BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2017 10:23:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Midway USA has them in stock.  You just cost me some money by seeing this post.  Now I just need to find a drill press.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
My credit card does not like you at the moment.  Bought an Alpha Wolf RMR 17 slide and barrel to go with my 80% frame.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually ordered the v1.5 in black.  Didn't want to get too colorful with my selection.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there some place selling parts kits to complete them at a reasonable price?

Not long after they came out, it seemed like the best option (price) was to buy a complete pistol and strip it for parts to put on the Polymer80 frame, which sort of defeats the purpose.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not long after they came out, it seemed like the best option (price) was to buy a complete pistol and strip it for parts to put on the Polymer80 frame, which sort of defeats the purpose.
View Quote
MidwayUSA has them.  Occasionally they may run the frame part kits for 39.99, but haven't seen that in awhile.

Glock 17 Slide Parts
Glock 17 Frame Parts
Glock 19 Frame Parts
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can buy all of the individual parts to compete the build, but it would be cheaper to just buy a glock.  The build your own gun off this frame makes sense if you want to build up a competition gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Took another look at these, and it looks like the company is listening to customer feedback.  If I'm following correctly, the 940ver1 only had metal rails on the front, which some potential customers thought wasn't enough, so the 940Cver1 and 940ver2 have metal rails at the front and back.  The odd looking texture of the 940ver1 grip seems to have been dropped when the rear metal rails were added.

Thought popped into my head that it might be interesting to build an alloy framed version.  Did a quick search, and it's already out there (with replaceable rear straps, so the 1911 grip angle is an option), but I didn't see it offered as an 80% (just completed frames).

Does anybody offer a kit to change the trigger to a traditional single action (though that would also require adding a manual safety, somehow)?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think that would work with the Glock system
View Quote
I doubt it would, but there's always somebody out there with the "don't tell me it won't work, I just haven't gotten creative enough, yet" attitude, so you never know.

I was surprised to see that there are aftermarket 'race' frames in stainless steel.

I guess you can actually improve on "perfection".

I've never managed to shoot well with long trigger pulls, so I've been staying away from the Glock system.  I can manage decent accuracy with slow fire, but everything goes to shit when I try to shoot multiple targets fast (or even multiple hits on a single target, fast).  1911, Makarov, and various other single action or DA/SA handguns, don't give me any trouble (and for some strange reason I seem to do slightly better on the 1911 with rapid fire, than with slow fire).

The urge to tinker with stuff, seems to be my biggest motivation in looking at the polymer80 handguns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched a few youtube videos on the polymer80 kits.  

One was a guy that finished the frame (the 940C) and assembled the pistol on the tailgate of his pickup in about 30 minutes, then tested it out.  Looks a lot easier than what I had read before the compact frame came out (the polymer rear rails on the original kits looked like they would eat up some time getting them right).

It's a very interesting project.

After the house is done and I've got everything moved, I'll have to try one.

ETA: video

ETA2:  video showing more conservative methods  part 1   part 2
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Brownells currently has the 940C kit on sale ($30 off).
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
SWITCH review

'Comes closer to a 1911 trigger, than other Glock triggers.'

Hmm...

I can see this turning into an expensive project.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn you... You can also get $10 off of that with code LDD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could be worse.

I'm in the middle of trying to finish a house, without getting a bank loan.  I currently have zero funds to spend on anything gun related.  If somebody posted that Walmart has bricks of Winchester Wildcats in stock, and has put them on sale for $20 a brick, I'd have to stay away from Walmart.

So my only option was to post that information for the enjoyment of those who could currently buy them.  Since the price is so low, don't you think you should buy two or three?  You never know if a deal like that will ever come around again.

They also have the version 2 of the full size kit available for pre-order, at the same price.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Could be worse.

I'm in the middle of trying to finish a house, without getting a bank loan.  I currently have zero funds to spend on anything gun related.  If somebody posted that Walmart has bricks of Winchester Wildcats in stock, and has put them on sale for $20 a brick, I'd have to stay away from Walmart.

So my only option was to post that information for the enjoyment of those who could currently buy them.  Since the price is so low, don't you think you should buy two or three?  You never know if a deal like that will ever come around again.

They also have the version 2 of the full size kit available for pre-order, at the same price.
View Quote
You are a bad, bad man....
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Brownells still has the PF940Cv1 (compact) kits on sale.  I don't know if it's just a holiday weekend sale, but if it is, this is probably the last day they will be available at $30 off.

In stock:

Black with the textured grip

Coyote with the textured grip (Coyote is apparently only available through Brownells)

Coyote with the ReadyMod smooth grip (do your own texturing)

Flat Dark Earth with the textured grip

OD Green with the textured grip

Tactical Grey with the textured grip

Available for pre-order (their site says "select items on sale" at $119.99, but when I select a color, it goes back to $149.99, so now I'm not sure what the pricing is   ):

PF940v2 (full size) kit

Black

Coyote

Flat Dark Earth

Grey

OD Green

ETA:  Brownells also seems to be the only place that you can order the PF940Cv1 in an "Aggressive" textured grip.  From the pictures I have seen, the "Aggressive" texture looks more like fine checkering, instead of the random pattern on the standard PF940Cv1.  (also on sale for $30 off)

Black

Grey

Flat Dark Earth

Coyote

OD Green

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]
One cent shipping from Brownells, today.

PF940Cv1 kit sale price of $119.99

$10 coupon code posted earlier in this thread

$0.01 shipping, today

Total (shipped with an estimated delivery of 9/7/2017)):  $110

Yeah, I couldn't stand it, anymore.

PF940Cv1 kit in Coyote with Aggressive finish.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I got one before I called you a bad, bad man.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Still on sale, this morning, so I guess it wasn't just a holiday sale.

They also seem to have fixed whatever was wrong with pre-ordering version 2 of the full size 940, as selecting the 17 model and 9mm shows the sale price when you click on each of the colors.

And the Polymer80 AR-15 and 308 AR lowers are also on sale.

After ordering the 940Cv1 kit, I tried to remember the last time I built a gun.  Sometime last winter, I think.  The shop is currently a mess, with part of it in the new house in storage totes, and the big stuff still in the basement of my parents' house (can't move it until I no longer need saw horses set up in the shop in the new house).  

That's probably why the Polymer80 videos looked so interesting.  No shop needed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
PF940Cver1 kit in Coyote.
Attachment Attached File

Closeup of the "Aggressive" texture on the grip (not fine checkering, as I had originally thought).  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#31]
It's not uncomfortable to grip.  Doesn't feel like it's biting into the skin, but will probably do a very good job of preventing any slipping.  Feels kinda like fine grit sandpaper.

Frame completion parts have shipped (estimated delivery on Wednesday), and mags (one G19 mag and two G17 mags) have been ordered, but I really am going to have to hold off a few weeks on ordering the parts for the slide assembly.  I'll probably finish the frame and put it together during lunch breaks, next week, but it could be a month or more before I find out if 200 rounds in an afternoon leaves my hand raw.

Going to be fairly conservative with the parts selection, at first, then swap the trigger for a better one when the budget allows.  If I like it with the better trigger, I'll probably start slowly gathering parts for a version 2 of the full size model, and wander a little farther from 'stock' with that one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Frame completion parts were in the mailbox when I got home, today.

I guess I need to spend some time cleaning up the top of my toolbox at work, and see if I can make some progress on the frame during lunch.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Did Glock take a look at the pivot pin detent and spring on the AR, laugh, and say "We can design an entire pistol around something this frustrating.  In fact, we can do better!"?

Maybe it's because everything is new and tight...

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  I would not recommend using the end mill and drill press to cut out the slot for the recoil spring assembly, unless you have a big and hefty cross slide vise and a stout drill press.  I tried that method, decided the vise and drill press that I was using were not up to the task of holding things securely (end mill was jumping around, a bit), and finished removing the material with a round file and Xacto knife.

A dremel works fairly well for removing the majority of the material at the four spots on the upper sides of the frame.  The Xacto knife and a flat file work well for taking the rest off and cleaning it up.

Tool list for the next frame (if I end up doing another one):
- the drill bits and jig included in the kit
- hand held drill for drilling the pin holes
- small bench vise (clamp the jig snug, but not tight)
- dremel
- Xacto knife
- flat and round files
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
I would wait for the two.  I have the 1.5 and it is pretty much a single shot pistol.  It doesn't like to go into battery if your finger is still holding down the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
and

I assume you're referring to the trigger pin? It can be a REAL asshole to get in and out, even on a Glock that gets shot a lot and parts changed frequently.

I was planning on doing mine (whenever I do get around to doing it) with dremel/files/sandpaper/handheld drill. I've been doing holster and frame work with the dremel so I think I've developed a decent touch with it.
View Quote
That trigger pin doesn't get any easier to get in and out over time?!?!?  

All of the pins were tight enough that I was cringing as I installed them, worrying that I was going to break something, but that trigger pin had me to the point that I was debating whether or not to get the big hammer and decide things, one way or another.  I don't know if it had a sense of what I was thinking, but it suddenly slipped past whatever had been stopping it, then found something else to hang on (fortunately, that one wasn't as bad as the first hang up).

One 'this is NOT going to work' issue came up.  The frame completion kit from Midway came with an extended mag release.  Nice big rectangle sticking way out there, with a grooved surface and nice sharp corners.

I'm left handed.

Good thing that extended mag release is as easy to trim as the frame was.  It now tapers to an oval shaped end (still grooved), with the edges rounded.  No more sharp edges digging into my middle finger and trigger finger (mainly my middle finger).
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go to about 9:30 for the trigger pin reinstallation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/feyUqxr5lw8
View Quote
Would have been nice if my pins went in as easy as those did.  

My daughter has declared that she doesn't like the "aggressive" texture.  That means I don't have to worry about her possibly claiming it as her gun.  She already tried that, once.  The day I got the frame kit, she asked what was in the box, and I told her it was my birthday present (well, it was close enough to my birthday) and handed her the box so she could see what was in it.  Somehow, she heard that as it was her birthday present (our birthdays are two weeks apart).  

I quickly corrected her.  "No, my birthday present.  MINE.  My... precious..."

Since I'm stuck waiting a few weeks for the budget to allow buying more parts, I've been thinking (yes, I know that is a dangerous thing to do).  I re-watched the review of the SWITCH trigger, and the guy seems to have detailed every feature of the package.

- Ghost Edge connector (Brownells sells them for 22 bucks and change)

- Different shape for the trigger shoe and an oilite bushing in the trigger pin hole (probably no source for buying this individually, but I don't know if I would consider the shape that big of an improvement, and I'm wondering if McMaster has oilite bushing material of the correct size - I do have a lathe, if the material isn't quite the right size)

- Polished trigger bar with a change in the shape of the edge that contacts the plunger (a stock trigger and trigger bar is around 13 bucks, or I could just buy another frame completion kit and have an assortment of spare parts... polishing a trigger bar would take a little time, and the review did show a fairly good closeup of the change in the shape of that edge...)
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I figured there had to be a point where doing this could lessen the effectiveness of one or more safety features of the factory design.  All the more reason to do the modifications to spare parts.

Rough plan:

1. Finish the gun with stock parts and try it out.  If there are no problems (or after problems are fixed), move on to step 2.

2. Swap the stock connector with a Ghost Edge connector and try it out.  If there are no problems, move on to step 3.

3. Swap the stock trigger and trigger bar for one with a polished trigger bar (and maybe oilite bushing in the trigger, or maybe split this into two steps, one without the oilite bushing and one with the oilite bushing) and try it out.  If there are no problems, move on to step 4.

4. Swap the trigger and trigger bar for one with an oilite bushing in the trigger, polished trigger bar, and the edge of the bar that contacts the plunger reshaped, and try it out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#43]
If I have seen this answered somewhere, I don't remember it.

Will a 17 slide assembly work on a 19 sized frame (sort of a 19L)?

Budget issues are still driving me nuts, but the lower priced 19 slide parts seem to mainly be out of stock, at the moment, while the lower priced 17 slide parts are in stock.  I suspect that this will reverse, when the 940v2 kits finally show up, so maybe buy 17 slide parts now (and test out the lower, if the full size slide can be used on a compact frame), then buy 19 slide parts when everybody is building the second gen full size kits.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a feeling that you will have a gap where the spring is showing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I checked Brownells, again, and the 19gen3 slide completion parts kits were back in stock.

Ordered one.

Got the email confirming that the order had been received.

Got the email notifying me that the order was being processed.

Over six hours later, got an email notifying me that the slide completion parts kits were back in stock (from where I had set up a notification for them when they were out of stock).

Maybe the lower priced barrels will suddenly be back in stock, next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Brownells and Midway are now showing version 2 of the full size frames (Glock 17 size) as "in stock" (only in black, so far).  

Same price at both places (about $150), but Brownells has a coupon code (M7R) for free shipping on orders over $49.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Brownells and Midway are now showing version 2 of the full size frames (Glock 17 size) as "in stock" (only in black, so far).  

Same price at both places (about $150), but Brownells has a coupon code (M7R) for free shipping on orders over $49.
View Quote
Hopefully, Midway will get off their duffs and ship mine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm waiting until I get the compact one finished, tested, and see how I like the trigger mods, before deciding whether or not to order a full size frame.

And I think I would still prefer the coyote frame (with black slide and other parts) over the black frame.  Might try the normal texture, though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ll let you know how mine turns out.  My v1.5 looks good, but doesn’t function correctly.  Fails to return to battery and doesn’t reset the striker.  Hope that the 2.0 fixes this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top