Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2017 12:55:06 PM EDT
I was told that the Missouri Conservationist put out a article saying you would get in trouble for shooting hogs because they are no longer a invasive species. Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
In case you don't click on that link;

"The take of feral hogs is prohibited on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Conservation Department. Hunting
hogs on other lands is strongly discouraged. Instead, report feral hog
sightings to 573-522-4115, extension 3296 or online. The Conservation Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, along with other partners
and hundreds of private landowners, are working to eradicate feral hogs
in Missouri.
When hunters shoot feral hogs, it complicates efforts to remove these pests. Hogs are social animals that travel in groups called sounders.
Shooting one or two hogs scatters the sounder and makes trapping efforts
aimed at catching the entire group at once more difficult, because hogs
become trap-shy and more wary of baited sites. With their high
reproductive rate, removing one or two hogs does not help to reduce
populations. Anyone who observes a feral hog or damage caused by feral
hogs should report it to the Conservation Department rather than
shooting the animal so we can work together towards eradication."
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In case you don't click on that link;

"The take of feral hogs is prohibited on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Conservation Department. Hunting
hogs on other lands is strongly discouraged. Instead, report feral hog
sightings to 573-522-4115, extension 3296 or online. The Conservation Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, along with other partners
and hundreds of private landowners, are working to eradicate feral hogs
in Missouri.
When hunters shoot feral hogs, it complicates efforts to remove these pests. Hogs are social animals that travel in groups called sounders.
Shooting one or two hogs scatters the sounder and makes trapping efforts
aimed at catching the entire group at once more difficult, because hogs
become trap-shy and more wary of baited sites. With their high
reproductive rate, removing one or two hogs does not help to reduce
populations. Anyone who observes a feral hog or damage caused by feral
hogs should report it to the Conservation Department rather than
shooting the animal so we can work together towards eradication."
View Quote
That's what the MDC says.

But then they go in gunning them with shotguns from helicopters.

To keep the sounders from scattering doncha know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Brought to you by the people who brought you multiflora rose,  Sericea lespedeza and Russian  Olive.  They're not invasive, trust us we are from the Government, we know best, and are here to help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
They eat real well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tell me more about this one. I haven't heard of them doing that.

They came down with the new law because they think trapping them is a better way to get rid of them. They think if you shoot one, all the others will scatter, and could potentially hurt someone if they're in the same area. This is also from the people who refuse to to plant birds to increase the population, because 20% survival rate is not good, but turn around and spend $30,000 per head of Elk, because planting habitat for them didn't bring them back
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the trap the MDC chose to use. Pretty cool IMO and can trap a lot more hogs than traditional traps.

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
So you can't shoot them on corps land or public land but you can shoot them on private property.

A friend texted me today he shot a 450lb hog on private land. He said he will take me next time. He has a bunch of land
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're on private land, and not near where they're doing the trapping, there's no reason not to blast every hog you see.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Brought to you by the people who brought you multiflora rose,  Sericea lespedeza and Russian  Olive.  They're not invasive, trust us we are from the Government, we know best, and are here to help.
View Quote
And don't forget the river otters they restocked. They told everyone that the otters would only eat non game fish. We saw how that worked out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They came down with the new law because they think trapping them is a better way to get rid of them. They think if you shoot one, all the others will scatter, and could potentially hurt someone if they're in the same area. This is also from the people who refuse to to plant birds to increase the population, because 20% survival rate is not good, but turn around and spend $30,000 per head of Elk, because planting habitat for them didn't bring them back
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They posted an article about it on their facebook page some time ago.

The response was hilarious.

ETA - Here

And I was wrong, the article says they used .308 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Remember when they said there are no Cougars in Missouri, but that you'll be fined if you shoot one?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Remember when they said there are no Cougars in Missouri, but that you'll be fined if you shoot one?
View Quote
Also remember when they claimed that MO didn't have a breeding population of bear. Now they are doing a research on the growing population.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#16]
MO Conservation is usually late to the party...

Lovely thing now is we have some weird 4 point adult bucks on the property I hunt that aren't legal to be killed. Yes... we have seen their spawn now too.

Thanks MDC
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, then a car hit one on I-35 in Kansas City, they tried to claim it was an escaped pet.

Thirty years ago they stated there were no Brown Recluse Spiders in Missouri, my wife was bitten and when we went to the doctor he said he had treated several Brown Recluse bites.
View Quote
MDC sure isn't who I'd trust about spiders, but neither are doctors. Doctors can't tell the difference between brown recluse bites and MRSA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also remember when they claimed that MO didn't have a breeding population of bear. Now they are doing a research on the growing population.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as they open a bear season soon, I'm OK with this.

But I know they wont.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MO Conservation is usually late to the party...

Lovely thing now is we have some weird 4 point adult bucks on the property I hunt that aren't legal to be killed. Yes... we have seen their spawn now too.

Thanks MDC
View Quote
SSS

Shoot Saute' and Shut Up!
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But I know they wont.  
View Quote
We'll get an Elk season before Bear. 2 years ago they said the population was close to being enough to hunt. They're really getting their money out of that investment......
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We'll get an Elk season before Bear. 2 years ago they said the population was close to being enough to hunt. They're really getting their money out of that investment......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I know they wont.  
That's kind of surprising. It took KY a long time before they started allowing elk hunts.

And then it was only a couple a year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's kind of surprising. It took KY a long time before they started allowing elk hunts.

And then it was only a couple a year.
View Quote
From the Red Star

Another article

Surprised as well, that they would think of hunting with such low numbers. But what the hell do we know. MDC knows better than us!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#24]
This sow tried to take my pants. She makes 260 hogs YTD 2016

Came across this video tonight. This is excatly how I imagine MDC trapping hogs goes. The funny/dumb shit starts at about 5 minutes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top