Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:36:09 PM EDT
Just wondering what everyone thought about this. I'm not from NC, so I never really thought about it until now.

NC law says you can't carry a gun into an "assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto."

It seems like a gun show meets this criteria.

How do you read this part of the law?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I asked a similar question today.  Wouldn't I be violating the law by placing a stripped lower reciever in a bag and concealing it?  The lower itself IS the firearm according to the law.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think so.

But the dixie web site says "buy, sell, or trade" and they have been doing this show for a long time.

The law isn't about concealed carry either, it is about just taking the weapon there, concealed or not.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

A person participating in the event would be one of the dealers, etc., not someone who is showing up to buy some bullets.

If we interpret the quotation you cite as if those paying admission are participants, then this law is basically meaningless.

Even if you are correct (in what I assume you are trying to say) no one sponsoring the event has given ME permission to bring my weapons.

ETA: I read this part of the exemption clause to cover things like the color guard at a sporting event - people participating, but not as "security guards" who are carrying weapons (ceremonially) as part of their participation in the event.
Otherwise, the exception clause would read "A person carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with permission of . . . "
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Even if you are correct (in what I assume you are trying to say) no one sponsoring the event has given ME permission to bring my weapons.

Not a laywer but if the sponser sells you a ticket to a gun show and advertises "buy/sell/trade", that's permission in my book.  Anyway I wouldn't worry about it.  Think about it if the law is to be enforced, you could be  arrested the instant you take ownership of a gun you buy at a show because you're now carrying it
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Think about it if the law is to be enforced, you could be  arrested the instant you take ownership of a gun you buy at a show because you're now carrying it

Maybe not. The statute I cited above specifically prohibits carring weapons "INTO" the event.

And as I said above, I am not quite convinced that someone who buys a ticket would be a "participant" and therefore subject to the exception clause.

Edited to rephrase.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The sponsor of the event  is actually inviting "participation" in the "event"  by publicly advertizing, newspaper ads, billboards, displayed signage.

A receiver alone is not "capable of firing" and wouldn't be considered a concealed weapon. Purchase records should show that the receiver is an "unassembled firearm"
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#8]
All Weapon must be tagged at the entrance with breech open and plastice straped, no loaded weapons allowed
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The sponsor of the event  is actually inviting "participation" in the "event"  by publicly advertizing, newspaper ads, billboards, displayed signage.

A receiver alone is not "capable of firing" and wouldn't be considered a concealed weapon. Purchase records should show that the receiver is an "unassembled firearm"

In order for the show to go on as it normally does, this has to be the way they are reading the law.

I am just not that convinced that buying a ticket, etc. constitutes "participation" for the purposes of that law, because that is exactly what happens when you go to a baseball game.
There are billboards, advertisements of all kinds, etc., but clearly we would not be allowed to take guns into a baseball game.
It seems to me that if all you need is "permission" then the law wouldn't say anything about "participation."
It would just say you can't carry it in without permission.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe case law holds that that particular statute applies to businesses that make the bulk of their profits through the sale of alcohol (think bar/clubs).

Also, a reciever alone wouldnt count as a weapon for the sake of any kind of CCW offense.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
See, now I don't get it. I usually see people carrying guns into the gun shows holstered and no one gives them any grief. And when I bought a gun at a show a while back, every dealer I passed from then on asked if I was trying to sell my gun. So I always assumed it was alright to bring a gun in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
See, now I don't get it. I usually see people carrying guns into the gun shows holstered and no one gives them any grief. And when I bought a gun at a show a while back, every dealer I passed from then on asked if I was trying to sell my gun. So I always assumed it was alright to bring a gun in.

It is.  If it wasnt, the police would be hauling people off left and right.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
All Weapon must be tagged at the entrance with breech open and plastice straped, no loaded weapons allowed

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess the invitation to "buy, sell, or trade" is in effect BOTH an invitation to particpate AND permission to bring a weapon into the event.

This has to be the way the law is understood for a gunshow to work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It is.  If it wasnt, the police would be hauling people off left and right.

I really just want to know how the law can be interpreted in a way that allows people to take guns to gunshows given that the statute clearly says that you can't take a gun into a place where admission was charged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top