Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 4:48:16 PM EDT
Anybody know?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only been here a year, but I've never been in a state you could do that.
Long guns yes, pistolas, no is what I'm used to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
No, you can not purchase and leave with a handgun. You can pay for the handgun at the store, have that dealer ship to your FFL dealer back in Texas. At least that is how it used to be a few years ago, there are a couple FFL dealers here on this forum, maybe they can clairify this item.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It would have to be shipped from here to a dealer in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
the question assumes you mean to purchase from a dealer...is that correct??  If so, then you are not a resident of GA and can not legally buy a handgun here....you can only purchase one legally from an FFL in your home State
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The good news is that if you are in Georgia and want to buy it, you can call your FFL and have him immediately fax a signed copy of his license to the dealer that you are at. You don't get to take the gun with you, but you can pick it up at your FFL when you get home.

It used to be that you needed an original signed copy to do this.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a related quaetion so I didn't want to start a new thread.  Hopefully Cahill won't mind.

I was in WalMart last night and a guy in the military stationed @ Ft. Gordon was trying to purchase a rifle/shotgun.  He is from Indiana.  The girl behind the counter said that since his state has a different waiting period than GA he could not legally purchase a rifle/shotgun in GA.
I do not remember what the waitng period difference was (only a couple of days IIRC).  Needless to say he looked shocked and questioned her but left without a gun.
Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a related quaetion so I didn't want to start a new thread.  Hopefully Cahill won't mind.

I was in WalMart last night and a guy in the military stationed @ Ft. Gordon was trying to purchase a rifle/shotgun.  He is from Indiana.  The girl behind the counter said that since his state has a different waiting period than GA he could not legally purchase a rifle/shotgun in GA.
I do not remember what the waitng period difference was (only a couple of days IIRC).  Needless to say he looked shocked and questioned her but left without a gun.
Can anyone confirm this?

Federal law says no on the handgun, so that's a Federal thing, not a state thing.

Same thing with what you mention de8212.  Federal laws DOES allow you to buy a long gun in any state as long as the long gun is legal in YOUR state.  I believe that where you are also has to abide by the laws of your home state.  I think the girl at WalMart was correct.

If I am wrong, someone will be along shortyly to correct me.  You can be assured of that.

This is the second time in a month that this has been brought up.  The other was in GD where some numbskull from another state tried to ridicule Georgia for not allowing pistol sales to out-of-state persons.  It is a Federal law, not Georgia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top