Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 3:49:51 PM EDT
I had the good fortune to be a total slacker yesterday, burn a vacation day and spend much of that time at TCGC.  

We've spent a lot of time in the past two months talking about the perception of the Black Rifle at TCGC and the issue of Muzzle Brakes.

I did have a chance to hang out with Senior Range Safty Officer, Mike Dreske.  Mke's a Korean War vetran and had never shot an AR15 before.  So shooting from bench 21 (in front of the wood stove) I asked Mike if he'd like to take my LMT M4 / Aimpoint for a trip around the block.

It was his first time with red dot optics and the AR15 platform.  Mike did well - put 3 rounds into 2" at 100M.

The issue of Muzzle Brakes, Flash Hiders never came up.  He was professional and polite.  A real good guy.  While I was trying to be a good will ambassador for our favorite rifle, at a minimum, it seems the rules are not consistently enforced.

You may be asking yourselves - how did you shoot DT?  [Come on - ask]  Well - it is my rifle.  

5 round group - 100M

LMT M4
16" barrel
SOPMOD Stock
LaRue 7.0
AimPoint ML2
Federal Red Box
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
what's up with that lonely one off to the left there.......

Nice!  Good to hear you spreading BRD around! ( oh ya, but piss on you for having a day off to do so... ) <-jealousy.......
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
what's up with that lonely one off to the left there.......

The evil side of me was tempted to press the zoom button and call it a 4 shot group.

As for that Paid Time Off, I'll resist the urge to tell you that Freightliner is shut down from the 22nd to the 2nd - I opted to throw a few extra days into the mix and make it an even 2 weeks.  

Damn you extra vacation time! Damn you!  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If I can stick it out 1 more week, I get more vacation!!!  Problem is it'll only be 2 weeks......stupid date of hire.....Feb. will be 10yrs for me, but my date of hire means I gotta wait till next before I get 4 weeks

Unless I find my dream job.................
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the good fortune to be a total slacker yesterday, burn a vacation day and spend much of that time at TCGC.

We've spent a lot of time in the past two months talking about the perception of the Black Rifle at TCGC and the issue of Muzzle Brakes.

I did have a chance to hang out with Senior Range Safty Officer, Mike Dreske. Mke's a Korean War vetran and had never shot an AR15 before. So shooting from bench 21 (in front of the wood stove) I asked Mike if he'd like to take my LMT M4 / Aimpoint for a trip around the block.

It was his first time with red dot optics and the AR15 platform. Mike did well - put 3 rounds into 2" at 100M.

The issue of Muzzle Brakes, Flash Hiders never came up. He was professional and polite. A real good guy. While I was trying to be a good will ambassador for our favorite rifle, at a minimum, it seems the rules are not consistently enforced.

I don't know if Mike D. wrote last month's article or not, but I've been rubbing elbows
with Mike D. for about 5 years.  In that time, we have become friends.  I've never
heard him say a word about anybody's evil black rifles.   He doesn't stand for any safety
violations but is far from a range nazi.   He's a good guy.  Jeez, I have seen plenty of hunting rifles with muzzle breaks that are louder than ever.

Anybody know what precibitated last month's article?

My $0.02 worth,

Spambo
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know if Mike D. wrote last month's article or not, but I've been rubbing elbows
with Mike D. for about 5 years.  In that time, we have become friends.  I've never
heard him say a word about anybody's evil black rifles.   He doesn't stand for any safety
violations but is far from a range nazi.   He's a good guy.  Jeez, I have seen plenty of hunting rifles with muzzle breaks that are louder than ever.
Spambo

+1 Mike's a good guy.  Clearly more comfortable with a Garand than AR15, but not a word.  

In fact, his shooting from Bench 21, tells me it's much to do about nothing.  More of a guideline than a rule.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top