Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 6:34:06 PM EDT
I'm planning a 50 mile week long hike with the Boy Scouts a week from tomorrow. We're planning to go in on Henry's Fork Trailhead, go down through Gunsite Pass (best name ever), summit Kings Peaks and perhaps South Kings, then drop west through Anderson pass and make our way towards Smiths Fork pass into Red Castle. From there, we'd hike out to China Meadows campground. 

Anyone done anything along this route? I'm planning on mosquitos and thunderstorms, but I've never been to Kings and Red Castle looks amazing. 

Most of my scouts are reasonably accomplished hikers. We did 50 miles in the Wind River Range two years ago.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I took a week off work and did a 5 day hike to Kings Peak in September a few years back.

It rained here and there but only one good one hit us. It was a blast and I want to do it again. Lots of mountain lakes with easy to catch trout. The summit was busy, trails of hikers going up and down.  Sounds like an awesome scout trip with the right group of boys.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can get up around Dollar Lake and Gunsite pass and spend the night and then hit Kings Peak the next morning. It will allow you to beat the crowds in the morning as well as the afternoon thunderstorms that can be quite scary while on the peak.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can get up around Dollar Lake and Gunsite pass and spend the night and then hit Kings Peak the next morning. It will allow you to beat the crowds in the morning as well as the afternoon thunderstorms that can be quite scary while on the peak.
View Quote
That's the plan. Camp at Dollar Lake and get up early and get through Gunsite. We'll probably camp in Artist's basin the next night, so we'll dump (or lighten) our packs there and get up to the Peak. I'm worried about the thunderstorms there too, so I want to get up and down quickly. Will update after I get back.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top