them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#24]
yesterdays Vol walk, lots of security

2017-11-05_12-44-20 by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

and this guy

2017-11-05_12-21-52 by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Well they finally fired him and he is gone............along with $8.4 million of our tax dollars with his buy out!

Who is the FOOL negotiating Coaching contracts on Rocky Top?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well they finally fired him and he is gone............along with $8.4 million of our tax dollars with his buy out!

Who is the FOOL negotiating Coaching contracts on Rocky Top?
View Quote
I can’t really comment anymore on this since I just signed on as the new UT head coach.  What troubles me about the negotiations is they kept saying we can’t get any worse.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The end of the Jones era is very near...The Vols will lose to Alabama (obviously) so bad that it will take years to forget the shame...Worse, Vandy will have their way with the team.  I call a losing season now...maybe even 4 - 8.
View Quote
Called it...

Sad, sad season.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#28]
C'mon guys, look on the upside. The Voles set a record in school history than can never be topped -- 0 conference wins.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I just quit as head coach. I'm going back to being telemarketer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Local radio show (tony basilio show) is blaming the Haslam family right now for all the problems with UT football.  The $$$ and bad decisions and over-commercialization, etc.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Local radio show (tony basilio show) is blaming the Haslam family right now for all the problems with UT football.  The $$$ and bad decisions and over-commercialization, etc.  
View Quote
I think he is on to something.

Let's look at who the "man behind the curtain " has been for the last several hires.

Clue #1, he's been the one to hire the last several coaches.......

Clue #2, he's been so successful with the pro team he bought........

Clue #3, he has been implicated by one of the ones who has plead guilty at the fraud trial.......

Are we getting a clearer picture now? Everything I have heard about him says he is a supreme micro manager, and it shows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top