Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow... they are quick !

Found this in my mailbox today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7187/20210826_164053_jpg-2067045.JPG
View Quote

Greg is a solid dude. If he’s still in charge of the Hunter rifle shoots, that would be a great way to get an endorsement for membership. Show up, don’t act like an idiot and you’re well on your way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I live 10 min from there.  I used to go there and qualify when I worked for Cumming PD.  I need to join, who’s going to sponsor me?
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just can’t start a new outdoor range these days. In Pickesn county, a couple of Hollywood types wanted to replicate Taran Butler’s place out here. They had several hundred acres in the middle of nowhere. They did sound studies, real engineer work.

Nope.
View Quote

They're trying to shut one down in Dahlonega too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Greg is a solid dude. If he’s still in charge of the Hunter rifle shoots, that would be a great way to get an endorsement for membership. Show up, don’t act like an idiot and you’re well on your way.
View Quote

Yep, saw him for a few min at the silhouette range and again at the classroom portion of the new member orientation. Seemed like a cool cat.
Actually, everyone involved in the NMO was very cool.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live 10 min from there.  I used to go there and qualify when I worked for Cumming PD.  I need to join, who’s going to sponsor me?
View Quote

Id say show up to one of the many events open to the public and do some shooting. Im sure you can get a couple signoffs if you mingle and they can see you are a safe shooter.
They do call and speak to the folks used as sponsors, so it certainly helps if they have met you in person and can vouch for you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just can’t start a new outdoor range these days. In Pickesn county, a couple of Hollywood types wanted to replicate Taran Butler’s place out here. They had several hundred acres in the middle of nowhere. They did sound studies, real engineer work.

Nope.
View Quote

That's a shame.  There's a big lack of ranges in this country.  Even in Oklahoma, where there's no lack of big open tracts of land it's extremely difficult to find a place to shoot.  We ended up joining the OKC gun club which a lot of people can't afford to do.  By comparison to the club discussed here it was down right cheap.  

When you have so few ranges they can pretty much set their prices however they want because there's no competition.  

Personally I think every single state should provide a certain number of ranges available to the public.  Something along the lines of the CMP ranges but obviously not quite as lavish for budget reasons.  Every citizen who wants to should be able to practice shooting and gun handling whether it's plinking with a .22LR or long range marksmanship with a .50 BMG.  

Our state governments should be promoting safe gun usage not trying to stop it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
There are WMA ranges all over Georgia...they just suck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think by "just suck" you mean, they're dangerous

Years ago when I didn't have access to a private range/club I had to use that range and I had to leave on more than one occasion due to the reckless behavior that took place
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Years ago when I didn't have access to a private range/club I had to use that range and I had to leave on more than one occasion due to the reckless behavior that took place
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... I will never go to a public, unmanaged range again.

Last time I did... a couple ghetto thugs started sending rounds into the 25yd backstop while a bunch of guys were downrange changing targets at 100yds.
I packed my shit and GTFO of there ASAP.
Never again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$900 initiation fee made me take pause.

The dues are reasonable at $300/year for such a great place.

I shoot in some of the matches there. I'd like hi-power silhouette to start up again.
View Quote

I’ve hemmed and hawed about joining for years due to the initiation fee. Now my son is begging me to shoot all the time, it’s time to get off the pot if nothing else to get him up to speed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do the application online... wait for email to schedule orientation.
Attend orientation... wait for email payment instructions..
pay online and wait for gate card and temp badge in mail.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it still anti Semi auto range?  I was a member for many years and finally left because I would get hounded when shooting an AR or AK if I fired more than one round a second.  I was on the range there once with a guest and we were shooting AR’s…there was one other member at the far end shooting an AK.  No crazy rapid fire just normal shooting.  This old fudd admin guy comes rolling up in his truck like there is a fire with his hand on his side arm telling us to stop shooting and demanding our membership badges.

The one guy gave him his and left.  I refused and went up to the office.   They gave me a story about 1 round per second and wished me a good day.  I asked why roll up aggressively and not just stop by and inform people?

It’s a dumb policy and the way it was handled was enough for me, I didn’t renew after that.

I hated it because the facility is amazing…
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is it still anti Semi auto range?  I was a member for many years and finally left because I would get hounded when shooting an AR or AK if I fired more than one round a second.  I was on the range there once with a guest and we were shooting AR’s…there was one other member at the far end shooting an AK.  No crazy rapid fire just normal shooting.  This old fudd admin guy comes rolling up in his truck like there is a fire with his hand on his side arm telling us to stop shooting and demanding our membership badges.

The one guy gave him his and left.  I refused and went up to the office.   They gave me a story about 1 round per second and wished me a good day.  I asked why roll up aggressively and not just stop by and inform people?

It’s a dumb policy and the way it was handled was enough for me, I didn’t renew after that.

I hated it because the facility is amazing…
View Quote

As I understood and as it was mentioned in the new member orientation... the club is under new management and they are much more friendly to modern sporting firearms, including 50bmg AND full auto.

You must however be "approved/qualified" by a range officer prior to shooting the full auto or "super-gun" (his words) calibers.
Semi auto is the norm now.
Also, no rifle caliber full auto. Pistol cal only.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder what their reasoning is behind full auto pistol rounds only?  It can't be the controlability of the weapon because that's gun specific not caliber specific.  Other than that faulty logic there's no reason to allow one and not the other that I can think of.  

It's their range, their rules but I am curious of their reason.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I belong to both as well.

Quoted:

i belong to both. live in marietta. both are 45 minutes from my house which is ok. pickens is more laid back. riverbend is pretty strict but needs to be to avoid potential problems. pickens (apparently) has some 'political' issues. i dont know what they are but some include buying land for a 500 yard range but having to shut it down because it was not zoned  correctly. i prefer pickens for 100 yd load  development. its usually less crowded than similar ranges at riverbend.

finding land for ranges with any distance is tough in north ga due to the lack of large tracks of land with no nearby neighbors. for that you need to go below the nat line. or go out west someplace.

i joined riverbend after attending a 'hunter rifle' shoot and having some of the members sign my forms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you get sponsors if you're new to the area ?
We were in Blairsville this past June.  Going again in '22.  Looking to retire there, or in that area.

PIckens County Sportsman’s Club  
is in jasper. Not quite as big as RBGC, but lower dues.

Anyone who needs a sponsor can message me, I’m on the Board. The fools…

Bryan

i belong to both. live in marietta. both are 45 minutes from my house which is ok. pickens is more laid back. riverbend is pretty strict but needs to be to avoid potential problems. pickens (apparently) has some 'political' issues. i dont know what they are but some include buying land for a 500 yard range but having to shut it down because it was not zoned  correctly. i prefer pickens for 100 yd load  development. its usually less crowded than similar ranges at riverbend.

finding land for ranges with any distance is tough in north ga due to the lack of large tracks of land with no nearby neighbors. for that you need to go below the nat line. or go out west someplace.

i joined riverbend after attending a 'hunter rifle' shoot and having some of the members sign my forms.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey murphy,
In relation to the political issues of pickins club ,  I heard Chris Hunt is running for president to clean that mess up .

Quoted:

PIckens County Sportsman’s Club  
is in jasper. Not quite as big as RBGC, but lower dues.

Anyone who needs a sponsor can message me, I’m on the Board. The fools…

Bryan
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey murphy,
In relation to the political issues of pickins club ,  I heard Chris Hunt is running for president to clean that mess up .
View Quote
Chris is a great guy
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Chris is a great guy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey murphy,

Chris is a great guy
Without a doubt, he'll get my vote.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Laudable goal.

It's not that much of a mess. There's a zoning issue, and the club needs to decide where to spend it's money.  Asking 400+ people their opinion is always a painful process.

Some of the board could use replacing, but no one else wants to run. Most people run virtually unopposed.

About 1-2% of the club actively volunteers. There are more board slots/members than people who will do stuff at the club.

Hey murphy,

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#22]
You have no clue and that's the problem right there.

It's not that much of a mess.

In a earlier post you called them

"The fools"
Quoted:
Laudable goal.

It's not that much of a mess. There's a zoning issue, and the club needs to decide where to spend it's money.  Asking 400+ people their opinion is always a painful process.

Some of the board could use replacing, but no one else wants to run. Most people run virtually unopposed.

About 1-2% of the club actively volunteers. There are more board slots/members than people who will do stuff at the club.

Hey murphy,

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Emus is a tad further but free. However once my son is a few years older, I will be joining. Highpower is where it's at!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top