Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 1:59:52 PM EDT
and can any class 3 people in Oregon chime in on the price I am going to pay.

I have a 22 upper, 556 upper, and am looking at a 6.8.......

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on a FA lower, do some research, but you are looking at something built prior to 1986...
Probably best to source one and have it sent to your class three dealer, and than register it for multiple calibers.
and the cheapest I have seen a class three lower is in the 10-20k range
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm ASSuming that if you're seriously asking about class 3 stuff then you either already have some or have knowledge of the process.  Class 3 is one thing  (cans and SBR's), full-auto is another game just cause they cost so much.  I think the going rate for a registered FA M16 lower is gonna be at least $15,000.  Sometimes you might get lucky and find one for maybe $12k or so, but that's not the normal.  You can get a RDIAS (registered drop-in auto-sear) for a bit cheaper though, and that gets it done.  A registered Lightning Link (mechanical FA linkage) is an even cheaper way.  Still, either of those is gonna be multiple thousands wherever you get them.

As far as class III dealers, I have used and LOVE both Tornado Technologies (Mike, Hillsboro) and Oregon Research Labs (Pat, Vernonia) for transferring cans.  I used dual smoking guns once and will never go back there...

cheers, Benji  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm ASSuming that if you're seriously asking about class 3 stuff then you either already have some or have knowledge of the process.  Class 3 is one thing  (cans and SBR's), full-auto is another game just cause they cost so much.  I think the going rate for a registered FA M16 lower is gonna be at least $15,000.  Sometimes you might get lucky and find one for maybe $12k or so, but that's not the normal.  You can get a RDIAS (registered drop-in auto-sear) for a bit cheaper though, and that gets it done.  A registered Lightning Link (mechanical FA linkage) is an even cheaper way.  Still, either of those is gonna be multiple thousands wherever you get them.

As far as class III dealers, I have used and LOVE both Tornado Technologies (Mike, Hillsboro) and Oregon Research Labs (Pat, Vernonia) for transferring cans.  I used dual smoking guns once and will never go back there...

cheers, Benji  

Yes I'm serious   and I know I have a ton of homework to do.

I'd like to build the lower if possible. The legalities are    hence wanting to visit a class 3 shop.  I have the feeling that it will be a loooong road to travel, but I'm willing  

A registered auto-sear seems to be the easiest so far.

Thanks Benji and B Duck for some info.

I'll try to visit Tornado Technologies and Oregon Research Labs next time I have the time
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Pat at ORL has got some of his own full-auto stuff, but I don't think he's got any on the shelf.  I just checked his online store and there's just cans and one SBR for sale there.  He's got his own post-samples, but none that are saleable/transferable that I've ever talked to him about.  He knows LOTS about the process though, he's a good wealth of knowledge and a SUPER nice guy to boot.

Mike @ TT is more of a gunsmith type guy that threads barrels, LOTS of them, for people across the whole country; he also makes .308 cans and can "manufacture" a SBR or SBS for you.  I haven't really talked with him much about FA; since I can't afford it, I've never asked...  He is VERY knowledgeable about cans, and every other gun-related question I've ever asked him.  He loves to stand out by the front desk and chat, he's a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd be happy to help educate you on the process.

just a quick FYI; two shops I'd stay away from (my own personal experience... )  DSG and BCA

cheers, Benji

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
You cannot make a new machine gun for non-government use.  Your choices are to buy a pre-1986 manufacture registered receiver, RDIAS or lightening link.  That's it.  Plan on spending $10k+ for a registered receiver.  It doesn't matter what caliber the receiver/RDIAS/LL is registered in, you can change it to any caliber you want.  Don't get hung up on the multi-caliber issue.  Check out subguns.com and sturmgewehr.com for ads for machine guns for sale.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe I assumed too much...  I figure if somebody is asking about where to buy a machine gun then they know enough about it to know about the '86 ban and what's involved in the process.  Either of the two guys I referred will be happy to educate a newb on the general process or speak in depth to someone with more specific questions.

I've seen registered M16 MG lowers, RDIAS, and Lightning Links on the EE here from time to time, none of those are there right now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Why?

because we can!  

Thanks for the input and links.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
SOT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top