Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 1:05:28 PM EDT
My son is at boot camp there and should graduate the weekend of the 20th give or take a week. So what are some things to do/places to visit while there?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
While you're on base, the museum is worth a visit. Otherwise there's not a hell of a lot to do in the local area. Don't get me wrong its pretty and there are things to do like hiking hunting fishing.   There are a couple indoor ranges off base.  Don't bring firearms on base.

Weather right now is really pretty.

Congratulations to your son and please thank him for his sacrifices.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a bunch of nothing there.  It's a bit of a drive, but you could go to Springfield, MO, or you could drive up to Osage Beach, MO (Lake of the Ozarks).  As already said, the weather around here is really nice right now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're into hiking, the Big Piney Trail is only 20 miles south of the fort, in Paddy Creek Wilderness.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Bass Pro Wonders of Wildlife has grand opening on the 21st. A bit pricy but might be of interest to you and family.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
There that drive through wildlife ranch on the side of I-44 just NE of Springfield too.  I was a little skeptical as we drove in, and the first few minutes, but it was freakin cool!  Don't do their ride, just drive through in your car.  You can put the window down and pet stuff if there buses or people are not around.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't bring firearms on base.
View Quote
Guess I need to do some checking on that as I WILL be bringing a gun with me. Anyone know off hand their rules? I live just outside Ft Benning and there you have to separate the gun from the ammo, of course I had a membership to the range open to the public on base. I know I will NOT be leaving it in the Hotel when we go on base. I would have no problem leaving it with the MP's when signing in if that is an option.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone know off hand their rules?
View Quote
Best I could find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top