Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 11:01:41 PM EDT
Howdy.  I was in Zortmann this past June to dog hunt.  Met some wonderful folks and had a great time hunting.  

While my buddy and I were there, we just kept thinking:  "Can you imagine the winter here?"

So...how is the winter there?  Can't imagine how or if you can even get around in some parts.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I'm concerned we haven't had a winter yet this past season...  I remember as a kid, hunting season was marked w/ snow on the ground.  The vast majority of my hunting, there's no snow.  I hear that in the mountains the snow pack is really good but where a fella would notice it, the snow just ain't there.

Sooner or later though, we'll get a good one again... One where we get snow, instead of just cold w/ lots of effing wind.  The temps have been mostly mild, only a couple cold snaps so far.  However, the wind- well it just flat sucks!

Sly
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the update.  It's been fairly mild here as well, in central Ohio.  

Does a mild winter get the dogs out of their holes any quicker for an extra litter?  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the update.  It's been fairly mild here as well, in central Ohio.  

Does a mild winter get the dogs out of their holes any quicker for an extra litter?  

I'm not sure if they'll have an extra litter but when the little ones are too small to come out, all you have to pick from is the fat ones.  For guys wanting to control the polulation, it's best to pop the adults so the little ones don't survive til spring... But for me, it's all about trigger time so I'd prefer the spring when the litters are up and dumb...  It's also pretty wicked to have a late snow where the dogs will come out.  They stick out like sore thumbs against the snow... A nice white canvas & nothing but red paint, makes for interesting scenes.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh man, that would be ultra cool.  

I was reading this article last night that put forth the theory and data stating that the year following heavy rainfall makes those little suckers proliferate like crazy.  Interesting article, but I'd rather hear it from a rancher or a local.  What do you think?

Man, you're killing me just talking about it.  Here in Ohio, we just have groundhogs which are about one to 250,000 in ratio to prairie dogs and about 350 times smarter and more shy.  (They're also about 300 times smarter than our governor...but anyway....)
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top