Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 6:45:22 PM EDT
I'm dealing with a GF3 32mb and now have some Best buy bucks to blow.  

Anyone switch to PCIx yet?  ANy boost overall or should I just get 256 mb agp?

Soyo Dragon 3000Athlon 1g.DDR
I want to get the new FEAR and COD(2?) that others are MP'ing
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
First, you should go to www.planettribes.com/ and www.planetrainbowsix.com/ daily.

As for PCIx, it rocks.  You can get a better board for less than AGP.  You shouldn't have PCI Express and AGP on the same board.  It is kind of an either/or situation.  

256 mb is what you need for games.  

COD2 and FEAR are both good.  COD2 is the only game I have played to the end, in a very long time.  Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2 Special Forces are 2 of the most played games online, right now.  There is a very, VERY miniscule minority of people like Spiff that don't like Battlefield 2.  I think of the games we play, COD 2 is my favorite.  We have never played a lot of F.E.A.R. MP.  What we DID play, was quite a bit of fun.  

If you have any other questions, let me know.  

And remember, Spiff is just a gaming poser.  Not the real thing.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Time to move away from AGP anyway. It never panned out. Video cards started shipping with more RAM on them than some machines had system RAM. And video RAM is 3x faster than system RAM anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
ho-lee-crap

I went here to try and brush-up on the lingo and current technology.  TOO MANY ACRONYMS!  

I need a geek to gun-nut translator.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW:

My head is not yet able to take technical info and churn it into useful results.

Is there a socket A M-board that takes PCIe  otherwise it's a new CPU, and maybe ram.  as my gig of crucial ddr isn't dual channel

On second thought.......F-it I'm just gonna get sweet 256AGP card for this board as the last of the upgrades for this system, and wait fot the new vid-tech to settledown for a two card system

The case is an oldschool server tower that held an athlon 550 slot and 128mb pc100, 32mbGF for my first build...those were the days.  that 20 gig HDD still lives.

I'll get a whole new case for the next build.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
your memory does not need to be dual channel it just needs to be matching. like dual 512's from the same manf with same settings, or atleast same settings, like speed and timeings and voltages, as for cpu... you might as well upgrade that sence everything is going 64bit and that gives you a wider range of motherboards to choose from anyways
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
OK...2x512 crucial  PC3200 bought together as a 1gig pkg.  

Here's the question of the day.  I haven't seen any 64bit games out.  but when they do, can the game & processor work together at 64 with only a 32 bit OS.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not sweat it.  I doubt that games come out 64bit native, for at least another year...  probably 2.  Why create a game, that cuts out 90% of your audience?  Remember the switch from 16bit to 32 bit?  It was not a pretty thing.  :-)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Well the official total from Xmas was $550 in Best Buy gift cert.

and FEAR is running on the 32mb GF3, albeit at a minimum level of eyecandy.

Damn, I don't know what to burn the GCs on.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a new video card.  :-)  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
OK the deal is done-ish

Grabbed a ATI X700pro. 256mbGDDR3 AGP and the difference is drastic.  Now I have Max settings.
bullets damage walls, smoke from grenades lingers in the air, textures are much more real. ect.

I got a sweet set of speakers w/sub  Klipsch THX 2.1  
3D sound is also outstanding.  sounds will make your hair stand on end, goosebumps ect. (FEAR is creepy in parts.)

Last of the upgrades for now will be a 19" samsung LCD and a 100+ GB SATA HD but I'll likely have to order from Bestbuy online
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Now, you need to come out to our LAN parties.  :-)  We have been needing a gun-nut replacement for Spiff.  :-)  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Now, you need to come out to our LAN parties.  :-)  We have been needing a gun-nut replacement for Spiff.  :-)  

Gee, that kind of hurts my feelings......................................well ok, not really (considering the source).

Besides, I was there last time. I even bought the expansion to that lame game BF2.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#13]
 I was lost after the first sentence!  I guess that comes from playing outside as much as I could as a kid and playing with Lego's when I was stuck inside.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 I was lost after the first sentence!  I guess that comes from playing outside as much as I could as a kid and playing with Lego's when I was stuck inside.

It's ok, my rates are low for fixing computers when you break them.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife is sitting behind me at this moment exclaming "you are insane".

I got the 19" samsung LCD at a good price cuz it was open box discounted but I got it home and I think It sucks.  The dot pitch on my Micron hand-me-down !9" Trinitron CRT.  is like .22 while the samsung is .29

It's back to the CRT cause I'm all about quality -I tell my wife, "and that's why I got you" (sucking up to her never hurts)

Anyone know if there are LCDs with .22 dot pitch or similar to CRTs?  For now I think I'll camo paint the trinitron in a Charcoal palette

With the return I can get a SATA HD instead.  Anyone have thoughts about Maxtors quality?

ETA: Sure, I'd like to be a bullet magnet The next time you guys throw a LAN party
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I've put Maxtor HD's in every machine I've built. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have lost 2 maxtor HDs over the past several years, but I move the computer around a lot... And that is 2, in like 5 years.  Not a terrible track record.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My wife is sitting behind me at this moment exclaming "you are insane".

I got the 19" samsung LCD at a good price cuz it was open box discounted but I got it home and I think It sucks.  The dot pitch on my Micron hand-me-down !9" Trinitron CRT.  is like .22 while the samsung is .29

It's back to the CRT cause I'm all about quality -I tell my wife, "and that's why I got you" (sucking up to her never hurts)

Anyone know if there are LCDs with .22 dot pitch or similar to CRTs?  For now I think I'll camo paint the trinitron in a Charcoal palette

With the return I can get a SATA HD instead.  Anyone have thoughts about Maxtors quality?

ETA: Sure, I'd like to be a bullet magnet The next time you guys throw a LAN party

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179014

Hyundai makes a killer LCD. Also check out viewsonic.

I'm a gamer and a video editor and that monitor is dead on...especially for the price. I know alot of people who have it and are very pleased.

I also really like my viewsonic crts but LCDs have come a LOONG ways.

As for HD I like Western Digital and Seagate myself, absolutely nothing wrong with maxtor though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#19]
www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7030036&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01011&id=1099394930415

Thanks, specs read like my samsung.  I am thinking about keeping it, the desk space is needed.  and with the screen farther back, that makes up for the lower dot pitch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Well the thing is a moniter can have the same specs and one be noticably different than the other...alot like TVs. My friend bought a NEC lcd and another a Dell with the same specs and the NEC was much nicer.

This may or may not be the case with that samsung and the hyundai but its a possibility. I agree with you that I love my CRTs but man like you it is nice to have the moniter pushed back on my desk and not taking up much space.

You might find this site of use www.tomshardware.com/ They give some of the most detailed reviews I've ever seen...very helpful. You can check out LCD reviews, video card...everything computer related basically.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey do any of you guys play Guild Wars?  I've got Battlefield 2 as well but I much more prefer GW to anything else at this time.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I have it, but I have not played it much.  I know that there are some guys around that still play it.  Try Boise Frag Fest's forums.  Also they have a LAN party coming up, on the 21st.  
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top