Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 1:18:20 PM EDT
There is a meeting at the Stump House ranger station Saturday Feb. 25 at 9:00am to discuss the trash and vandalism problem at the range.  It is a public meeting.  To the best of my knowledge there is a good chance this range will be closed if the problem isn't fixed.  This range is about 10 minutes from Walhalla, SC in Oconee county.  It is a free and unregulated range.  If you use this range please come, and be prepared to provide solutions to the problems.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could make it. I loved that range when I went to school at Clemson. I still go occasionally when I'm in town. If ya'll can make it please do!  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.  I go there quite frequently.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything come of this?????
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The range is closed Monday's or at least on Monday mornings to clean up.  Place looks a lot better.  The Forest Service is enforcing the rules.  The presence of the rangers is helping keep the place up.  It's not manned and the rules are pretty simple, Be safe and respectful, shoot only paper targets, and clean up when your done.  Still holes in the roof, though.  There are new posts and chicken wire at 15, 25, 50, 75, & 100 yards.  

The people doing the clean up are mainly local community members, the initial cost of supplies was funded by the community members and the Forest Service is supposed to bear the burden of replacing signage and whatnot.  

I don't agree with the paper target rule, I like to shoot plastic bottles or cans when plinking with the 22, but I guess as long as your cleaning up your trash it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I have seen one of the rangers get on to people on more than one occasion for shooting clay targets.  On the other hand I have been up there bumping my 9mm AR off of my shoulder and had the ranger show up, and not a word was said.  

I was at the initial meeting and the topic of machine guns was brought up the Forest Service says they are OK as long as no other rules are being broken.  Typically I get up there through the week and avoid the place on the weekend due to overcrowding, but every time I go it has been clean.  I still take trashbags and do my best to take out more than I brought in.  They have also added a mailbox up there to keep targets in, usually there are basic 8.5x11 targets and clothespins in the box for free but the last time I was up there there were none so I still keep some in the truck.  

A friend and I just got a case of Tannerite and I don't think it would be a good idea for us to use it up there, so I think were going to "dispose" of it on one of his relative's land on Good Friday.  

I work first shift so I can't get up there on Mondays but if anyone wants to help I believe they start at 10am.  

Email me if anyone is interested in helping out or would like to know about any future meetings.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent!

I'll be up there in July to check it out.

Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Absolut will make it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top