Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:57:32 AM EDT
Georgia seems to be on the verge of passing a no retreat law law similar to that of Florida. I'm wondering what the chances are that SC will do the same.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't really know the actual law, but a couple of years ago the governor or state attorney made it known that people had every right to protect themselves. If I'm not mistaken, the wordage was something like'open season on criminals'. That isn't legal jargon but it let me know their philosophy regarding self defense.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]
That was the Attorney General, whose name slips my mind. However, that was only his opinion, I'd like to see it in an actual law. I understand the NRA is pushing these laws in several states including NC and SC.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Who do I need to write to?  Though it's a given to us, this is our right.  Sadly we need it defined for the rest of the sheeple
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it was Charlie Condon who I remember speaking about this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it was Charlie Condon who I remember speaking about this.

That's the name I was struggling to remember. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It was Condon.  In SC, you do not have a duty to retreat on your own property but you still have to every place else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to post his name because I could see his face and it was driving me crazy trying to remember it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It was Condon.  In SC, you do not have a duty to retreat on your own property but you still have to every place else.

Yep.  In a public place you need to basically be in a "no way out" situation.  

On your property you can stand your ground.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Legislation was introduced a week or so ago in the state legislature....i'll see if I can find a link.
ETA: found the story on another site, but no link yet:

Proposed Bill Gives Victims Right to Kill
You could kill an attacker in your home, car, or business

Alison Storm
News Channel 7
Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Frank Glover aims to kill, if that's what it takes. "No, I haven't, but I'm ready to if I ever do," he says during target practice. At Dewey's Pawn Shop people buy guns for target practice, hunting and protection. "That's why a lot of customers buy them in the first place is self defense," says owner Kendall Lemons. "Some people just buy one gun to have in their bureau or their glove box."

Some state lawmakers think you should have more rights if you ever have to use that weapon to protect yourself against an attack. The bill would give you the right to use deadly force against an intruder not only in your home, but in your car or business if you're attacked. The bill says law-abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves and their families without fear of prosecution; something Lemons thinks is a good idea. "For somebody to be scared or hesitant to defend themselves that instant they stop to think about it is all it takes for them to lose their life," he says. So Frank can keep practicing know that his right to protect himself could carry more force if state leaders agree.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Absolut, good post. It looks like the ball is already rolling. I'm surprised that GrassrootsSC doesn't have anything on their site as they're usually on top of this type of legislation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top