Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2017 9:37:17 PM EDT
I'm happy to announce we're moving out of the NY/NJ area.  We're moving to Charlotte over the next few months and while we're somewhat familiar with the area, we don't know the individual neighborhoods at all.  Location versus the city/airport and all that is less important as I work remotely.  I'd love to hear some recommendations on places to rent a house or townhouse
(2 to 4 bedroom) and also places to avoid.

I've heard Mint Hill is nice and I think someone on this forum said that Steele Creek had some crime and wasn't great.  Tell me more!  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
We visited a friend who lived in the Metro 808 Apartments off Hawthorne Ln, and they were super nice.  Not sure how much they were but I was impressed.  Lots of cool places to eat in the area that you can walk to.  They are near this cool dive bar called the Thirsty Beaver, I guess the owners won't sell it, so they're building a building around it like the Up! movie.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We visited a friend who lived in the Metro 808 Apartments off Hawthorne Ln, and they were super nice.  Not sure how much they were but I was impressed.  Lots of cool places to eat in the area that you can walk to.  They are near this cool dive bar called the Thirsty Beaver, I guess the owners won't sell it, so they're building a building around it like the Up! movie.  
View Quote
Hey, thanks for the response NC_Andy!  That could be a potential temporary sport for us as we transition and learn the city.  We're open to ideas but we do have our hearts set on something with a little more space. Something like a house or townhouse with a small backyard and garage even.

Thanks man, keep em coming!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Plenty of places in Indian Trail to rent.  We rented for the first two years that we moved down here in the Brandon Oaks sub-division.  We recently bought in Taylor Glenn, which actually back up to Brandon Oaks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The only way you can stay in NC is to convince three FSA/Liberals to move up to communist NY/NJ... They need to be contained and its a perfect place to keep them..

Its the price to pay for your freedom..  and remember this is not the northeast they don't want to hear this how we do it in communist northeast either..
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only way you can stay in NC is to convince three FSA/Liberals to move up to communist NY/NJ... They need to be contained and its a perfect place to keep them..

Its the price to pay for your freedom..  and remember this is not the northeast they don't want to hear this how we do it in communist northeast either..
View Quote
I promise we'll evict at least three!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Plenty of places in Indian Trail to rent.  We rented for the first two years that we moved down here in the Brandon Oaks sub-division.  We recently bought in Taylor Glenn, which actually back up to Brandon Oaks.
View Quote
Thanks sir, we'll look into that.  I think my wife said she read that Indian Trail was a nice area.  that east/southeast area is where we've been looking most.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Indian Trail is/was fairly nice.  Crime from monroe is spreading though.  It's mostly drug related crime, petty theft, car break ins etc.  Mint Hill is nice and growing fast.  Eastern end of Mecklenberg county is the newest boom area.
View Quote
cool thanks man.  nice handle!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Indian Trail is/was fairly nice.  Crime from monroe is spreading though.  It's mostly drug related crime, petty theft, car break ins etc.  Mint Hill is nice and growing fast.  Eastern end of Mecklenberg county is the newest boom area.
View Quote
Is it crime from Monroe or crime from Charlotte?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
we're definitely hoping to avoid the crime.  We'll rent for a year but hope to buy after that term.  We'd like something far enough away to have a couple acres maybe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
if you want land, and dont want to get raped for it, buy outside of Mecklenburg county.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
SC is what you seek
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
what area would ya'll suggest outside of Mecklenburg county?  If we go over the line to say Fort Mill, does the needle move that much?  My concern is my wife's commute which could likely land her in Charlotte proper given her work area (events management, television production).

Thanks again all, love the feedback!
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Thinking of moving to Matthews or Stallings, in Union County. How is that area crime wise? I hear that Union county has lower taxes than Mecklenburg?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#19]
random follow-up question.  We've been in the NYC area for a while now and around here an automatic is just so much easier.  thinking of getting a manual (maybe a challenger).  how do you all find driving in the outskirts of the city - mint hill area and the like?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#21]
roger that, I'm trying to avoid the city if possible.  Worst case is I'll have to go into Barclay Downs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
going to try and keep this alive a little haha.

what other story with the light rail system that keeps never getting built?  It's possible my wife lands a job somewhere near/in the city given that she's an Event Manager / TV Producer background.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Rail station at 485 and South Blvd is a decent way into the city from the south. No experience with it as a commute but it's good for a ball game or show.

We decided to live in Indian Land SC which is the part of Fort Mill in Lancaster county running along 521 south of Ballantyne. We love it here and I'm glad I chose to live in SC.

As for no SC income tax that's news to me and my tax bill! I work in NC and after they took their cut I had to pay another 2% to SC for good measure.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Rail station at 485 and South Blvd is a decent way into the city from the south. No experience with it as a commute but it's good for a ball game or show.

We decided to live in Indian Land SC which is the part of Fort Mill in Lancaster county running along 521 south of Ballantyne. We love it here and I'm glad I chose to live in SC.

As for no SC income tax that's news to me and my tax bill! I work in NC and after they took their cut I had to pay another 2% to SC for good measure.
View Quote
Thanks, we're also considering Fort Mill but trying to consider what the commutes might look like if we ended up with job(s) in the city.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#25]
oops, sorry double post
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Where do you all shoot?  We're really focused in on Mint Hill / Indian Trail area.  I do a little of everything but find myself shooting skeet/trap the most.  More fun to me than shooting holes in paper.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where do you all shoot?  We're really focused in on Mint Hill / Indian Trail area.  I do a little of everything but find myself shooting skeet/trap the most.  More fun to me than shooting holes in paper.
View Quote
You say that now until you could own the fun switch.. and other cool things..
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh there's some new toys on the list for sure but shotgun will always be a favorite.  I get bored punching holes in paper.  Punching holes in hogs however.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top