Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2017 3:24:37 PM EDT
I am interested in applying to be a Mill Creek member but they require a current member to sponsor you.

Would any of you members be interested in meeting and shooting together?  Once you felt comfortable with me as person/safe shooter I could then procceed with using you as a application reference.

I would be happy to answer any personal questions you may have via private message.

Even if you are not willing to be my potential sponsor, I am still interested in your overall thoughts about MCRC.

- Rylan
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. I'm in the same boat. It's an awesome place. Don't know if you have been out there before. I'd help you out if I was a member
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Go hit up some matches. I shoot there about every other month & have had several members offer to sponsor me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go hit up some matches. I shoot there about every other month & have had several members offer to sponsor me.
View Quote
How can you tell what matches are open to the public? The calendar on the website doesnt have that information.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I work the weekend shift. What really drew me to the place is I would love to take my kids. Parma is so loud, it's hard to coach them. And pigeon hill I don't feel safe taking the kids too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat. I had shot a few 3-gun matches there in the past. I get back from deployment in December and hope to get a membership in early 2018.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I work the weekend shift. What really drew me to the place is I would love to take my kids. Parma is so loud, it's hard to coach them. And pigeon hill I don't feel safe taking the kids too.
View Quote
what/where is pigeon hill?

I like the low cost of Parma but they are the Waffen SS of Range Nazis.

I usually go down to Hillsdale.

ETA.  Don't forget about Shawnee Mission Friends of the NRA in Leawood on 12 October (naked pimping but I am sucking wind on ticket sales)
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How can you tell what matches are open to the public? The calendar on the website doesnt have that information.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they all are...but don't quote me on that. Email the contact person for the match to make sure.

There's been a time or two that I've had to sit at the gate & wait for a member to open it for me, but most times it's been open.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went out to pigeon hill one weekday afternoon about 5 years ago and there was 1 person on the pistol range and one person showed up just to sight in his rifle for like 5 minutes.  Seemed laid back and empty.

What worries you about pigeon hill?  I read stories of morons muzzle sweeping which I can totally understand from a parents standpoint....is it normally crowded during the day and week?  I imagine all the local yokels come out on the weekend for sure....st joe.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#9]
The last time I went to Pigeon Hill was about 2014 or 2015. I went twice that year. Both times a bunch of young punk/thugs showed up and were being total jackasses. I was by myself both time with some expensive AR's. I normally shoot by myself. I was being looked at hard. There have been very few times in my life that someone has made me uncomfortable but during the second incident I had internal sirens going off like crazy. I have never been back since then.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The last time I went to Pigeon Hill was about 2014 or 2015. I went twice that year. Both times a bunch of young punk/thugs showed up and were being total jackasses. I was by myself both time with some expensive AR's. I normally shoot by myself. I was being looked at hard. There have been very few times in my life that someone has made me uncomfortable but during the second incident I had internal sirens going off like crazy. I have never been back since then.
View Quote
When I'm there by myself I always have a loaded pistol very visible on my hip, generally just have one rifle out of my car at a time and its slung. If I bring anybody with me, one person always stays with the guns while checking or changing targets.

I don't like going there because of the complete lack of safe weapon handling. Being muzzle swept by the same person multiple times in a matter of seconds, loaded guns resting on the bench pointing downrange/being handled when people are checking targets.

If I do ever go there now, its when nobody else wants to be there. Raining, snowing, super hot or cold temps, and the like.

I love the range, but the people that go there ruin it for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Happy to help with MCRC referrals.  Sent emails to those expressing interest in the thread.  

If I don't know you, or we don't have someone in common who can vouch for you -- all I ask is let's meet up for a cup of coffee and a quick trip to the range to ensure you know what you're doing (re: safe firearms handling)
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Happy to help with MCRC referrals.  Sent emails to those expressing interest in the thread.  

If I don't know you, or we don't have someone in common who can vouch for you -- all I ask is let's meet up for a cup of coffee and a quick trip to the range to ensure you know what you're doing (re: safe firearms handling)
View Quote
Email reply has been sent. I would certainly be interested in meeting you when I get home from deployment. What part of Kansas are you in? My mother-in-law lives in Lenexa and my family and I are out there quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I've just started the application process. I talked with a couple members on Sunday at Steel challenge and they agreed to sponsor me. Saving an hour for a range trip and decent hours beat the heck out of Hillsdale, (been there twice). I have everything put together and am just waiting on receiving letters of recommendation before I can submit the application. Best part is my wife loved steel challenge and with a really nice range 15 minutes away we'll be shooting quite a bit more. Just need to buy some 9mm Reloading dies now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just shot the USPSA match there today. As far as I know, that, and the 3 gun competitions are open to the public. Email the match director though. I met a couple of them today and they are really nice, helpful people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top