Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 11:15:46 AM EDT
Looking for advice on things to do out of the ordinary. Wife, kids, and I booked a cabin near Almond, NC for a week in the middle of October. We already have a fishing trip scheduled for one day on Fontana Lake. Looking for any other MUST DO's! Hikes? Water falls? Willing to drive an hour or so. Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Road to Nowhere.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Rafting & Beer are already on the list. Have heard there is a nice trail at the end of the Lake Dam. 
Have you done the train ride? We thought about it, but have heard elsewhere it is a waste of time. Your thought?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Road to Nowhere.
View Quote
Have heard about this as well. It is like a 7 mile road that took 25 yrs. Sounds interesting 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have heard about this as well. It is like a 7 mile road that took 25 yrs. Sounds interesting 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Road to Nowhere.
Took longer than that.

When Fontana was flooded in either '43 or '44, a new road around the north shore of the lake was promised. Part of it was started and even a pretty long tunnel was bored, and then it ended. It's a short drive from town and worth the visit. Some good trails are right there too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry forgot about this thread, lol

The wife and I did it when we spent a week at Lake Fontana. We took the train up to the white water center, got lunch and came back. It was pretty good. We happen to be there when the lake was having a every 10 years( i think) draw do so they can inspect the dam. So water was way down and the guide on the train could point out things that they do get to see often. It is a relaxing trip. But maybe dull to some folks
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks a lot. Appreciate the help from everyone. Be there in less then 2 weeks now. Really looking forward to visiting an area I have nevery been to before. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top