Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/7/2005 6:40:01 AM EDT
Why are there no ranges in the metro area of Charlotte?
With 85, 77, and 485 access, why is there no range convenient to those living in the metro vicinity?

What would make a range successful, are there enough pistol shooters alone or would the range have to accomodate centerfire rifle shooters too?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:45:42 PM EDT
Do you mean outdoor ranges? There are a few indoor ranges around. Shooters Express in Belmont, Firepower in Matthews, The one that used to be called D&L in , I think, Indian Trail.

I think there's another one that I can't think of right now.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:57:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By caveman:
Do you mean outdoor ranges? There are a few indoor ranges around. Shooters Express in Belmont, Firepower in Matthews, The one that used to be called D&L in , I think, Indian Trail.

Can you still shoot at Rankin Lake?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:58:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MadMardigan:

Don't know. Never been there. When I first heard about it I had the wife call and ask how much $ to shoot , hours etc. The guy told her some kinds crazy hours and said it depended where you live as to how much it cost

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:02:23 PM EDT
Its supposed to open to public on Sats, but I have never went.

There is a membership range in Rowan county by Kannapolis I think.

We do need a good 400 yard range in the CCGM area.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:26:27 PM EDT
I mean an indoor range within say <5 mile radius of downtown Charlotte. Something where you can hop off the interstate and within a few miles stop and shoot for an hour then by home in time for supper.

I have been to Shooters Express in Belmont and enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:05:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MadMardigan:

Don't know. Never been there. When I first heard about it I had the wife call and ask how much $ to shoot , hours etc. The guy told her some kinds crazy hours and said it depended where you live as to how much it cost

Last I heard it was closed indefinately. I used to go there but it was only open to public Sat. 12-5.

It's insane that their aren't any outdoor ranges in the Gaston County/Charlotte area.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:24:41 PM EDT
Even Monroe wouldnt be far out to drive to.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:39:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2005 5:40:21 AM EDT by gotyersix]
There used to be a nice indoor range off of south blvd, near Pineville, but they closed it down.
My understanding is, that since it's unlawful to discharge a firearm within Charlotte city limits, we won't see such a thing anytime soon if ever again.
The liberals pretty much closed Charlotte down for shooting sports.
I hate indoor ranges so as a result I haven't been shooting since last February when I stopped going to Uhwarrie.

We're moving to SC in the not too distant future where hopefully things will be a little more gun friendly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:00:29 AM EDT
Most cities/towns have laws against discharging a firearm within city limits. I dont think the law aspect has anything to do with the lack of ranges here.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:04:54 AM EDT
When the range down off South Blvd. closed, I heard that was one of the factors.
This may have not been true, but it's what I was told back when I used to go there.
All it takes is the city council to change someone's zoning or whatever and they can put you out of business and it's no secret that our city council isn't gun friendly at all.
If that's not true, then someone should open a range here because there are a ton of people who would love to have one close to home.
In fact, Hyatt's has more money than God, why haven't they siezed the opportunity?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:08:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 10:09:34 AM EDT by Reaper7]
You're right about Hyatts having the money, I can't believe how much they mark up guns; but every time I'm in there, there are tons of people buying guns. . . It's always much cheaper for me to transfer a gun there than buy there. Even with the outrageous $48 transfer fee.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:01:25 AM EDT
Well I really wanted to explore business opportunities, a range or gun shop. Especially a store friendly to shooters and enthusiasts rather than just hunters. It would also be cool to operate a range closer to the city dwellers. I love the internet but sometimes if I see a part or accessory that I want in a store, I will buy it and suck up the tax and markup to a extent.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:59:12 PM EDT
Does any one know of any a good public 100~400 yard range? I just moved from Tampa, FL about a 10 month ago and have not been able to fine anything close by that will allowed me to shoot my AR. I call some place in Statesville and they wanted $300/year membership. With the move I just can’t afford that. Man…I miss Florida! We had 5 ranges to choose from. One was just $26/year and $5 to shoot all day.

Like gotyersix, I’m already thinking of moving to SC. Sell my house and take a lost. I think I will be happier in SC. Plus the tax here sucks. My job moved me here and it feels like I make $500 less per month.

2xtap,
Let us know if you open up a gun range/shop up, I’m still looking for a place to do my gun transfers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:36:59 AM EDT
I don't Know of any public 300-400 public ranges in Charlotte. The Charlotte rifle and pistol club is the only 300 yard range that I Know of that is Within 30 min of Charlotte. There is a public range in Gastonia with a 100 yard range. I have Shot my AR there before but they are only open For a few hours on Saturdays. the only free for all, shoot what ever you want range within an hour of Charlotte that I Know Of is in Chester SC. IF you are interested in more detail , I will have to respond back later; I'm out of town right now and I'm sending this from a Hand Held
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:10:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Reaper7:
I don't Know of any public 300-400 public ranges in Charlotte. The Charlotte rifle and pistol club is the only 300 yard range that I Know of that is Within 30 min of Charlotte. There is a public range in Gastonia with a 100 yard range. I have Shot my AR there before but they are only open For a few hours on Saturdays. the only free for all, shoot what ever you want range within an hour of Charlotte that I Know Of is in Chester SC. IF you are interested in more detail , I will have to respond back later; I'm out of town right now and I'm sending this from a Hand Held

An hour away is not that bad. I'll make a day out of it. Please post more details when you have a chance. Do you know the prices or membership fees? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:56:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:27:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By u352:
Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club
How to Become a Member of Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club

· Join the NRA, if you are not already a member. NRA membership is a requiremnt for membership in Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club

· Get a sponsor. Your sponsor must be a CRPC member in good standing, and must get to know you and shoot with you at least 3 times before you can be considered a candidate. If you do not know any CRPC members, click here to submit a form, which will be emailed to the Training Officer. He will put you in touch with a member willing to work with prospective members.

· Attend orientations. Prospective members must attend three orientation sessions intended to help you understand the club's operations and safety rules:

1. A general orientation held at the outdoor range near Waxhaw.

2. An indoor range orientation.

3. Our handgun familiarization class.

You'll fill out an application at the general orientation. Then your name and that of your sponsor will be published in the club newsletter, the X-Ring. Your name and information must appear in the X-Ring 30 days before you are able to appear at an Executive Board Meeting. This gives our members an opportunity to know who is being considered for membership. Locator maps and driving directions for our outdoor and indoor ranges are available on our website: www.cr-pc.org (left side of this page)

· Attend a meeting of the executive board. Bring your sponsor with you. You will be presented for membership, you will introduce yourself and give a brief talk on your background and interest in joining the club. You must bring copies of your NRA membership card and proof of a background check. If there is no objection, you will be elected to conditional membership.

· Pay your initiation fee and dues. Be prepared to make these payments at the board meeting. Initiation fee is $136, nonrefundable. Dues are $174 per year. Your dues payment will depend on when you join (prorated for the balance of our fiscal year -- April 1 through March 31 -- at the rate of $14.50 per month). Starting April 1, 2006, fees have been raised to $204 for annual dues, $250 for initiation (payable in 2 payments if necessary), and that makes the monthly prorate $17.00/mo.

· Complete your conditional membership obligations. For at least your first six months, you are classified as a conditional member. During this time you may shoot at either range at any time if accompanied by a member, or at the outdoor range, when a range officer is present. You may not bring shooting guests with you while a conditional member.

· On at least six different occasions, have a member shooting with you, or the range officer on duty, sign and date the back of your conditional membership card. This attests to your competence and safety in the handling of firearms.

· During this period, you also have an obligation to work at least 12 hours during scheduled club work sessions or by special arrangement with the executive officer or others organizing work being done for the club. Some choose to buy out of their work obligation with a fee of $100.00, we strongly encourage you to work these 12 hours as a means to meet other members and give back to this all volunteer club.

· At the end of your six-month conditional period, contact the membership director. If you have satisfied all conditional membership obligations and no adverse information has been received about your firearms competence and safety, you will be issued your membership badge and access key.

· Support your club. Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club is a do-it-yourself organization. Nothing gets done unless the members make it happen. This means every member has a continuing obligation to participate in the operation and maintenance of the club and its facilities.

Ya, I can't afford that! I'm sure it's safe and fun to shoot there, and I understand why they want to get to know you befor you join, but that's a bit much. And I know I'm going to get flamed on beeing cheap, but it took me a while just to get my AR at my salary, and to pay $300 to join and $204 every year after is a bit much for how much I shoot. I only get out once a month. I hoping that Reaper7 gun range in Chester SC is more affordable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:49:49 AM EDT
The range in Chester, SC is in the Woods Ferry State Park (803-427-9858 ). There are 8-10 firing stations. There is no fee to shoot there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:34:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PC-Tech:

Originally Posted By u352:
Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club
How to Become a Member of Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club

· Join the NRA, if you are not already a member. NRA membership is a requiremnt for membership in Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club

· Get a sponsor. Your sponsor must be a CRPC member in good standing, and must get to know you and shoot with you at least 3 times before you can be considered a candidate. If you do not know any CRPC members, click here to submit a form, which will be emailed to the Training Officer. He will put you in touch with a member willing to work with prospective members.

· Attend orientations. Prospective members must attend three orientation sessions intended to help you understand the club's operations and safety rules:

1. A general orientation held at the outdoor range near Waxhaw.

2. An indoor range orientation.

3. Our handgun familiarization class.

You'll fill out an application at the general orientation. Then your name and that of your sponsor will be published in the club newsletter, the X-Ring. Your name and information must appear in the X-Ring 30 days before you are able to appear at an Executive Board Meeting. This gives our members an opportunity to know who is being considered for membership. Locator maps and driving directions for our outdoor and indoor ranges are available on our website: www.cr-pc.org (left side of this page)

· Attend a meeting of the executive board. Bring your sponsor with you. You will be presented for membership, you will introduce yourself and give a brief talk on your background and interest in joining the club. You must bring copies of your NRA membership card and proof of a background check. If there is no objection, you will be elected to conditional membership.

· Pay your initiation fee and dues. Be prepared to make these payments at the board meeting. Initiation fee is $136, nonrefundable. Dues are $174 per year. Your dues payment will depend on when you join (prorated for the balance of our fiscal year -- April 1 through March 31 -- at the rate of $14.50 per month). Starting April 1, 2006, fees have been raised to $204 for annual dues, $250 for initiation (payable in 2 payments if necessary), and that makes the monthly prorate $17.00/mo.

· Complete your conditional membership obligations. For at least your first six months, you are classified as a conditional member. During this time you may shoot at either range at any time if accompanied by a member, or at the outdoor range, when a range officer is present. You may not bring shooting guests with you while a conditional member.

· On at least six different occasions, have a member shooting with you, or the range officer on duty, sign and date the back of your conditional membership card. This attests to your competence and safety in the handling of firearms.

· During this period, you also have an obligation to work at least 12 hours during scheduled club work sessions or by special arrangement with the executive officer or others organizing work being done for the club. Some choose to buy out of their work obligation with a fee of $100.00, we strongly encourage you to work these 12 hours as a means to meet other members and give back to this all volunteer club.

· At the end of your six-month conditional period, contact the membership director. If you have satisfied all conditional membership obligations and no adverse information has been received about your firearms competence and safety, you will be issued your membership badge and access key.

· Support your club. Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club is a do-it-yourself organization. Nothing gets done unless the members make it happen. This means every member has a continuing obligation to participate in the operation and maintenance of the club and its facilities.

That is rediculous.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:56:42 PM EDT
Someone mentioned it earlier. The zone has to be some type "industrial". Which really doesn't explain the Pineville gun shop closing because that was industrial. But it has to be industrial to have a shooting range. I go down to Woods ferry to shoot. Cool place. It's in Leeds S.C.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:35:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By paigecm1:
Someone mentioned it earlier. The zone has to be some type "industrial". Which really doesn't explain the Pineville gun shop closing because that was industrial. But it has to be industrial to have a shooting range. I go down to Woods ferry to shoot. Cool place. It's in Leeds S.C.

the Leeds range is where i have been going..1 1/2 hour drive for me. but i do the all day thing.
met a lot of cool people down there as well, fellow let me shoot his MP-5 !!! first ever FA for me met another guy from the forums here..think his name was "basejumper" ???
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:40:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nails:
met another guy from the forums here..think his name was "basejumper" ???

BASE-RIGGER?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:48:46 PM EDT
that could be him...!!
i do know he said he was into base jumping
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:05:07 PM EDT
Yeah I met baserigger also. Had a browning on a tripod. Sweet. Yeah there are some cool people there but there are some strange ones also. Gets hot as hell there in the summer. I am thinking of going down pretty soon. Haven't been in a couple months.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:50:52 AM EDT
I'll be there next Saturday (1-21-06) with a few other shooters. if anyone else from the forum shows up, be sure and say hello...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:30:30 AM EDT
Does any one have the address to Leeds at Woods ferry or Directions to the gun range. I have had no luck searching the internet. I'll be comming down from Charlotte.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:40:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PC-Tech:
Does any one have the address to Leeds at Woods ferry or Directions to the gun range. I have had no luck searching the internet. I'll be comming down from Charlotte.

Hello PC-Tech,
I just got back from Leeds a few minutes ago. What a beautiful day to shoot.
The easiest way to explain how to get there is get a S.C. map and find Chester, then find Hwy 9 comming out towards Lockhart (only about an inch on the map. If you're on Hwy 9 heading towards Lockhart or comming from Lockhart towards Chester, There is a sign at about the half way point on Hwy 9 telling you to turn to go toward the range. Turn left from Chester and right from Lockhart. The sign says Woods Ferry Rec. Area, It's all part of Sumter National Park. Turn down that road and go about 5 miles to the entrance. Don't take the first entrance about 1/2 mile off of 9. It goes to the Dove field and horse riding trails. If you're on hwy 9 comming from Chester you know you're getting warm when you see the big communication tower. The turn is near the bottom.
I have'nt been working on Saturdays lately because Skydiving seasons pretty slow so I should be there next Saturday the 21st around noon as long as it's not raining. I got several ARs (one with a silencer) a couple of full auto sub-guns and a belt fed Browning 1919 on a tripod.
If you see me, be sure to introduce yourself,
Base-Rigger
Oh Yeh, they're starting to crack down on shooting at anything but paper targets. They'll get you for "Shooting at unauthorized targets" be carefull what you shoot at.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:12:16 PM EDT
BASE-RIGGER,

Thanks You! I’ll be heading down tomorrow to check it out. I’ll be the one with the AR and AK. Also Thanks for the warning, I bought some Target stands at Bass Pro Shop, so I should be good. Thanks Again!
Top Top