Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 5:49:20 PM EDT
I have been doing custom paint jobs on rifles and such for some time now.  Several of my friends have been pushing me to try to see if there is a market for what I do.  ITs only a hobby at this time.  But what I was thinking is custom cammo paint jobs for AR-15's stocks, forward grips, handles, and magazines.  I was thinking about doing brand new in wrapper USGI magazines with a mag pull and custom paint for $30  plus shipping.  OR the whole gun with a new magazine for $80.  This, I would need your gun parts minus the magazine.  I have several things Im working on now and would like to stay AR or AK (no Deer rifles).  I will have pics here soon so if someone can show me how to post I can get them up for you to view.  It takes about a day to airbrush, clear, and bake the parts and I have about a weeks worth of work here from my friends.  
   Like I said it is a hobby and I want to hear it from you all first before I take this any further.  
   Something else Im working on is side sling adapters.  I have a good friend that owns a machine shop and we are looking to make these for the Ar CAR stock and maye for the A2.  Im thinking the price is about $15 each and they are very close to the GG&G ones they sell for $25.  Im looking to make a run of about 500 to 1000 so I will have plenty to go around.  
   Please give me your feedback on the above and thanks in advance.  Pics will be comming soon.  Just need to take several and get them up!!!

Gordon

Edited for calling a magazine a clip...My bad!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't wont to fuss or flame, but those things hangin out of my AR are magazines, plenty of mag nazi's here that will pounce on that one.

I think you have a good idea.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Fixed sorry bad habit!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, I missed the clip part.  

One of the Alabama members, ScaryGuy, does great paint jobs on rifles.  He did the_beer_slayer's FAL and it is incredible.  I've thought of having a rifle or two done, but for some reason I can't bring myself to paint a rifle.  I'm worried that I won't like it or it will wear/flake off.  Weird, considering how I love to look at other people's camoflaged guns.  I've even thought of puting together a Model 1 Sales carbine for cheap and paint that.  (I'm not knocking Model-1 or J&T, but for some reason I wouldn't think twice about painting one of those but can't imagine throwing paint on a Bushy or RRA.  I know, I'm weird.)

Having said all that, I have a RRA Varmint upper on order.  It's got a stainless barrel.  I know when I see that shiny barrel it's gonna bother me.  Something will need to be done to it.  Maybe the Varminter could be a guinea pig.  

Will paint wear off or flake off?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Book apparently you haven't looked too closley at any of our planes.  All paint will eventually chip, fade, or flake off.  Granted with Gordon not being a major painter (ie. auto manufacturer, paint shop)  he can get the paint with higher Volitale Organic Compounds (VOCs) that bond better.  Just remember a coat of paint is usually only .3-.5 microns thick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the factory camo jobs that are dipped?  They chip too?  Can you remove paint if you end up not liking it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What about the factory camo jobs that are dipped?  They chip too?  Can you remove paint if you end up not liking it?

Eventually, yes.  As far as removal, all you need is razor blade, some elbow grease, and a lot of time on your hands.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I've done say about 2 dozen guns and about 100 magazines and I have not had one come back yet.  I've done ammo boxes and other things that have not either.  I apply 4 layers of paint and 2 layers of clear and then bake them.  Im sure if you were to throw your AR off a cliff then Im sure that there would be some chipping and such.  Yes you can remove it.  You would just need to strip it and clean it up.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Bookhound,

Hey thanks for going and talking to your neighbor about the flying part.  Much thanks!  I tell you what, maybe we can meet up and I can show you my work.  You get that model 1 and Ill do it for free if you are able to give the board a write up on your thoughts and comments of the gun when its done.   Email me at [email protected] and let me know if this is something you would like to do for trade.  I enjoy doing it and it could help pay the rent as I go through treatment.  Once again thanks for looking out for a fellow neighbor!

Gordon
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate that offer.  I would, in deed, love to see some examples up close and personal.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#10]
email me and I can head your way or we can meet in the middle.  I live in Lawrenceville.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top