Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2017 9:21:39 PM EDT
This is the official thread for the 3rd annual MOA shoot.  September 30th, 2017.

Get ready!

MOA #1

MOA #2

MOA Challenge thread with rules and divisions

I am please to announce that LaRue Tactical is going to sponsor the shoot!

What is it?  

In summary... come out and shoot your best 5 shot group, 5 times on a single target.  Average your groups and see if you have what it takes to shoot MOA or better.  Then post your results in the challenge thread and start thinking about what new gear you want for next years shoot.  

Where?

Looks like we are having it at my place again.  It's small, but it is ready to go with just a little bit of work before the range goes hot.  (quick mowing and setting up lane dividers and some target holders.

When?  Saturday, September 30th.  (yes.. I know the HTF shoot is the next weekend!  The range owners are doing the best we can, but our schedules are very limited this fall)

Camping?  Yes.  looks like Saturday night will be good for a campfire and camping.

Food?  I plan on smoking some pork for this.  If everyone can bring some sides, we will have a good meal!

Who?  arfcommers and their family.  Kid friendly event.

What to bring?  Eyes and ears for everyone in your party.  Gun and ammo.  Small squeeze bag for the rear stock.  Sandbags are not allowed for the rear rest.  There will be a few proven guns out there and people are generally willing to let others borrow their gear.  You can bring multiple guns and try multiple times as long as there is space on the line.

Who's helping?  So far it is just me.  My 2 people who have helped with #1 and #2 are both gone this weekend.  So if you expect full service with valet, range caddy, and a waiter at dinner time... lower your standards!  lol  Who wants to volunteer to help out!?  (sign in, set up, tear down, clean up, measuring targets....)

How do I get there?  What's the schedule?  This is a private range.  No directions will be posted, but will be sent via email about a week before the shoot.  General area is Crawfordville.  When you get there, unload and park, sign a waiver, and jump in and shoot whenever you feel comfortable and when there is an opening on the line.  There will be no alcohol during the day - and no shooting after you are drinking.  At this point, I am working on Friday, so I will be smoking pork friday night and driving out early Saturday morning.  Gates open @ 9am and I hope to be going hot by 1030.  The range will go cold around 10pm.

What does it cost?  It costs me a lot!  It doesn't cost you anything to attend.  If you don't have fun, your entire entry fee will be refunded  There will be a donation jar for free will offerings.  I will not badger you in any way to fork over some cash.  It really is a free range day.  

Prizes?  Oh yeah LaRue Tactical is again sponsoring the shoot.  Nice prizes for all those who compete, and a very nice prize for whomever has the best target of the day.  Here's a hint... it's gonna have a serial number and your gonna need a FFL to help you out.    There may or may not be a prize for the best youth shooter.  It would be great to do so, but I don't have anything lined up at the present time.  

T-shirts?  ummm... no.  Unless you are volunteering to design / order / manage a separate thread / deliver / and general herding of cats that would be involved for such a thing.  

Questions, comments, RSVP, any and all smack talk, excuse making or claiming of excuses... please use the reply button!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AAR - rough draft

Several people came out Friday afternoon / evening and got the range set up ahead of time.  I think there were 7 campers Friday night.  The weather was great.  I arrived about 1 am and we promptly attacked the pork butts and got them seasoned and on the smoke by 145am.  A nice campfire was enjoyed by all.

A brief nap and the sun was up and people were showing up.  SouthernCross whipped up a little breakfast for the campers and final preps were made.  Shooters were arriving and settling in.  I think it was close to 10am when we had the range talk and went hot.  Redgoat, SouthernCross and Roland took care of all the measuring for the whole shoot.  Draconis (or maybe Meme) printed out targets for the shoot.

We went cold around 1pm for a pulled pork luncheon.  Sides included baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, chips, drinks, and cookies.

Out of the 38 rsvp'd, we had 27 shooters for the day.  The competition was impressive!  Many people were able to pull targets with sub MOA scores.  New for this year was a dry erase board to help keep track of the leaders.   (One person had a death in the family, 4 people were out due to finding out their job was being eliminated)

I think we were done shooting by ~6pm.  There was no night time shooting this year.  Another campfire, some leftovers, and the campers for Saturday night had a good time.

Sunday morning was a cleanup and go home operation.  SC cooked another nice breakfast of eggs and bacon, and I made a few biscuits.  

Changes for next year... We are going to go back to 1 round of shooting at a time.  This means a shot clock will be used for #4  15 mins hot, 5 mins cold... repeat.  Why change?  There were way too many targets coming in at a time for the scorers.   We may pull the bench seat and let people prone out under the bench.  Only 1 or 2 people actually shot from the bench, so the space could be better utilized.   Move the spotting scope back from the bench so observers aren't so close to the shooters.  Let people know about the donation bucket.  I didn't remember to mention it during my talk  Somebody didn't like being on gravel... well... I had some plywood on site, but I forgot about it, and then we were real busy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
RSVP list

1. southerncross
2. richierich69
3. johnnypantz
4.doomtrprz71 +1
6.RolandDeschain
7. wiseanhyzer
8. shittyshot84
9. robpiat
10. redgoat
11. Draconis +2
14. Meme
15. Redwolf51
16. Scarlett
17. tok762
18. crkdice+1
20. SuperJlarge
21. Emu
22. KFricks
23. HFricks
24. Rodeobull
25. Draconis child
26. Yahtzee Squirrel +1
28. Stickandrudder
30. 50ttop +1
31. Rudy
34.  Jake +2
35. CW (co-worker)
38. Glockfan+2
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Food...

Pulled pork - Me
Beans - Meme
Food - shittyshot84
Sides - Redwolf (Mrs?)
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]
In. I'll volunteer to do whatever you need me to.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in, rimfire and centerfire.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
You know what, fuck it, I'm in. Time to show everyone how bad of a shot I am
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I should be in with 1 more
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got to be in Eastman that day... How far is your site from there?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in to shoot and to volunteer for whatever you need me to do. Will be there for setup, event and breakdown.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know what, fuck it, I'm in. Time to show everyone how bad of a shot I am
View Quote
I'd like to see how that MVP does with some match ammo.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
In.

Thanks for doing this again GAhunter95.  Let me know what I can do to help.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm IN.

Will bring food.

Let me know what I can do to help set up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#12]
In. Hoping to win the "Best Value Division" with my stock gun and budget scope.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#13]
In!  Again! One thread wasn't enough?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd like to see how that MVP does with some match ammo.
View Quote
All it had to do for me was minute of camo steel plate
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me reneg my no and give a maybe. I'm gonna try to work out something with the birthday girl . Don't know about my usual +1 but I'll check with him too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#16]
....I'm in and so is Meme....Event, whatever you need a hand with, help set up and help break down/clean up Sunday....We'll get there as early as possible Saturday AM (shooting for 9:00)....
...Food?...I don't know but I'll ask the Chef what she has in mind...maybe baked beans to go with the pork, maybe some sweets...I'll update when I know...
...May have a +2, but I'll update that when I know more as well...

....I'm bringing the 20" Stealth from last year along with a couple of others if anyone wants to take a run with 'em....They all seem to like Black Hills 69 gr. remanufactured the most for some unknown reason...I'm glass poor, so I'll be swapping scopes around from one to the other as needed or you're welcome to use your own if there's time to sight in.....

...Thanks again to you (GaHunter) and LaRue for putting on this little shindig....

ETA: Oh and I reserve the 'head cold' and 'my beard got in the way' excuses...I may need both....
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Redwolf and Scarlett IN. I'll check with the queen about bringing some side dishes.

Oh by the way, we practiced last Sat morning and she out shot Emu!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:23:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Why not?  Shootin' is fun.  In
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got to be in Eastman that day... How far is your site from there?
View Quote
Google maps says... 88 miles - 2:12 drive time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Been busy.  I will get the roster going soon.

It's almost time to dust off the rifle that has sat in the safe since last year's shoot.  Lol
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Definitely need some practice before the end of Sept. Haven't shot this rifle in over a year, but two loads showed a little potential. Still need to get some good excuses prepared!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Bought some new rings... gonna try something a bit on the ridiculous side :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Can't make it, have to play guitar at a Red Cross benefit BBQ in Gainesville. Y'all have fun and shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Got the go ahead to come out to this thing. I'll know if the +1 will be coming in the next couple days or so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Everyone who has posted "In" has been added to the list.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Can I put you on the list to attend?
superjlarge
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm in!!

I'll be in touch about the range. Trying to get an optic for an AR or two before confirming a date. Really hoping I can get a load developed for my Larue Stealth barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#28]
....We may be +2, although I don't know if more than one of those will shoot....I'll confirm when I know....
...Still need to get with Meme about food add-ons...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm in!!

Settling on this load for the rifle my dad and I chambered. This thing shoots bugholes....
https://i.imgur.com/NBiNkK7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/biviXDS.jpg

I'll be in touch about the range. Trying to get an optic for an AR or two before confirming a date. Really hoping I can get a load developed for my Larue Stealth barrel.
View Quote
got it.

Looks promising!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Just a friendly reminder folks:

Everybody is an expert marksman until they do the challenge and realize where they actually are capability/equipment wise. Come out and see for yourself where you need to improve your skill set or your equipment.

I guarantee you will leave with a better understanding about your personal ability to make consistent shots.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just a friendly reminder folks:

Everybody is an expert marksman until they do the challenge and realize where they actually are capability/equipment wise. Come out and see for yourself where you need to improve your skill set or your equipment.

I guarantee you will leave with a better understanding about your personal ability to make consistent shots.
View Quote
Not sure if that was partially directed towards me or just a general statement, but that's really good advice. If directed towards me, no worries. First time I've attempted to shoot bugs on a target, and likely couldn't do it again if given several chances....but there was that one time, with really big bugs!

The equipment is a big part of the equation, at least for someone like me that still needs to work on their fundamentals. Changing from a factory trigger to an aftermarket trigger can really help with group size and consistency.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#32]
........Finally remembered to ask Meme about eating stuff....You can put us down for baked beans to go with the smoked pork......

.....And looks like our +2 are set to be there, probably staying Saturday night as well....

....Oh, and as a reminder for any of you guys that have womenfolk that shoot, Meme is still waiting on someone to knock her off the top of the women's division....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm likely to be near Eastman that day. How far is it from there? I may be able to do both ...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm likely to be near Eastman that day. How far is it from there? I may be able to do both ...
View Quote
About 2 hours away, maybe 2:15.  It's a lot of back roads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
........Finally remembered to ask Meme about eating stuff....You can put us down for baked beans to go with the smoked pork......

.....And looks like our +2 are set to be there, probably staying Saturday night as well....

....Oh, and as a reminder for any of you guys that have womenfolk that shoot, Meme is still waiting on someone to knock her off the top of the women's division....
View Quote
yummy!!  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like the +1 is a go, so it will be 2 on my side. Thanks for hosting this again, glad I can finally attend one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Got it.  Started a food list in reply #3.  

~5 weeks to get ready!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not sure if that was partially directed towards me or just a general statement, but that's really good advice. If directed towards me, no worries. First time I've attempted to shoot bugs on a target, and likely couldn't do it again if given several chances....but there was that one time, with really big bugs!

The equipment is a big part of the equation, at least for someone like me that still needs to work on their fundamentals. Changing from a factory trigger to an aftermarket trigger can really help with group size and consistency.
View Quote
No, wasn't directed towards anybody. More of a motivational and "everybody come see for yourself how good you are" sort of thing. I was consistently humbled the first event with both my competition rifle and 3 ringer rifles that others shot MOA with that day. Found out the problem wasn't my equipment, it was me.

Always good to get a cold slap from reality to recalibrate your level of confidence in something and push you to get better.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Put me down for the night crew shift, as usual.
I'll try to get the shop closed a little early, then come out and embarrass myself, after most of the other folks have gone home.
Besides, you know I only come to these things for the campfire anyway!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll whip up a batch of Brunswick Stew to heat up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
 I'm gonna hold my comments till I taste this new brunswick stew...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm gonna hold my comments till I taste this new brunswick stew...
View Quote
That means I will have to leave out the pork, so no promises.  I substitute squirrel for the pork, you can eat that right? I've made it for a few of the shoots so there are those that can give you a review.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That means I will have to leave out the pork, so no promises.  I substitute squirrel for the pork, you can eat that right? I've made it for a few of the shoots so there are those that can give you a review.
View Quote
I got better.  fucking miracle.  or something
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#44]
and you think I trust the judgment of these clowns when it comes to a proper stew?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awesome!  I've really enjoyed it when you have made it before.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I got better.  fucking miracle.  or something
View Quote
Hallelujah!  

Pork is back on the menu!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
and you think I trust the judgment of these clowns when it comes to a proper stew?
View Quote
didn't figure you would.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#48]
The stew is good.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#49]
The cake is a lie.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#50]
the trolls are real, though
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top