User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in Arnold just south of STL here.

needless to say I don't shoot enough...

So how longs it take you to get to ARPC, like 15 mins max???

That would be sweet... Takes me almost an hour each way...

10 minutes to that range.  My mother has farmland down 55 in St. Gen just outside Farmington in wine country.  I've shot there a few times too but its a bit under an hour there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Jefferson County (like my friend, I'll refer to myself as having immigrated here from St. Louis County, so not born and bred), and not far into it.

I generally go to Top Gun or Jay Henges, before they had some fool decide it needs to be a parking lot.  However, I'm really wishing I had a place to go shooting that A.) Wasn't going to deafen me with loudspeakers for shooting too fast, based on the judgement of some old fart that can't count (I got yelled at for putting *four* seconds between shots, once, at Jay Henges), B.) I can set up a chronometer, and C.) I can shoot at least 100 yards.

I've considered joining Benchrest and Arnold Pistol and Rifle.  Benchrest is a long drive for me, and, as I understand it, Arnold requires you to wait for a membership spot to open up.  I "need" to have access to some place for 600ish yard shooting, as I'm wanting to get into that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody want to get together somewhere and do some shooting in the St. Louis area Tues. 9/14? I am going to sight a few rifles in and probably will bring an AR for some fun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I live near West County Mall (Manchester and 270).  I belong to ARPC.  It's great, except for the drive....25-30 min each way for me.
The only thing closer is Jay Henges, and its hard to practice for Steel Challenge or IPSC w/ 1 rd every 3 seconds..

I am not aware of any wait-list for wait-time at ARPC.  Just go on a Wed or Sat morning between 8am and Noon, and they'll get you hooked up.

First year is $150 to join and $100 annual fee (I may have the backwards).  Everyone renews in January, so if you join now, you will be prorated.
After that, I believe its $150/yr + 2 'work days'.  If you don't do the work days, its $50 per work day to buy out.

They have about everything you'd want except for a range > 100 yds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Arnold requires you to wait for a membership spot to open up. I "need" to have access to some place for 600ish yard shooting, as I'm wanting to get into that.

When did you hear this about the membership spots??? Af far as I know that us incorrect.

I've been a member there for going on 6 years now and I've never heard anyone mention that..

Infact, last weekend I went into the office and told them I have a few friends wanting to join up in the next week and asked what the current hours are for Joining up are and the guys in the office told me, Sat 8-noonish... Sometimes on Wednesdays, but I don't remember the times on that one and its not posted on the site...

So, The current way to join is you have to show up on Satuarday mornings between 8 and noon,,, The gate will be open, you drive back in there a few hundred yards, look for the Admin building/office

Looks like this (Building with the two rockets out front on either side of the sidewalk entry)

You go in there, tell them you want to sign up to be a member... (Be warned, some of the guys running the show seem kinda grumpy or curmudgeonly, but they are pretty cool  after talking with them for a few minutes, they may even offer you coffie or donuts)

You'll need a current D/L or State ID, you must be 18+,

You must be a member of the NRA (they can sign you up for that on the spot if your not already a member) I think the NRA provides the range a deal on Insurance and this is part of their deal.

There is an one time initation fee of $100.00, then $150.00 a year (so 250.00 + a Year of NRA if not a current member)

So the next years renewal, will be 150.00 (and your NRA dues)

Every month, they have whats called ""Work Days", where a bunch of people show up, do a lot of standing around, then replace a lot of backstops and whatever else needs to be done... Only project I've seen anyone really work hard on, was prepping for the concrete walls in the Combat/Pistol pits... For this, you get a coloroed slip of paper, that you redeem at renewal time for a 50.00 credit... I'm not sure how many of these you can use, you'll want to ask on that, as I heard, different answers recently....

You'll get a monthly newsletter called the ""Muzzle Blast", with a Calander, showing each days events for the next two months and be Welcomeed to come to each months Club Member meeting , where you can voice your opinion on the goods and bads of how things are being ran, voice complaits or suggestions, hear whats going on, how they are spending club money and vote on issues... You are by no means required to show up to these, just welcomed too... Work/Wife permitting, I'm going to my 1st one tonight...

Here is the link for the range/club.. http://www.arnoldgunclub.org/

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll either answer them or find out of I don't know the answer...

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I live near West County Mall (Manchester and 270). I belong to ARPC. It's great, except for the drive....25-30 min each way for me.

The only thing closer is Jay Henges, and its hard to practice for Steel Challenge or IPSC w/ 1 rd every 3 seconds..

I am not aware of any wait-list for wait-time at ARPC. Just go on a Wed or Sat morning between 8am and Noon, and they'll get you hooked up.

First year is $150 to join and $100 annual fee (I may have the backwards). Everyone renews in January, so if you join now, you will be prorated.

After that, I believe its $150/yr + 2 'work days'. If you don't do the work days, its $50 per work day to buy out.

They have about everything you'd want except for a range > 100 yds.

Sorry, we're both typing that at same time... :)

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Arnold requires you to wait for a membership spot to open up. I "need" to have access to some place for 600ish yard shooting, as I'm wanting to get into that.

When did you hear this about the membership spots??? Af far as I know that us incorrect.

I've been a member there for going on 6 years now and I've never heard anyone mention that..

Infact, last weekend I went into the office and told them I have a few friends wanting to join up in the next week and asked what the current hours are for Joining up are and the guys in the office told me, Sat 8-noonish... Sometimes on Wednesdays, but I don't remember the times on that one and its not posted on the site...

So, The current way to join is you have to show up on Satuarday mornings between 8 and noon,,, The gate will be open, you drive back in there a few hundred yards, look for the Admin building/office

Looks like this (Building with the two rockets out front on either side of the sidewalk entry)

http://www.arnoldgunclub.org/photos/adminbldg.jpg

You go in there, tell them you want to sign up to be a member... (Be warned, some of the guys running the show seem kinda grumpy or curmudgeonly, but they are pretty cool  after talking with them for a few minutes, they may even offer you coffie or donuts)

You must be a member of the NRA (they can sign you up for that on the spot if your not already a member) I think the NRA provides the range a deal on Insurance and this is part of their deal.

There is an one time initation fee of $100.00, then $150.00 a year (so 250.00 + a Year of NRA if not a current member)

Every month, they have whats called ""Work Days", where a bunch of people show up, do a lot of standing around, then replace a lot of backstops and whatever else needs to be done... Only project I've seen anyone really work hard on, was prepping for the concrete walls in the Combat/Pistol pits... For this, you get a coloroed slip of paper, that you redeem at renewal time for a 50.00 credit... I'm not sure how many of these you can use, you'll want to ask on that, as I heard, different answers recently....

You'll get a monthly newsletter called the ""Muzzle Blast", with a Calander, showing each days events for the next two months and be Welcomeed to come to each months Club Member meeting , where you can voice your opinion on the goods and bads of how things are being ran, voice complaits or suggestions, hear whats going on, how they are spending club money and vote on issues... You are by no means required to show up to these, just welcomed too... Work/Wife permitting, I'm going to my 1st one tonight...

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll either answer them or find out of I don't know the answer...

Hope that helps.

Do they have a range there greater than 100 yards?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anybody want to get together somewhere and do some shooting in the St. Louis area Tues. 9/14? I am going to sight a few rifles in and probably will bring an AR for some fun.

I could do it a week from Tuesday if your able to then. Did you have a place in mind?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could do it a week from Tuesday if your able to then. Did you have a place in mind?

I can shoot every Tuesday bc I am off usually. Not sure where I want to shoot yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yall want a 600 yrd range, theres one here in Owensville (Owensville gun club) costs $20 yr, has 565 yrd rifle range, 100 yrd pistol range and shotgun range. Theres no 3 sec rule, no one there to watch over you, has pavilions, benches, feild house with BBQ pits. Its nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I have every other Tuesday off. I'd be up for a trip to Owensville. Maybe I can talk Kurt into taking a ride out there with me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have every other Tuesday off. I'd be up for a trip to Owensville. Maybe I can talk Kurt into taking a ride out there with me.

Where is Owensville?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You go in there, tell them you want to sign up to be a member... (Be warned, some of the guys running the show seem kinda grumpy or curmudgeonly, but they are pretty cool after talking with them for a few minutes, they may even offer you coffie or donuts)

Hope that helps.

Sadly, not at this point...  I have heard rumors that they are looking at putting one in, but I'm not sure where exactly that would be....

I'm going to try and go to a Monthy members meeting tonight, I'll ask about it then if I can...

One of my friends with a Bobcat is looking at Joining and said he would do the excavation for it if they need; so I'm going to mention that...  Who knows...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You go in there, tell them you want to sign up to be a member... (Be warned, some of the guys running the show seem kinda grumpy or curmudgeonly, but they are pretty cool after talking with them for a few minutes, they may even offer you coffie or donuts)

Hope that helps.

Sadly, not at this point...  I have heard rumors that they are looking at putting one in, but I'm not sure where exactly that would be....

I'm going to try and go to a Monthy members meeting tonight, I'll ask about it then if I can...

One of my friends with a Bobcat is looking at Joining and said he would do the excavation for it if they need; so I'm going to mention that...  Who knows...

I think every outdoor range should have longer ranges!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Arnold is a good range and not too far and Owensville is nice to but is much farther away ( at least for me in Kirkwood).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
"I am not aware of any wait-list for wait-time at ARPC."

Must've been Bullseye (not the one in the city, there's a private range half of the people at my gun shop are members of) they were talking about, then.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Imperial here, 11 mins to ARPC.  Definitely hoping that some day they are able to extend one of the rifle ranges. Meant to hit the members meeting tonight, but got tied up. I'm going to try to work the cowboy shoot if the day job lets up a bit.

We need to organize an AR15 APRC shoot now that the weather is nice...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi.  My name is Joe.

I live in St. Louis and I am a Gun Nut.
Whew... that feels good to finally get off my chest!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Imperial here, 11 mins to ARPC. Definitely hoping that some day they are able to extend one of the rifle ranges. Meant to hit the members meeting tonight, but got tied up. I'm going to try to work the cowboy shoot if the day job lets up a bit.

Man, I kinda wished I was closer, but if I lived 11 minutes from there, I would not have any retirment fnd as I'd use it all up on ammo....

I was at the meeting tonight...   I'm going to start trying to go to as many as I can...  I'm trying to get them to either put up an offical ARPC forum or let me create an un-offical one...  There is some concern as the club is a 501c and if someone were to come on there and start talking a whole load of crap about politics, it could jeapordise the clubs legal (501c) tax status...

The Powers That Be also commented that there are over a 1000 members in the club and they never get more than 45-50 members to show up and its always the same group thats the only ones that cares enough about the club to show up...

I almost said, its because they are all retired and have nothing else to do and the rest of us are out earning our membership fees and hustling our kids around to school functions...

Roger that on the ARPC shoot!!!  There is another Steel Plates Challenge Sept 18th (8-12) that I'm going to hit if I'm not on call.. You guys should get in on it....  Even if you are not a member, you can show up and shoot @ three events, and it only costs a BUCK, thats one Dollar....  You spend more than that at Taco Bell or White Castles....  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
As for ARPC, there is NO waiting list, and no talk of starting one. I've heard grumbling of needing one, as some people think the club has grown too big. But as I've never been there when it was too crowded, I disagree. The descriptions above cover most of the basics for joining. As for as building a larger range, it is unlikely. The club is built in a valley, and over the hill in the directions of all of the ranges shooting, is a subdivision. I guess its possible to dig into the hill and gain 50 yards at best, but not very practical. They offer pretty much everything a shooter needs, except longer distances.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imperial here, 11 mins to ARPC. Definitely hoping that some day they are able to extend one of the rifle ranges. Meant to hit the members meeting tonight, but got tied up. I'm going to try to work the cowboy shoot if the day job lets up a bit.

Man, I kinda wished I was closer, but if I lived 11 minutes from there, I would not have any retirment fnd as I'd use it all up on ammo....

I was at the meeting tonight... I'm going to start trying to go to as many as I can... I'm trying to get them to either put up an offical ARPC forum or let me create an un-offical one... There is some concern as the club is a 501c and if someone were to come on there and start talking a whole load of crap about politics, it could jeapordise the clubs legal (501c) tax status...

The Powers That Be also commented that there are over a 1000 members in the club and they never get more than 45-50 members to show up and its always the same group thats the only ones that cares enough about the club to show up...

I almost said, its because they are all retired and have nothing else to do and the rest of us are out earning our membership fees and hustling our kids around to school functions...

Roger that on the ARPC shoot!!! There is another Steel Plates Challenge Sept 18th (8-12) that I'm going to hit if I'm not on call.. You guys should get in on it.... Even if you are not a member, you can show up and shoot @ three events, and it only costs a BUCK, thats one Dollar.... You spend more than that at Taco Bell or White Castles....

i live in imperial and am a member of arpc.  i've been a member for a few years.  i mostly go in the late afternoon.  i've never seen more than 10 people.  most of the time it's just me......  i was there today from a little after 4 until 6:30.  i was the only one on the utility range the entire time.  one other person was shooting farther up the complex.  of course it was raining but that's where having the covered shooting stations is nice.  most of the time i go and plan on staying for an hour and i don't leave for 2 or 3.  it's a great place.

there is no waiting list.  they will be glad to take your money on any saturday up until noon!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was at the meeting tonight... I'm going to start trying to go to as many as I can... I'm trying to get them to either put up an offical ARPC forum or let me create an un-offical one... There is some concern as the club is a 501c and if someone were to come on there and start talking a whole load of crap about politics, it could jeapordise the clubs legal (501c) tax status...

Roger that on the ARPC shoot!!! There is another Steel Plates Challenge Sept 18th (8-12) that I'm going to hit if I'm not on call.. You guys should get in on it.... Even if you are not a member, you can show up and shoot @ three events, and it only costs a BUCK, thats one Dollar.... You spend more than that at Taco Bell or White Castles....

i live in imperial and am a member of arpc.  i've been a member for a few years.  i mostly go in the late afternoon.  i've never seen more than 10 people.  most of the time it's just me......  i was there today from a little after 4 until 6:30.  i was the only one on the utility range the entire time.  one other person was shooting farther up the complex.  of course it was raining but that's where having the covered shooting stations is nice.  most of the time i go and plan on staying for an hour and i don't leave for 2 or 3.  it's a great place.

there is no waiting list.  they will be glad to take your money on any saturday up until noon!

ETA: Nevermind...It's a few posts up
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#23]
"they will be glad to take your money on any saturday up until noon! "

Oh, I forgot to ask everyone here.  Is it *only* on Saturdays that one can sign up?  I work every Saturday from 8:00 to 16:00, so I can't make it there at the time stated.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Live in florissant here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

"they will be glad to take your money on any saturday up until noon! "

Oh, I forgot to ask everyone here. Is it *only* on Saturdays that one can sign up? I work every Saturday from 8:00 to 16:00, so I can't make it there at the time stated.

Several times, I've heard they are also there Wednesday mornings same times (8-noon)...  Someone mentioned it at the meeting last night...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#26]
So the question is do I join Benchrest or Arnold??
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

While you would think I'm biased, because I'm a happy member of ARPC, I would say thats up to you... You have to think/evaluate whats going to be right for you...

You may consider how do you feel about the following and that might help...

How important is the +100 Yards range??? If the most important than the only choice is BR... If not, move on to the rest of the questions...

Which one is closest? (can't remember where you were)

What are the cost to Join/renew?

Which is the easiest to get in and get a good bench at? (in over 5 years, I've never had to wait for a bench, @ worst I waited almost a full 2 minutes to be able to go Downrange and setup targets)

Which are you more likely to shoot with more ARFcom brothers or other shooters you know? This may or may not matter to you at all. While I enjoy shooting so much I go by mysef often, I prefer one or two or more shooting buds...

There may be other things for you to think about, just a few I could think of off the top of my head, htere may be others things that I forgot that someone else could add to help....

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#28]
SMULLEN is 100% correct.

I am a member of ARPC too.
Personally, I would say the #1 question is "...which one is the least painful to get to..."
I LOVE shooting, but sometimes it just seems like too much work to drag everything into  the car and drive all the way there.  If one is materially closer, or on your way to/from work, family, favorite store, etc., then pick that one.
I suppose its like exercise...the more you do it, the easier it gets to do it again (so they tell me...I have no personal experience in this)

Other than that, I have never been to BR, but hear its nice.  I am at ARPC at least a couple times a month, and I really love it.  I've mostly been doing pistol competitions, but want to work on my rifllery skills.  Maybe you could help me out with that!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#29]
South St. Louis City here.  I usually make the trip out to Logan, but go to Top Gun sometimes too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

While you would think I'm biased, because I'm a happy member of ARPC, I would say thats up to you...  You have to think/evaluate whats going to be right for you...

You may consider how do you feel  about the following and that might help...

How important is the +100 Yards range???  If the most important than the only choice is BR... If not, move on to the rest of the questions...

Which one is closest? (can't remember where you were)

What are the cost to Join/renew?

Which is the easiest to get in and get a good bench at?  (in over 5 years, I've never had to wait for a bench, @ worst I waited almost a full 2 minutes to be able to go Downrange and setup targets)

Which are you more likely to shoot with more ARFcom brothers or other shooters you know? This may or may not matter to you at all.  While I enjoy shooting so much I go by mysef often, I prefer one or two  or more shooting buds...

There may be other things for you to think about, just a few I could think of off the top of my head...

I am in St. Peters...Benchrest is in Wright City which is say 20-25 miles from me I am guessing. How far is Arnold away from me do you think? That covers the distance from me part, I would like to shoot at a 600 yard range, but I would shoot more pistol and 100 yard with rifles than anything.  I am slowly building a precision rifle for 1000+ yards, but don't know how much I would actually shoot it. At Benchrest I know you have to have someone sponsor you and take a mandatory course just to be considered so now a fan of that. Could I just go up to Arnold and pay the fees and join?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
SMULLEN is 100% correct.

I am a member of ARPC too.
Personally, I would say the #1 question is "...which one is the least painful to get to..."
I LOVE shooting, but sometimes it just seems like too much work to drag everything into  the car and drive all the way there.  If one is materially closer, or on your way to/from work, family, favorite store, etc., then pick that one.
I suppose its like exercise...the more you do it, the easier it gets to do it again (so they tell me...I have no personal experience in this)

Other than that, I have never been to BR, but hear its nice.  I am at ARPC at least a couple times a month, and I really love it.  I've mostly been doing pistol competitions, but want to work on my rifllery skills.  Maybe you could help me out with that!

I am always willing to help people out. Not saying I am the best, but I love shooting with other people.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#32]
In good conscience, I have to tell you that according to Mapquest, you are 44 miles or 50 minutes from St Peters to ARPC, and you are probably 20-25 mi from BR.

Yes, you just sign up at ARPC on Wed AM or Sat AM, pay the fee, get your member card (done instantly) and start shooting.  The IPSC and Steel Plate matches claims they now have a safety/qualification test, but I was in before they implemented that policy, and I have not seen that done.

In either case, we'd love to have you as a new member!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In good conscience, I have to tell you that according to Mapquest, you are 44 miles or 50 minutes from St Peters to ARPC, and you are probably 20-25 mi from BR.

Yes, you just sign up at ARPC on Wed AM or Sat AM, pay the fee, get your member card (done instantly) and start shooting. The IPSC and Steel Plate matches claims they now have a safety/qualification test, but I was in before they implemented that policy, and I have not seen that done.

I just shot my 1st Steel Plates Challange, last weekend (1st of amny match) and I did not hear anything about any tests or Qualifications; all I did was show my DL, my Dollar Bill and I was in....

Fun as hell it was....   Hopin to shot next weekend...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you just sign up at ARPC on Wed AM or Sat AM, pay the fee, get your member card (done instantly) and start shooting. The IPSC and Steel Plate matches claims they now have a safety/qualification test, but I was in before they implemented that policy, and I have not seen that done.

I just shot my 1st Steel Plates Challange, last weekend (1st of amny match) and I did not hear anything about any tests or Qualifications; all I did was show my DL, my Dollar Bill and I was in....

Fun as hell it was....   Hopin to shot next weekend...

Did you say a dollar?? I am assuming this is a pistol challenge?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fun as hell it was.... Hopin to shot next weekend...

Yea, Steel Challenge or Steel Plates... It was a Buck per person to enter...

There is another one @ ARPC on the 18th I think it is....  1st and 3rd Sat of each month...

I can't wait to try it again...  I did not do so well last time, but I still had a good time...  The shoot itself was fun, plus all the folks that I met Shot with were really cool; As I have found most gun folks are...

You guys should try it...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is another one @ ARPC on the 18th I think it is....  1st and 3rd Sat of each month...

I can't wait to try it again...  I did not do so well last time, but I still had a good time...  The shoot itself was fun, plus all the folks that I met Shot with were really cool; As I have found most gun folks are...

Hmmm I might just have to become a member....do they have a website?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, you just sign up at ARPC on Wed AM or Sat AM, pay the fee, get your member card (done instantly) and start shooting.  The IPSC and Steel Plate matches claims they now have a safety/qualification test, but I was in before they implemented that policy, and I have not seen that done.

Thanks for your honesty and information. I am leaning towards ARPC as of right now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is another one @ ARPC on the 18th I think it is.... 1st and 3rd Sat of each month...

I can't wait to try it again... I did not do so well last time, but I still had a good time... The shoot itself was fun, plus all the folks that I met Shot with were really cool; As I have found most gun folks are...

Who ARPC??? http://www.arnoldgunclub.org/

Or Steel Challenge??? http://steelchallenge.com/

Here are links to some of the stages....

• Pendulum (diagram)

• Roundabout (diagram)

• Showdown (diagram)

• Five To Go (diagram)

• Speed Option (diagram)

• Smoke & Hope (diagram)

• Outer Limits (diagram)

• Accelerator (diagram)

Let me know if you join or wanna shoot...
  • Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:52:20 PM EDT
    [#39]
    Quoted:

Quoted:
    Quoted:

Quoted:
    Quoted:

Quoted:

There is another one @ ARPC on the 18th I think it is.... 1st and 3rd Sat of each month...

I can't wait to try it again... I did not do so well last time, but I still had a good time... The shoot itself was fun, plus all the folks that I met Shot with were really cool; As I have found most gun folks are...

Who ARPC??? http://www.arnoldgunclub.org/

Or Steel Challenge??? http://steelchallenge.com/

Here are links to some of the stages....

• Pendulum (diagram)
  • Roundabout (diagram)
  • Showdown (diagram)
  • Five To Go (diagram)
  • Speed Option (diagram)
  • Smoke & Hope (diagram)
  • Outer Limits (diagram)
  • Accelerator (diagram)

Let me know if you join or wanna shoot...

• Awesome thanks...I am probably going to join ARPC and Benchrest if I can.  I am guaging interest right now in opening my own gun store. See my thread!
    Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:11:22 PM EDT
    [#40]
    Another South City guy here.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:40:35 PM EDT
    [#41]
    You know, I am a member of BRRC, and I cant say that I might not have missed a change in the way a person becomes a member. But I have not heard anything about a person that wants to become a member has to have someone sponsor them. I do know that you MUST go through a range orientation and safety talk. I would hope that A.P. club would have some kind of safety talk with it's new members.

STLMags I think it was you who said something about a sponsor requirement at BRRC. Where did you hear this? I also know that we have a referral system that if you said that Max-Paul brought you out as a guest and showed you around and you really liked the club and wanted to join. Well  I would get some kind of cash, but dont remember what that amount is.

Unless I find out differently, strange the strange rumors that get started. One thing for sure that APRC has going is the cowboy shooting and tactical shoots, but we do have the long range, range. Simply put, BRRC is for bench rest shooting, with a little spreading out to include some pistol. Tactical is not a strong point for us.
    Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:50:32 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Quoted:
    You know, I am a member of BRRC, and I cant say that I might not have missed a change in the way a person becomes a member. But I have not heard anything about a person that wants to become a member has to have someone sponsor them. I do know that you MUST go through a range orientation and safety talk. I would hope that A.P. club would have some kind of safety talk with it's new members.

STLMags I think it was you who said something about a sponsor requirement at BRRC. Where did you hear this? I also know that we have a referral system that if you said that Max-Paul brought you out as a guest and showed you around and you really liked the club and wanted to join. Well  I would get some kind of cash, but dont remember what that amount is.

Unless I find out differently, strange the strange rumors that get started. One thing for sure that APRC has going is the cowboy shooting and tactical shoots, but we do have the long range, range. Simply put, BRRC is for bench rest shooting, with a little spreading out to include some pistol. Tactical is not a strong point for us.

I requested an application for membership from them. On the application it said what member would be sponsering me and they only had a few select dates for the orientation which I am all for.
    Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:56:54 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:07:05 PM EDT
    [#44]
    Quoted:
    A sponsor is not required, that's just a means to know who recruited a new member.  However, orientations are spread out and new prospects have to wait to join until they complete the class.  The schedule was once per month, I don't know if it is more frequent now.

Benchrest is 26 or 27 miles from my house.  I live north of O'Fallon about 5 miles or so.

It's a little over 100 miles to Green Valley, a little over an hour to Owensville, and exactly 100 miles to PASA Park from home.  I drive to Riverhills near Booneville and Fallers near Hillsboro, Il. fairly often to shoot.  Even to Rend Lake or Sparta.  When a full day is made of the shooting, the drive is secondary and gives me a chance to rest on the way home.

10 4!! That is good to hear. I am thinking whatever gun club I join the members will recieve a discount at my gun shop when I open one up!
    Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:29:57 PM EDT
    [#45]
    According to Google Maps, Benchrest is 37 miles from my house in St. Peters and estimates a 1 hour drive to get there.  When I've gone out there with a friend of mine who is a member there in past, it's seemed like more of a 45 minute drive, but either way, I'd say your estimate of being 20-25 minutes away from BRRC in St. Peters is way low.

Also according to Google Maps, Arnold Rifle & Pistol Club is 42 miles away from my house in St. Peters and estimates a 1 hour drive to get there as well.  I've never been to ARPC so I can't say how long it really takes.

According to Google though, both ranges are about equi-distant from St. Peters and take almost exactly the same amount of time to drive there.

Benchrest is a nice facility, but as others have said, it's for benchrest shooting first and foremost.  They have rules against shooting rapidly (think 1 shot every few seconds).  Therefore, if tactical/rapid shooting is something you want to do, ARPC is probably going to be a better fit.
    Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:35:48 PM EDT
    [#46]
    Ok, to clarify the rate of fire. One shot every 3 seconds at all benches be it rifle or pistol. Now there is an exception. If you are on the pistol range and at the bench that the targets are at 7 yrds, then and only then can you rapid fire. Only thing that will control the rate of fire is your ability to get the muzzle back on the target, so that it is a safe shot that will end up in the berm and not over or in the ground. It's all about safety. We have had a few that didn't know what they were doing and put a few over the berms. One actually went through a guys window in his house. Just want people to take their time when shooting out some distance. And the BOD must think that anything over 7 yrds with a pistol might need a wee bit time to make sure that the shooter is back on target.

STLMag, I would think you would want to come out to both ranges before making a decision.
    Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:28:07 AM EDT
    [#47]
    While I wish we had a longer range at ARPC, I still prefer that place for a couple of reasons... and it has nothing to do with how I feel about the place, it is about how I train.

I do a lot of personal training with my carbines out to 25 yards (as part of my job training that is).  One shot every three seconds does not allow me train the way I need to, so BR is not the right choice.  Also, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to ARPC as opposed to almost an hour, depending on if the traffic is light, for BR.

I first considered BR as where I was going to join as my LaRue OBR loves to reach out and touch long distances... but I had to consider other things as well.

There is not a class involved with joining the ARPC, but there is a safety lecture regarding what they will and will not tollerate.  They also give you an orientation that drills in some of the rules that one must live by in order to join.  There have been a few instances of vandalism out there recently, with retards shooting up the target frames and not informing anyone about it.  We'll see what comes of it... I sure would like to catch one of those assholes...
    Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:54:06 AM EDT
    [#48]
    Crestwood, MO

Member at ARPC
    Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:24:00 PM EDT
    [#49]

Quoted:

While I wish we had a longer range at ARPC, I still prefer that place for a couple of reasons... and it has nothing to do with how I feel about the place, it is about how I train.

I do a lot of personal training with my carbines out to 25 yards (as part of my job training that is). One shot every three seconds does not allow me train the way I need to, so BR is not the right choice. Also, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to ARPC as opposed to almost an hour, depending on if the traffic is light, for BR.

I first considered BR as where I was going to join as my LaRue OBR loves to reach out and touch long distances... but I had to consider other things as well.

There is not a class involved with joining the ARPC, but there is a safety lecture regarding what they will and will not tollerate. They also give you an orientation that drills in some of the rules that one must live by in order to join. There have been a few instances of vandalism out there recently, with retards shooting up the target frames and not informing anyone about it. We'll see what comes of it... I sure would like to catch one of those assholes...

also the water tower incident.  the bad thing about arnold is that i now feel like i'm being watched by big brother, they installed cameras everywhere.  on the flipside, technology has now given us an automated gate!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:42:09 AM EDT
    [#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do a lot of personal training with my carbines out to 25 yards (as part of my job training that is). One shot every three seconds does not allow me train the way I need to, so BR is not the right choice. Also, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to ARPC as opposed to almost an hour, depending on if the traffic is light, for BR.

There is not a class involved with joining the ARPC, but there is a safety lecture regarding what they will and will not tollerate. They also give you an orientation that drills in some of the rules that one must live by in order to join. There have been a few instances of vandalism out there recently, with retards shooting up the target frames and not informing anyone about it. We'll see what comes of it... I sure would like to catch one of those assholes...

also the water tower incident. the bad thing about arnold is that i now feel like i'm being watched by big brother, they installed cameras everywhere. on the flipside, technology has now given us an automated gate!

This would not be a problem if it were not for some real idiots out there that think that just because they have paid to be a member they can act out and do whatever they want to do.

Page / 3
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top