Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 1:14:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think if your in SLC county suppressors are not allowed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If you haven't already done so, give James at FBMG a call.  If anyone can help, I would bet he can.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Utah county and have been told it's no problem down here, but in Salt Lake county it's a pain. From what I have been told, you need to go through your local CLEO and if he won't do it you have to keep going up the chain, but once you get to the top the AG will do it. This is what I have been told, I do not have any experience with SL county.

I agree with MiniZ, give the guys at FMBG a call, they seem to know the ins and outs of class III.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a suppressor signed off by Sheriff Kennard in Aug 2003.  My friend just had one signed off in Nov 2005.  We both live in Salt Lake County, serviced by the Shariffs dept.  I think you have to go through the Sheriffs Range Maser/ Firearms Director.  Contact them @ 801-467-0887.  He is a little more difficult to meet w/ and takes his time to sign off, unlike Sheriff Kennard did for me.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It does not matter where you live in Utah, suppressors are allowed. Your local county or city (like Salt Lake) may try to prohibit you from owning one, but the AG's office will sign off on it if your pissant CLEO wont. And they do not like the fact that Rocky's liberal morons are trying to subvert the States laws.

If you have issues, and the locals wont, you can go to the AG's office at the last minute. But the SLC Sherrif signs quite a few of them for our customers.

Dan, call me at the shop on another issue when you get time.

571-1160
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if there is any set process to how it's done, but I was told you should start with you local CLEO then work your way up the chain until some one will sign it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I've found the easiest way to get an answer or determination to a weapon question is to call the Utah BCI directly, 801-965-4445.  

I had to do this awhile back when a UHP tells me that my CCW doesn't apply to the loaded 22 rifle on my truck seat because I can't conceal it on myself!? WTF? He then proceeds to tell me that the legislature changed the rules regarding CCW's a few years back! Needless to say he was/is an idiot, I just wish i had got his name so as to call his supervisor and let him know about this guy making up laws that don't exist.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've found the easiest way to get an answer or determination to a weapon question is to call the Utah BCI directly, 801-965-4445.  

I had to do this awhile back when a UHP tells me that my CCW doesn't apply to the loaded 22 rifle on my truck seat because I can't conceal it on myself!? WTF? He then proceeds to tell me that the legislature changed the rules regarding CCW's a few years back! Needless to say he was/is an idiot, I just wish i had got his name so as to call his supervisor and let him know about this guy making up laws that don't exist.

CCW does not cover a loaded firearm on your truck seat, I think BCI was mistaken, your loaded firearm has to be concealed. It could be in your glove box, under your seat , but not visible at a glance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for you...
CCW does not cover a loaded firearm on your truck seat, I think BCI was mistaken right, your loaded firearm has doesn't need to be concealed. It could be in your glove box, under your seat , but not visible at a glance.

A concealed weapon permit in Utah gives you exemptions from 3 laws.

1. The ability to conceal a weapon on your person or in a vehicle.
2. The abliity to have a loaded firearm on your person or in a vehicle.
3. The ability to have a weapon on in or around public school property.

76-10-523.   Persons exempt from weapons laws.

(1)  This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
      (a)  a United States marshal;
      (b)  a federal official required to carry a firearm;
      (c)  a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
      (d)  a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
      (e)  a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
      (f)  a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
      (g)  a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
      (i)  unloaded; and
      (ii)  securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
      (2)  The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1)(a), (1)(b), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
      (a)  pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
      (b)  by another state or county.

76-10-504.   Carrying concealed dangerous weapon -- Penalties.

(1)  Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2) and (3):
      (a)  a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501, which is not a firearm on his person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in a place other than his residence, property, or business under his control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor; and
      (b)  a person without a valid concealed firearm permit who carries a concealed dangerous weapon which is a firearm and that contains no ammunition is guilty of a class B misdemeanor, but if the firearm contains ammunition the person is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
      (2)  A person who carries concealed a sawed-off shotgun or a sawed-off rifle is guilty of a second degree felony.
      (3)  If the concealed firearm is used in the commission of a violent felony as defined in Section 76-3-203.5, and the person is a party to the offense, the person is guilty of a second degree felony.
      (4)  Nothing in Subsection (1) shall prohibit a person engaged in the lawful taking of protected or unprotected wildlife as defined in Title 23, Wildlife Resources Code, from carrying a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm with a barrel length of four inches or greater as long as the taking of wildlife does not occur:
      (a)  within the limits of a municipality in violation of that municipality's ordinances; or
      (b)  upon the highways of the state as defined in Section 41-6a-102.

76-10-505.   Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street. (Exemption is given in 76-10-523.   Persons exempt from weapons laws.)

(1)  Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
      (a)  in or on a vehicle;
      (b)  on any public street; or
      (c)  in a posted prohibited area.
      (2)  A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

Title 53B -- State System Of Higher Education  

53B-3-103.   Power of board to adopt rules and enact regulations.

(1)  The board may enact regulations governing the conduct of university and college students, faculty, and employees.
      (2) (a)  The board may:
      (i)  enact and authorize higher education institutions to enact traffic, parking, and related regulations governing all individuals on campuses and other facilities owned or controlled by the institutions or the board; and
      (ii)  authorize higher education institutions to establish no more than one secure area at each institution as a hearing room as prescribed in Section 76-8-311.1, but not otherwise restrict the lawful possession or carrying of firearms.
      (b)  In addition to the requirements and penalty prescribed in Subsections 76-8-311.1(3), (4), (5), and (6), the board shall make rules to ensure that:
      (i)  reasonable means such as mechanical, electronic, x-ray, or similar devices are used to detect firearms, ammunition, or dangerous weapons contained in the personal property of or on the person of any individual attempting to enter a secure area hearing room;
      (ii)  an individual required or requested to attend a hearing in a secure area hearing room is notified in writing of the requirements related to entering a secured area hearing room under this Subsection (2)(b) and Section 76-8-311.1;
      (iii)  the restriction of firearms, ammunition, or dangerous weapons in the secure area hearing room is in effect only during the time the secure area hearing room is in use for hearings and for a reasonable time before and after its use; and
      (iv)  reasonable space limitations are applied to the secure area hearing room as warranted by the number of individuals involved in a typical hearing.
      (3)  The board and institutions may enforce these rules and regulations in any reasonable manner, including the assessment of fees, fines, and forfeitures, the collection of which may be by withholding from moneys owed the violator, the imposition of probation, suspension, or expulsion from the institution, the revocation of privileges, the refusal to issue certificates, degrees, and diplomas, through judicial process or any reasonable combination of these alternatives.

I hope this helps define what rights a CCW affords a valid permit holder for those less than informed.

-Edited to add that I am staying at a Holiday Inn!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Last time I checked on your seat is not concealed. You might be able to debate the fact that your truck or car might conceal it but that would be your opinion against the officer who stopped you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
The state says it's illegal to have a firearm concealed in a vehicle, thats all that #1 addresses. So legally you need to have them in plain view, locked in a case or  in the trunk if you have a car.

The answer to you arguement lies with #2, it deals with the fact  that regardless of whether the firearm is concealed or in plain view it is illegal to have loaded without a permit to do so.

You should really read up on the state legislatures website.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]

I guess I am confused with what exemptions are, to me this says you can have a loaded concealed firearm in your car with a CCW, but it has to be concealed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I guess I am confused with what exemptions are, to me this says you can have a loaded concealed firearm in your car with a CCW, but it has to be concealed.

Just because you have a CCW and a loaded firearm in your vehicle doesn't mean you have to have it concealed, (read) when your in a vehicle it's your choice to have it in plain view or concealed with a CCW. There isn't anything in the laws that states your firearm needs to be hidden when loaded in a vehicle. I know this not just form the laws, or having a permit for nearly 10 years, but also form being pulled over by law enforcement and actully having an officer reach between my legs to the loaded pistol on the floor of my car that was in his plain view (nothing else was said after I produced my permit). If you still need clairfication you should do what was recomended eairlier and call the BCI 801-965-4445 and or their website
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I called BCI today they told me you CANNOT HAVE A LOADED FIREARM THAT IS VISIBLE in your car or at any other time with or without a CCW, it has to be CONCEALED. That was the idea of a CONCEALED weapon permit. You cannot have a loaded firearm sitting on the front seat of your car that is not concealed. You can however have an unloaded firearm that is visisble, definnition of a unloaded firearm is two mechanincal movements of the firearm to become loaded.

I hope this helps define what rights a CCW affords a valid permit holder for those less than informed
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top