Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 4:56:55 PM EDT

REMOVED
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Bullet holes in my house would make me want to close it down myself.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You can counter the lead pollution question with a couple of reports from the EPA and the NRA on the topic - the bottom line is that the lead is not a pollutant, but if you are worried about that, you can mitigate by spreading lime to adjust the soil pH.
www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/facility_mngmnt/environment/key_questions.htm

The second thing you have to do is get the shooters to stop elevating muzzles higher than the berms behind the backstop.  Make it primary club rule with no second chances, even for the old time founding members.  You have to get this under control.

You and your club need to get ahold of Effingham County Sportsman's Club in Effingham, Illinois and talk to them about their forced range closure and what steps were required to reopen.

If you have bullets leaving the range, your club is in trouble and I'm surprised someone hasn't closed you down already.  If that happens, and there are houses within 1200 yards of the firing points down range, my guess is that you will stay closed for ever.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah- the lead issue is a non-issue, unless you have VERY acidic (or was it base?) soil.   And even then, it was just a matter of adding lime to balance it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Since last year, Taylor has learned more about safe operation of ranges. An avid shooter, Taylor is in the process of designing a state-of-the-art range in Carter County that he said will pose no danger to the surrounding community.

His research on how to build a safe range makes Taylor even more convinced the Unaka Rod and Gun Club ranges are a danger to the community.

well schucks, there is your answer right there- he doesn't want competition for his range.  

although if he could prove the bullets are coming from your range and impacting houses, sounds like it should be shut down.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
10,000 lbs of lead?  Who the heck is doing the math?

Estimating a 1-1/16th oz load, times 200 shots a year equals 212.5 oz of lead, or 13.28 pounds.  Multiply that times 50 shooters and you get 664 lbs.  Way less than the proported 10,000 lbs.  You'd have to shoot over 150,000 rounds of 12 gauge for that.  You'd have to shoot over half a million rounds of 9mm to get 10,000 lbs.  Or 1.27 million rounds of 223.  

No wonder this guy became a reporter, because he'd never make it as an accountant, or even a gas station attendant.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bullet holes in my house would make me want to close it down myself.

Then don't build your house on top of hill just above a firing range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the article, the range has been operating since 1965.  I seriously doubt those houses on top of the ridge, with the supposed bullet holes, were built before 1965.  Probably the same idiots that buy a house right near the airport, then complain about jet noise......
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Then don't build your house on top of hill just above a firing range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the article, the range has been operating since 1965.  I seriously doubt those houses on top of the ridge, with the supposed bullet holes, were built before 1965.  Probably the same idiots that buy a house right near the airport, then complain about jet noise......

You're getting into a very thin area here with that statement.

Yes, if the range was there before the houses then that is one thing, especially concerning *noise* complaints from them, if any. They do not have a right (IMHO) to voice complaints about the noise since the range was there first.

However, if you impact the use of land owned by others then that is an entirely different matter altogether. Either the range needs to buy that land or somehow keep the bullets from impacting it. You cannot say that just because the range was here before the houses that whoever owns that land should only do with it what the range dictates. Once the bullets get off of range property and on to someone else's land, then that is a *major* problem.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
10,000 lbs of lead?  Who the heck is doing the math?

Estimating a 1-1/16th oz load, times 200 shots a year equals 212.5 oz of lead, or 13.28 pounds.  Multiply that times 50 shooters and you get 664 lbs.  Way less than the proported 10,000 lbs.  You'd have to shoot over 150,000 rounds of 12 gauge for that.  You'd have to shoot over half a million rounds of 9mm to get 10,000 lbs.  Or 1.27 million rounds of 223.  

No wonder this guy became a reporter, because he'd never make it as an accountant, or even a gas station attendant.

He didn't say 200 shots, he said 200 lbs. of shot per year.  I know a lot of shooters who do that on a regular baisis.  Basicly any serious trap, skeet or sporting clays shooter!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He didn't say 200 shots, he said 200 lbs. of shot per year.  I know a lot of shooters who do that on a regular baisis.  Basicly any serious trap, skeet or sporting clays shooter!

For the record, he didn't say 200 lbs, he said "200 pounds", which I, like a the goofball that I am, misread as 200 rounds.  OOPS.
But still, the 10,000 lbs of lead a year seems a little over the top for an outdoor range.  The indoor range that I belong to claims to recycle 25,000 lbs of lead a year, but thats a range with 12 shooting lanes that's open 6 days a week, and it's the only indoor range avaiable for an area with a population of over 1,000,000 people, so it stays really busy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I am just trying to figure out where the range is.  I lived in JC for 5 years and had heard of it but thought it was way out in the sticks.

Sounds like he is trying to eliminate competition for his Carter Co range.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
REMOVED

WHY???
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#12]
how about i just lock it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top