Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 7:03:16 AM EDT
Well I am a Junior in Highschool and its around this time that we have to look into college stuff, so I was wondering if you guys have any first hand info on some of these Universitys and such:

Middle Tennessee State University
Tennessee State University
Memphis University

Im looking into going the Criminal Justice route. So if you have any info about that (pretaining to the schools above) it would be awesome.

Or if you have an other schools I could take a look at it would be great.

Please don't shun me away because I am a teenager. I am resonsible and polite to all of you guys on here.

Thanks in advnace.
Carter.

PS: I have visited their websites so no need to point me in that direction.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience w/ the three you listed, I went to UT Knoxville...but here are some things to think about.

You can save significant money by doing your first year or two at a community college.  Just be sure the one you pick has a credit transfer program in place w/ the university you're looking at to complete your degree.  

I'd have paid off my student loans over two years earlier had I gone that route, and my degree would say the same thing.  The core curriculum of English, math, social sciences, etc. is very standardized, you don't get into the good stuff of your degree program until junior year no matter how you go.

A community college will generally have smaller class sizes and much less of a 'washout' mindset, much more helpful that critical first year.

Hope this helps, and good luck whichever route you take!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a grad of MTSU & I have been to TSU numerous times as a potential student & working on their equipment. I also have known many TSU students.

TSU offers whites a minority scholarship & MTSU offers blacks the same. Pick where you fit in, if you'd like?

After having been on TSU's campus numerous times, I can safely say it would be the same day Hillarah Klinton addressed the NRA Convention before I would EVER go to school there. One cannot simply imagine the bureaucracy & general idiocy & ineptness that plagues TSU.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Your only realistic choice out of those three is MTSU.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to Memphis and you will experience the criminal justice system firsthand, as a victim.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am a grad of MTSU & I have been to TSU numerous times as a potential student & working on their equipment. I also have known many TSU students.

TSU offers whites a minority scholarship & MTSU offers blacks the same. Pick where you fit in, if you'd like?

After having been on TSU's campus numerous times, I can safely say it would be the same day Hillarah Klinton addressed the NRA Convention before I would EVER go to school there. One cannot simply imagine the bureaucracy & general idiocy & ineptness that plagues TSU.

My .o2

Well that one is offically off the list..... I don't have this set in stone yet so I am keeping my options open.
5thCav I have though of doing that but I still have some time to look a lottle further.

If you have any furthur info to share with me that would be great.

A very BIG thank you for this Guys.
Carter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to ETSU and gradutated in Criminal Justice.  I dont know if they even still have a program or not.  I graduated in '94.  Liked the school and the area.  At the time they had a good program.  Dont know much about it now though.

Had a friend that went the community college route the first couple of years and he did pay his loans off quicker than me.  I actually just finished paying mine off last year. Something to think about.

Good luck with your choice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well I am a Junior in Highschool and its around this time that we have to look into college stuff, so I was wondering if you guys have any first hand info on some of these Universitys and such:

Middle Tennessee State University
Tennessee State University
Memphis University

Im looking into going the Criminal Justice route. So if you have any info about that (pretaining to the schools above) it would be awesome.

Or if you have an other schools I could take a look at it would be great.

Please don't shun me away because I am a teenager. I am resonsible and polite to all of you guys on here.

Thanks in advnace.
Carter.

PS: I have visited their websites so no need to point me in that direction.

MTSU, of the 3 choices you presented - no question.  Others worth looking into are UTC (Chattanooga) and ETSU.  I did most of my prepharmacy work at UTC, and recommend looking at it also.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
From all the college kids I know that go there,MTSU rocks! They say it is a way underrated school and they are happy they go there. Now, I hope you are doing more research than this to find a school to go to. I'd seriously hatefor you to go there and find out you hate it. Good luck,I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]
i'm a senior at mtsu.  i have enjoyed my stay here.  the campus is friendly. this is a big school (23k undergrad), so it's got lots to offer.  i'm an aero major and i recommend that you stay away from aerospace or recording industry majors- not the people, just mark those off the options list- there's no work there.  i would recommend mtsu.  i don't have any experience with the CJ department- there are opportunities for sutdents to work as "student patrol" or dispatch with the police dept.  i'm sure there's more- feel free to ask.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top