Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2017 2:49:39 PM EDT
Wanted to start a thread for our GA and any other other members that may be in the path of Irma. Any advise for last minute prep would be welcomed here as well as any members seeking help or assistance coming from Florida.

Matthew was a category 1 when it hit, they are saying Irma could be a 3. We are 50 miles from the coast and still were without power or phones for 3-4 days, others much longer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It was out in Evans county for longer than that.

Y'all bugging in or out?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no choice, got to stay and work if needed. Family may leave though if it looks like its going to get as bad or worse than Matthew.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a minor change in responsibilities this year, so even if I do the initial Evac on Monday or whenever chances are good that I will be recalled for work right after.

16 wasn't that bad last year, I'm definitely getting in the east bound side though. The only thing slowing westbound traffic down was idiots crossing the median and pulling in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have everything anybody would ever need short of a boat or a high water vehicle ;) They are on the list though

If anybody needs help at some point, point towards the HTF and we will no doubt get it handled.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
60 milles inland in Waycross.  Lots of wind and rain last year for Matthew.  Not sure what the effect would be if Irma is a 3 along the coast.

Didn't lose power during Matthew.  Utilities in my area are underground so that helps.

I spent yesterday running up and down in Glynn, Camden, and Charlton making sure that tanks are full on our generators at cell sites.

Not bugging out as I don't expect it to be that bad here and probably gonna have to go in after it passes and get cell sites going again or just checking for damage.

Most along the coast are up on platforms so flooding should not be too bad a problem.

If necessary though, my Cayenne has about a 450 mile range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The latest European model doesn't look good for GA. I have bad memories of Opal in 1995 and it wasn't as strong as Irma but was a little farther west, it made a mess in west GA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Im in Augusta. If I can help anybody let me know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Worst hurricane winds in Augusta I remember was David in 1979. Came up the Savannah river a ways toward Augusta. Blew a couple tall pines down in my yard. It was a 5 for a while but dropped a good bit before it hit Savannah.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The latest European model doesn't look good for GA. I have bad memories of Opal in 1995 and it wasn't as strong as Irma but was a little farther west, it made a mess in west GA.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331822/DJJDK3iUMAAsV-9-301474.jpg
View Quote
That's going to bring serious problems if it comes true.  Already expecting to be out of power at least a week here.  Last house on our line so low priority.  Mid Ga, farm towards Augusta.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Still packing strong winds by the time it reaches Atlanta. Many will be without power come Tuesday morning. There is a graphic at the link showing forecasted wind speeds:

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Marion county standing by.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
If anyone needs a place to stay for a few days I can offer my second bedroom with full bath. It's currently my office but has space for at least 2 queen air mattresses.

I'm in the Alpharetta/Roswell area.

Also, if anyone is heading south to assist others I am willing and able to help.

My family and friends all live in South Texas and have been affected by Harvey. I wasn't able to help any of them but want to do all I can here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Still packing strong winds by the time it reaches Atlanta. Many will be without power come Tuesday morning. There is a graphic at the link showing forecasted wind speeds:

View Quote
I worked at the Georgia-Pacific building in downtown in the mid to late 90s. I don't recall which storm went through, but the building was moving enough that you could hear the structure complaining. It reminded me of being on a ship in a heavy storm, minus the rocking and rolling.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Just checking in from Statesboro.  As ready as we're going to be at this point.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just checking in from Statesboro.  As ready as we're going to be at this point.
View Quote
Yep. I made a last minute run to the store this morning. Plenty of bread and everything on the shelves. Got a Boston butt going on the smoker in the morning. Plenty of beer and water also. Nobody seems too concerned around here until 5:00 and then it's like everybody decides they need gas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#18]
If I go to work Monday I'll have preps with me to stay at the shop if I need to and bring a chainsaw if I decide to go back home. When Opal came through in '95 it took me 3 hours to get the trees off my .5 mile long gravel road up to the paved road. It was just as bad so I went back to the house. We were without power for 12 days, great living out in the country but it sucks being at the end of the line when a storm hits.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I got off this AM, just woke up now waiting on call to work more.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Standing by in Claxton.

I started a Zello channel if anyone wants to b.s. in real time. Well, assuming we keep cell service.

http://zello.me/k/fmeJ5

IM for password.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know where the weather net is going to be for the hams? 52 will probably be too busy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Standing by in Claxton.

I started a Zello channel if anyone wants to b.s. in real time. Well, assuming we keep cell service.

IM for password.
View Quote
Claxton Fruit Cake.

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Assuming my flight doesn't get cancelled, I'm spending Tues and Wed in Decatur with a friend. Anyone familiar with the area tell me what the chances are we'll lose power? She told me it rarely happens, but apparently she got nervous enough about it to buy a generator. She has mentions that the local gas stations where pretty busy. I was planning to bring some of my preps for her since she's really not that type. Some flashlights, lanterns, batteries etc. Was also planning to bring one of my small Coleman stoves for her to keep, but I'm curious if the city folk inside the perimeter have panic bought all the propane or butane canisters. She reckons they have, and oddly enough the FAA won't let me fly with some 

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just want a local perspective from like minded folks. It may turn out to be nothing, but I can't help but to prepare for shit. 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I don't know how the rest of the state is faring but us in South Fayette county just lost power an hour ago. Posting on 4g now and the signal is bad. I wonder if some cell towers are out as well?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Getting pretty gusty here in Bulloch County, still have power though. I'd imagine its only a matter of time before a tree kills it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Ware County here.  Very windy and rainy but power on probably because utilities are buried here.

On Savannah TV, they are showing some moron whose car is half submerged because he decided to go for a drive in Savannah.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#28]
SE corner of Coweta here. So far nothing but a breeze and some light rain, but it's early yet. Power and internet are still up. Everything's closed, and people are being told to stay home.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Here in Pickens county near Jasper there is some moderate wind and about .2" of rain so far.   Expecting wind gusts up to 50 MPH later tonight.   Overall it doesn't sound too terrible but downed trees and power outages are likely.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Looking at the GA Power and GA EMC outage maps, it looks like the outages are slowly marching NW across the state. I'll be surprised if we're not down here by 1 or 2.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]
City of Madison/Morgan County report:

My power went out at 9:00 am this morning at the house (aka: the Angry Emu Range) so I went on up to my shop in downtown Madison (which still has power) to start the siphons in order to get the water off of my roof. The roof used to be flat but after 50+ years it has taken on a decided bowl shape that likes to hold water and tends to leak like a sieve once full. Heavy sprinkles to light rain, and sporadic mediocre to brisk wind, so far, but nothing to worry over yet.....

ETA: No customers, one phone call, and Hwy 83 outside my shop has about 10% of its normal traffic. Kinda reminds me of a snow day in Georgia!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Lee County here. We lost power about 10:00am. Trees down in the AO but no damage on our property.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Jones Co, no power since 6am.  No damage to house so far.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
East Augusta, just across the river from Beach Island. We just lost power at the plant where I work. Wife says power is still up in Martinez.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Lost power around 8:30am and still under County curfew. Not much damage here, just trees down on lines. I did have a nice officer follow me into work and ended up helping me load a backup generator in my truck. I didn't get shot or arrested.

St. Simons looks worse than after Matthew.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looking at the GA Power and GA EMC outage maps, it looks like the outages are slowly marching NW across the state. I'll be surprised if we're not down here by 1 or 2.
View Quote
Could you post a link? Slow surfing on the phone and didn't know there was such a map.

Marion county lost power about 1130, county has been sending out texts and it sounds like I can't get to town now due to downed trees and power lines on the road. Hasn't seemed that bad to me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Could you post a link? Slow surfing on the phone and didn't know there was such a map.

Marion county lost power about 1130, county has been sending out texts and it sounds like I can't get to town now due to downed trees and power lines on the road. Hasn't seemed that bad to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://outagemap.georgiapower.com/external/default.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Starting to see and hear the wind picking up in North Fulton county.

Sister in law in Forsyth County just lost power.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Oconee County.  Wind and rain since 8am.  Had some pretty good gusts.  Lights have flickered a few times with 1 brown-out.  Still powered at the moment.  Will see how the evening goes.  Lots of leaf litter and small branches are down in the yard/road, but no major damage to report as of yet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Not as bad as I expected here in SW Douglas county but it looks like the strongest wind hasn't arrived here yet. A few dead limbs in the road on my way in and a lot of leaf litter but nothing major. Hoping the power stays on but it has been flickering occasionally. It doesn't take much for the electricity to go out where I live so if it does stay on it will be a miracle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Significant tree damage in Macon, many roads impassable, large power outage area. Road blockages extend towards Gray and Milledgeville.  Supposedly crews aren't working until winds die down.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Went to work but left early. Wife called said the power was out and the gutters got ripped off. 2 roads home were impassable due to down trees, saw 6 down in roads on the way home. NÊ gwinnett into south west barrow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#44]
20+ sections of lines down from our house to town.  Road passable but going to be a while before power is restored.  Zero power company trucks out at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Just walked outside and noticed a puddle in the middle of my garage. Looks like the wind driven rain found a way around the flashing on the chimney, fortunately it is leaking on the outside versus inside the house. Add another chore to the list
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#47]
DJ, I mean this in as Christian a way as possible. The young lady in your avatar dang near makes me slobber.

Please dont ban me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standing by in Claxton.

IM for password.
Claxton Fruit Cake.

http://trinitypreschurch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/obrother.jpg
I've been called worse...lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
DJ, I mean this in as Christian a way as possible. The young lady in your avatar dang near makes me slobber.
View Quote
I also enjoy the picture of his young lady, no disrespect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top