Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 4:17:32 PM EDT
Older sister is moving there with her husband, she can't really take care of herself and the move was sudden. How is Independence as a place to live? Right now she lives in Phoenix, AZ.

Not looking for anything specific, just general opinions or anything important that you guys want to point out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Older sister is moving there with her husband, she can't really take care of herself and the move was sudden. How is Independence as a place to live? Right now she lives in Phoenix, AZ.

Not looking for anything specific, just general opinions or anything important that you guys want to point out.
View Quote

Independence doesn't have the best reputation, however it's not that bad. It has its good places and bad places like everywhere. I personally wouldn't live there, but that's just me. Mostly just too busy for my liking.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Some parts of Independence are okay, some are sketchy as hell. Some areas are bad enough that it's obvious from Google street view.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Independence has become the new KC. People running out of KC move to independence. They finally have their own gang task force. That should tell you enough.

Stay away from 24 hwy. Like Hawthorne. Sugar creek is a toss up. Plenty of decent people around but it gets worse. Also stay away from the Independence Center. It's become trash.

Also JACO has some of the softest punishments. You can just about shoot a person and get probation. Don't even mention the rape and messed up stuff that caused the FBI to raid the jail. CO's arrested for smuggling in contraband. Sex assault. Inmates having keys to cells.

Horrible.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Parts are okay, but I would look to more Lee's Summit or Liberty.  Independence is hit or miss.  I believe the term "Meth Capitol" has been used before.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Try Randolph --- small town population 52 and at one time had a police force of 10.............    
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Parts are okay, but I would look to more Lee's Summit or Liberty.  Independence is hit or miss.  I believe the term "Meth Capitol" has been used before.
View Quote
I agree.  I born and raised, and now live in Independence, and would love to move to Lee's Summit or somewhere further out.

Keeping closer to the south side is probably safer if you really want Independence.  But it's still hit or miss.  I grew up on the north side and it has deteriorated significantly over the last 30 years.  Independence square is trying to do some stuff to get it better, but I'm not convinced it is going to work yet.  Just be sure to look at crime statistic maps.

Note:  I use 23rd street as the divider for north and south.  I think it is still the dividing line between Truman (wife's alma mater) and Chrisman (my alma mater) high schools.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Randolph lost all the po pos for no nos
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Randolph lost all the po pos for no nos
View Quote
Probably only the people that worked there knows what happened
AND IT WAS NOT THE COPS --- or POPO as you would call them in your baby language
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
PM Sent
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Here... This is a good video, but not work safe due to language, of the area.

CASH CARS KC - #HONESTCARSALES

And of course, the White Girl Special, LoL

CASH CARS KC - White Girl Special
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
We moved this summer from Belton up to Blue Springs.  Good school district for the kid.  I am afraid though, that in 15 years when she's actually ready for high school, that BS will be the new Independence....

Sounds like the OPs sis doesn't have much choice, but yeah, while Indy has it's good places, there's much better places in the area to live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top