Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 6:41:29 PM EDT
Mu father in law is up here staying with us and helping out with my wife since she broke her leg.

In the last day or so the fire in and around Brookings has blown the fuck up and his place in Harbor os currently on level one notice.

Anyone in that area know how threatened the area is?

He's getting slightly conflicting reports from friends and neighbors in the area about where the fire actually is and the info line is very difficult to get through on if you can do it at all.

He's got like 2/3 of a lung left and I'm not thinking he should go with me to save his personal effects.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not there, but i have a ton of friends and family that are. It doesn't look good at all! I came to the OR hometown to check for status updates. I lived there through the biscuit fire. It was bad. This.....is worse.....

ETA. Just heard back from my mom. They are essentially evacuating everyone from 101 up the Chetco. I have a bud that lives 4 miles up there, and he is being forced out. There is no sky anymore. Just a blanket of smoke.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
All photos from my friends and family
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
FIL has alerts that call his phone but they're kinda hard to make out.

One neighbor isn't worried but she's...well she's a really sweet lady

His other neighbor is waiting for GO but seems to be running about 4 hours behind on news.

He's decided to wait and see.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It progressed north overnight. There are many more of my friends that are being forced to leave. I haven't heard of anyone i know losing their homes yet. Its incredibly serious there right now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A couple shots from this morning
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Inciweb will have updated fire line maps. That's where I go for info. We watched it from north of Grants Pass the last couple nights. We could see major flair ups and then it would die down. It was a little freaky.

Best of luck to everyone on the coast and to your fil.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as we know, his place is still okay. Seems like a wind shift yesterday turned the closest point of fire in another direction (?) And he's not receiving evac updates every hour.

Hope all you with your own homes or family are well and safe.

BTW,

The Chetco Bar Fire finally got mentioned in the news on Portland stations today. 98,000 acres and they just noticed
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
***UPDATE***

8-24-17 1900 Pacific

All of Brookings and Harbor are now Level 1 evacuation zones.

Surrounding areas are Level 2 or 3 depending on location.

I'm linking the page here:

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5385

PS

How do I change a thread title these days?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Been watching it all.  Mess there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top