Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:37:08 AM EDT
Hi all, planning on escaping New York in the next few years, and currently researching the Johnson City area. Anyone have any info on it, good gun shops, ranges, areas to avoid, etc.?
 I visited East Tennessee last year, hit Sweetwater, Knoxville, Chattanooga. I really liked the area around Gatlinburg and SMNP, but I don't want to live in Touristville, so I thought I'd look into Johnson City.
 Thanks for any replies...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea if it's even still there, but when I lived in JC back around 1997 or so the Unaka Rod & Gun club was pretty nice.  Keycard private access, no ROs, decent facilities, and membership was pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Other gun ranges/clubs are Kettlefoot and Tac2.  Tac2 is in Greeneville, so about 45 mins away; Kettlefoot is in Bristol, VA, so about 30-40 minutes from you.  Tac2 is much more reasonably priced than Kettlefoot.  Used to be a member at Kettlefoot and they have changed pricing enough to drive me away.  Great facilities at Kettlefoot, but the membership, is in my opinion ridiculous.  I am a member at Tac2, and other than the roads sucking, it's a good range.  I shoot IDPA there as well.  

Kettlefoot has trap and skeet, and I believe they still have sporting clays still available; my brother shoots trap and skeet fairly frequently and he seems to always complain about the throwers not always working correctly.  They also have an archery range, dedicated .22 range, pistol ranges, 300 yard rifle range.  Last time I was up there (about 4 months ago), they had no steel targets.  

Tac2 has pistol bays and a 200 yard and 200-600 yard rifle range.  All bays at Tac2 have different types of steel targets and paper target stands.

Indoor ranges are Shooters Edge (about 15 minutes from Johnson City) and Barnetts in Hampton, TN (about 30-40 minutes away).

Outdoor public ranges I only shoot at when there is no one there, I have had too many negative experiences to risk my life anymore

As far as gunshops, I don't buy anything except a few items around here due to prices.  I purchase powder and primers at Cabelas.  I use Military Outdoor Supply for transfers which are $25 for firearms, and $50 for NFA.

Sorry for the wall of text  Early welcome to freedom
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Cherokee Rod and Gun is in Kingsport.  I think its 80 per year or 100 if you cant volunteer 4 hours per year.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no idea if it's even still there, but when I lived in JC back around 1997 or so the Unaka Rod & Gun club was pretty nice.  Keycard private access, no ROs, decent facilities, and membership was pretty cheap.
View Quote
It's still there but they do have a RO. I went with a friend last year, who is a member, and the RO kept hinting for us to leave so he could go home. Nothing better than, shot..shot..."yeah, it's about beer thirty"....Shot shot "yeah, been a long day"...

Cherokee Rod and Gun is better IMO
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seriously gotta find a private range. These US Forest Service ranges can be down right dangerous when more than 3 people are trying to shoot. On that note OP, avoid the Forest Service ranges when you can or at least go at odd times.

There are at least 2 close to JC. I live very close to one and I could easily go multiple times a day if I wanted but the people just suck the fun out of it for the most part. Oh and you gotta bring your own targets and stands if you don't want to be limited to the crap netting they put up to hang targets on. That is another PITA that sucks the fun out of going.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, JC looks like a nice place, will definitely look deeper into it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you want city life, look towards the county side of living.Washington, carter or Unicoi are close enough to stores w/o city life drama

Plus look for property you can shoot on, cant do that in city limits, good luck
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unless you want city life, look towards the county side of living.Washington, carter or Unicoi are close enough to stores w/o city life drama

Plus look for property you can shoot on, cant do that in city limits, good luck
View Quote
Unicoi County is full thanks.

Whenever I talk to people who have moved to this area, I found that a lot of them like the Jonesborough area in Washington County. It's very close to JC but still country enough to be able to do what you want in your backyard. It would be something to look into.

If you do come to Unicoi County, be prepared to pay for flat land. Any land that is cheap is going to be on the side of a hill. All the flat land is taken up by the towns and farmers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unicoi County is full thanks.

Whenever I talk to people who have moved to this area, I found that a lot of them like the Jonesborough area in Washington County. It's very close to JC but still country enough to be able to do what you want in your backyard. It would be something to look into.

If you do come to Unicoi County, be prepared to pay for flat land. Any land that is cheap is going to be on the side of a hill. All the flat land is taken up by the towns and farmers.
View Quote
A fellow Unicoi resident?!  I thought I was the only one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are not alone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You are not alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not alone.
Well, you guys had an elephant, but you hanged her.

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, you guys had an elephant, but you hanged her.

View Quote
We didn't have an elephant, the circus had the elephant. We just had the equipment to be the executioners.

That had to be a sight to see. I wonder if that was the only elephant to have ever been hanged.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in JC. Have since 96. I love it here. Unaka is a good place to shoot. I was a member there for years and even on the board for a couple years. As they have said. The public ranges are a mixed bag. They can be out right dangerous. As to gun shops to avoid, we have finnaly ran off all the outright crooks. Most of the rest are what you would expect. Everyone has their favorite to love and hate.

Feel free to message me if you need. And if you are in the area Holler at me for a tour if you like.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Northeast TN, upper East TN, is a good area.  If you like any of the following then you will like it here.  Hunting, fly fishing, bass fishing, striper fishing, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, shooting, no traffic, mediocre healthcare. I spent 30 years in and around Knoxville and about 15 here.  It's slower paced here.  Property in Washington co is high IMO but cross into one of the surrounding counties and prices drop.  Drive on 11E from JC thru Greeneville to I-81.  One of my favorite drives.  Go up to beauty spot in Unicoi co, carvers gap, or Holston mountain and have a look around.
I shoot out at Cherokee rod and gun. Not perfect but better than national forest public ranges, Unaka(they hover) and Kettlefoot (overpriced).  I'd join TAC2 if you could shoot the 600 yard range anytime.  IMHO, YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top