Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I understand that this effort revolves around hiking and roughing it a 'bit' more than RV'ing...

So if you guys would rather tent/car camp after the hikes, I'm good with that as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry tree-hugger, hope you didn't take that the wrong way because I didn't mean it like that. Just the complete opposites hit me as funny I'm a little more interested in "roughing it" just because I haven't had the opportunity but at this point I'm fine with whatever we want to do. To be honest I wasn't even anticipating an overnight trip for this first go around. Hopefully there will be more opportunities down the road that we can mix it up with.

If everyone is good with the 3rd I can look at places to get 2-3 solid options tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
No apology necessary.  

I'm thinking that overnight options are being discussed is because of the possibility of Folks coming from such a long distance.

I'm open to whatever as well.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait, so we just went from bivy camping to glamping?
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/landing-page-double-take-354.gif

Lol. If that's what majority wants I'm fine with it, it may dictate the location though. Let's just make a decision so we can plan.
View Quote

I think the idea of camping was my idea. I just figured a 4 hour round trip for everyone (estimated) and a few hours of hiking would make for a long day for everyone. I did just get a new tent I would like to try out. Looking at sleep systems right meow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Haven't heard from Flak for a few days... @Flak-Magnet you still alive or has your livelihood and energy been absorbed by the new offspring?
View Quote

Your earlier mention of me didnt go through for some reason. I did see it earlier this afternoon. And yes, livelihood and energy are both rapidly diminishing .

I hiked the park last night with 5.5 miles (and my brother). I got back with a sore back and feet and found we were talking about covering 16 miles in a multi-day hike. So I went to bed . The majority of my hiking/backpacking experience is doing multi-day backpacking with a 1 man (bright yellow) tent in a 30-35lbs pack. I dont know if I should be concerned that you guys are all such beasts or that you are just gluttons for punishment.

I will say that Im looking at this as still a shakedown opportunity. My idea of campground camping is more of testing out your gear for roughing it than living out of a car. I know a lot of people do not have backpacking gear (as I dont have a bivy currently) and their gear may be too bulky for toting to location at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#6]
If we're going make a decision, we need to do it now. The 3rd is 10 days away. I say we choose between Big Piney and HA HA Tonka State park, as those have been the 2 mentioned. Hike, camping is optional, Tree Hugger said he could bring his camper down for people without much gear. Although it would be a tight fit, I have room for someone in my tent as well. I can sleep in my truck if 2 people need to use the tent. I think I can borrow a bigger one from my sister if need be. I know they have a 2p, maybe a 4 or 8 as well, can't remember.  We can work out the rest once we make a decision.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If we're going make a decision, we need to do it now. The 3rd is 10 days away. I say we choose between Big Piney and HA HA Tonka State park, as those have been the 2 mentioned. Hike, camping is optional, Tree Hugger said he could bring his camper down for people without much gear. Although it would be a tight fit, I have room for someone in my tent as well. I can sleep in my truck if 2 people need to use the tent. I think I can borrow a bigger one from my sister if need be. I know they have a 2p, maybe a 4 or 8 as well, can't remember.  We can work out the rest once we make a decision.
View Quote

I am fine with making the call for the 3rd and we can choose between those two locations and exact distance later. For the purposes of the APC, the hike would be the actual APC event with an optional/unofficial camp out afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am fine with making the call for the 3rd and we can choose between those two locations and exact distance later. For the purposes of the APC, the hike would be the actual APC event with an optional/unofficial camp out afterwards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. the hike is the main part, camping is optional/extra. IIRC the guidelines are 3 miles timed with the stated weight. Both locations cover that. We can get that done, and enjoy ourselves after that. If someone fails to make time, both places offer extra length to retry if they choose to do so.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool, I'll check out the details for both of those places today. I have a medium size tent I can bring too, it'd fit 3 people comfortably or 4 a little tight. So we're thinking get there and hike Saturday morning, camp Saturday night?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I plan on setting up camp Friday night and having a relaxing weekend.  Head home Sunday sometime.

Thanks for setting this up Gents !!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright so after digging around for a bit here's what I found..

Ha Ha Tonka - From what I can see, there is no onsite camping which surprised me a bit as I remember camping there years ago. There are two viable campgrounds close by that I can see:

Lake of the Ozarks state park - About 40 minutes away from HHT, basic campsites are $13/night and camper sites are $23 or $25 (premium, not sure what that entails) a night with electric hookups.
Lin Creek KOA - 15 minutes from HHT, about $90 a night for regular campsite or $60/night for camper site. Not sure why campers are cheaper

Big Piney:

Paddy Creek rec area is one of the trailheads for Big Piney, free camping but they only have 23 sites and it's apparently first come first serve. They can supposedly accommodate campers/RVs too, but no hookups.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of options around both of them, unless I just suck at finding things Let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alright so after digging around for a bit here's what I found..

Ha Ha Tonka - From what I can see, there is no onsite camping which surprised me a bit as I remember camping there years ago. There are two viable campgrounds close by that I can see:

Lake of the Ozarks state park - About 40 minutes away from HHT, basic campsites are $13/night and camper sites are $23 or $25 (premium, not sure what that entails) a night with electric hookups.
Lin Creek KOA - 15 minutes from HHT, about $90 a night for regular campsite or $60/night for camper site. Not sure why campers are cheaper

Big Piney:

Paddy Creek rec area is one of the trailheads for Big Piney, free camping but they only have 23 sites and it's apparently first come first serve. They can supposedly accommodate campers/RVs too, but no hookups.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of options around both of them, unless I just suck at finding things Let me know what you guys think.
View Quote

HHT does have camping. This link says it's for large groups, and also states youth groups. I can call tomorrow and see if we can grab it.

Big Pineys website said it sees light usage. Of course we would pick the 2 most difficult places to camp at
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I plan on setting up camp Friday night and having a relaxing weekend.  Head home Sunday sometime.

Thanks for setting this up Gents !!!

View Quote

I'll more than likely leave straight from work Friday night and head down. I won't wake up in time to drive down Saturday. I know myself too well
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'll more than likely leave straight from work Friday night and head down. I won't wake up in time to drive down Saturday. I know myself too well
View Quote

So do we want to do the camping on Friday night before the event, then have a scheduled start time for non-campers to show and set off on Saturday?

I kind of like that idea, because if we make anywhere near our 3mph on a 6 mile hike, it would be around 2 hours. If we hike in the morning, that is a long time till camping in the evening.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, an additional potential location that is 30 miles from Ha ha Tonka is the Lead Mine Conservation Area. It has a campsite with 51 places, a shooting range, and a 10 mile trail.

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/lead-mine-conservation-area
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/missouri/lead-mine-conservation-area
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So do we want to do the camping on Friday night before the event, then have a scheduled start time for non-campers to show and set off on Saturday?

I kind of like that idea, because if we make anywhere near our 3mph on a 6 mile hike, it would be around 2 hours. If we hike in the morning, that is a long time till camping in the evening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wouldn't be bad, and honestly Friday night camping may work a little better for me personally, but I can do either.

We need to quit being a bunch of dang women and make a decision lol. I vote paddy creek and big piney, second choice is HHT if we can camp onsite there..I should have called them today.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That wouldn't be bad, and honestly Friday night camping may work a little better for me personally, but I can do either.

We need to quit being a bunch of dang women and make a decision lol. I vote paddy creek and big piney, second choice is HHT if we can camp onsite there..I should have called them today.
View Quote

My only concern with location is if Big Piney is far enough to discourage KC folks from driving down vs HHT. Being more central than the majority of you, im good with them all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also, an additional potential location that is 30 miles from Ha ha Tonka is the Lead Mine Conservation Area. It has a campsite with 51 places, a shooting range, and a 10 mile trail.

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/lead-mine-conservation-area
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/missouri/lead-mine-conservation-area
View Quote

I've been to Lead Mine CA.

That place has plenty of room.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I vote Leadmine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#20]
@CPTCARL

@connor327

@NOMAAM

@HEIT_APDST

@showmeballer

@1787

@Thermos449

@JBowles

@dab2

@Shootindave

@Mattgunguy

@woodxdm

All the tagged above have said they were interested, and haven't posted in a while.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm good with lead mine. Do we want to do some shooting too?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe I can do either of those weekends in October. I might only be in for one night of camping though.

if I do camp, I tent camp. I don't mind car side camping, glamping, or packing in food, but I'll have to get some water equipment like a camelback or something if we rough it.

all those places look to be right about 3 hours from me as well so it's about even wherever we go.

just need the group confirmation on where! I'll star getting my external frame bp ready and weight it out for apc
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like Lead mine Conservation Area on the 3rd (aka next Saturday) is the winner!

Since camping is optional, I'm thinking the hike to start at a time that will give drivers a chance to get on location so say 10am?

The consensus seems to be that like the unofficial camping is happening Friday night at one of the pull-in campsites. So the level of roughing it, will be determined by you. Im planning on bringing my 1 man tent and potentially trying my hand at hobo stew.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll do my best to get there. Have to be in STL Friday afternoon but am going to try my hardest
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Full disclosure. I'm a complete grumpy asshole in the morning. I will be in a better mood after lunch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Hike routing:

So Here is what I found. From the main campground (the one with gravel pull-ins in the center of the area), if you proceed along the marked path, and include a .5 mile detour to the bluff then the distance from the campground to the range is just over 6 miles. If you proceed from the range and complete the loop (including about .75 on one of the forest service roads), the entire loop is just about 9.6 miles (the screenshot says 9.4, but i also cant get my app to traverse the starting .2 miles from the campsite to where it sees the trail as starting - the trail does exist according to satellite and the conservation dept map). Additionally, there is a smaller 3.5 mile loop from the campground.

This sets up the scenario where we can start from the campground, and then have a point (roughly 2 miles in) where people who only want to do a provisional hike at 3 miles can cut back along the road. Those going the full 6 miles can then proceed along to the range. Once there, we would have completed a standard 6mi APC hike. If we wanted to do range things, we could (assuming there is room on the range) and we could spend time there without worrying that our hike time is impacted since we already did one. If we have a vehicle or two staged there, then those desirous of a more brutal hike can then proceed the remaining 3.4 miles back to camp and the others could be ferried back to camp.

ETA: Updating to functional img links

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Are we able to hike with a long gun?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are we able to hike with a long gun?
View Quote

With Missouri being an Open Carry friendly state and this hike being in an area where hunting is allowed and the range is present, I cannot find anything that would say it is not allowed.

Reading through the "Area Regulations" section on https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/lead-mine-conservation-area I see that target shooting outside of the designated areas is prohibited. Digging into 10-11 that some of the multi-use trails may be closed (if I am reading this correctly, they are closed to bicycling and horses) during firearms deer hunting season and Spring turkey season.

The only thing that I see that could give us trouble is if we had more than 10 people (which I doubt we will). Apparently groups larger than 10 need a special use permit that must be applied for 4 weeks in advance.

ETA: I do not claim to be an expert in these things either. But I think I have stayed in a holiday inn once.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

With Missouri being an Open Carry friendly state and this hike being in an area where hunting is allowed and the range is present, I cannot find anything that would say it is not allowed.

Reading through the "Area Regulations" section on https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/lead-mine-conservation-area I see that target shooting outside of the designated areas is prohibited. Digging into 10-11 that some of the multi-use trails may be closed (if I am reading this correctly, they are closed to bicycling and horses) during firearms deer hunting season and Spring turkey season.

The only thing that I see that could give us trouble is if we had more than 10 people (which I doubt we will). Apparently groups larger than 10 need a special use permit that must be applied for 4 weeks in advance.

ETA: I do not claim to be an expert in these things either. But I think I have stayed in a holiday inn once.
View Quote

Sweet!  I'm gonna LARP the shit out of this thing!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I've seen plenty of deer and turkey hunting groups camping in Conservation Areas that exceed 10 people.

We'd be fine even if we had 10+ people.

Oh yeah.... large horse groups too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting. I'm debating if I want to wear my plate carrier on the hike...that may be a little more suck that I am prepared to embrace at the moment

10AM start time sounds good, I'll shoot to be there around 930.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interesting. I'm debating if I want to wear my plate carrier on the hike...that may be a little more suck that I am prepared to embrace at the moment

View Quote

I'll be wearing mine. I've only had it for a couple months so I've yet to actually do anything strenuous while wearing it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I dont plan on wearing my PC. Carrying a slung long gun will be plenty of suck for me. I may check to see how bad it is to run my old condor chest rig under the pack, but 6 miles + pack, long rifle and plates is serious weight and encumbrance. I'm working up there slowly .
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, I’m thinking about unwanted attention on this public land.

I don’t know what to expect as far as how many other people will be using the area, and I am not inclined to get off designated trails.

I’d hate to ruin a bow hunter’s day.

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey idk how i missed this yall. I was thinking of setting up an apc styled group in MO lately. I went to VA lobby day and am Good friends with members of the va, il, and other state groups.

If yall want a place to hike and shoot and wear all your gear, I have access to a 200acre shooting range we can hike all over and shoot during the hike. Also camping on site is cleared as well. In Iberia, MO.

I host Cola Warrior Flyover there and also just had a day/night range day/class there this weekend.

Also interested in standard hiking, Ive been doing 5 miles 2x a week with 45lbs. Maintaining 3-4mph.

@thegunslinger
@55_s2k_shawn
@detrhoytMAK
@TATBME
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't make it this weekend, but I am still interested in future hikes.  

Also, the site of Cola Warrior FO is really nice btw.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#37]
@lokifox
@catfishhunter
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hey idk how i missed this yall. I was thinking of setting up an apc styled group in MO lately. I went to VA lobby day and am Good friends with members of the va, il, and other state groups.

If yall want a place to hike and shoot and wear all your gear, I have access to a 200acre shooting range we can hike all over and shoot during the hike. Also camping on site is cleared as well. In Iberia, MO.

I host Cola Warrior Flyover there and also just had a day/night range day/class there this weekend.

Also interested in standard hiking, Ive been doing 5 miles 2x a week with 45lbs. Maintaining 3-4mph.

@thegunslinger
@55_s2k_shawn
@detrhoytMAK
@TATBME
View Quote

That's freaking awesome man! We'll definitely need to get something lined up for that. Appreciate you offering up the opportunity there definitely for myself and I'm sure quite a few others, having a location to fully gear up and get real field experience is super difficult so that place sounds fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll be wearing mine. I've only had it for a couple months so I've yet to actually do anything strenuous while wearing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah alright, I won't let you suffer alone
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@lokifox
@catfishhunter
View Quote

@shelbysguns

Can’t make it this time but hope to get some time later in the year!
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@thegunslinger
@55_s2k_shawn
@detrhoytMAK
@TATBME
View Quote

That's awesome man. Thank you!

@FlakMagnet have you made a GD post or post in the APC forum about this yet?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

I may just bring my rifle. Maybe my chest rig. Undecided at this point.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Do we have an official list of who is coming and when they will be there?  Are we meeting at the campground?

I'm aiming for 9:30 Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm all for meeting at shelbysguns place if he'll have us this weekend.

My plan is to leave StL Friday around 5pm and camp Friday and Saturday night.

I can bring the RV or not.  I'm completely open.

Thanks for the offer to let us use your place @shelbysguns !
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This weekend? I thought this weekend was lead mine CA.

We have a 3gun match this weekend unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

Attachment Attached File

I think we've got 6 confirmed people at this point. The goal is to roll out by 10, I think it makes sense to leave from the camp site. As far as exact location, if one of the guys who have been there wants to pick one or two targets for campsite cool, otherwise I can try to scope out a couple spots.

Tree Hugger, sounds like you'll be the first one there if you're still planning on going out Friday night so you'll have first dibs
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL !!!
Sorry. My reading comprehension is lacking this weekend.

Between attending an out of town wedding ( total blast ) and my Son breaking his jaw...

Well, needless to say I’m beat & going to bed.

Looking forward to hanging with you all this weekend at Lead Mines CA .

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. That is awesome, we will have to coordinate with you and incorporate that into our future plans for sure!

Quoted:

That's awesome man. Thank you!

@FlakMagnet have you made a GD post or post in the APC forum about this yet?

I have not. I can add to the Missouri post in the APC forum.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#50]
@Domnior

I had planned on bringing the RV. I just used it this weekend and it’s ready to go.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top