User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty neat. Thanks for the pictures and the metric ton of time it probably took to post them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, I was definitely in zombie mode in the mornings.  Especially Sunday morning, being all stiff.  And today...holy crap!  Took a bit of effort to get out of bed!

And in regard to being pelted with brass:  I know the shooters next to me greatly appreciated my brass catcher!  So, not only did I retain 100% of my brass, but I didn't annoy and BURN my neighbors for 2 days straight.  (Granted, shooting in close proximity to others means muzzle blasts and flying brass, so it's always good to get some of those distractions literally thrown in your face occasionally.    )

I did get a few shell burns myself though, one is blistered up pretty badly today.  And, even with mulitple coats of sunscreen, I got a bit burned as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Glucosamine and Chondroitin help my decrepit ass with my hips and knees.

Another trick is to soak in ice water after significant exertion to avoid soar legs, or a soar lower half. It helps to constrict the blood vessels and move the acid out. It's a good running or training trick to maintain high mileage or continued physical exercise w/ little rest (like running a marathon the day before a half marathon). You have to be careful w/ heart and health issues when soaking in ice water the acids are concentrated in your blood and you can actually get a metallic taste while exhaling, but it does work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Glucosamine and Chondroitin helps my decrepit ass with my hips and knees.

Another trick is to soak in ice water after significant exertion to avoid soar legs, or a soar lower half. It helps to constrict the blood vessels and move the acid out. It's a good running or training trick to maintain high mileage or continued physical exercise w/ little rest (like running a marathon the day before a half marathon). You have to be careful w/ heart and health issues when soaking in ice water the acids are concentrated in your blood and you can actually get a metallic taste while exhaling, but it does work.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#13]
did you have to take a day off work to recover from that burn eric?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone goin to go to the one in August in Osage Beach?  I'll be there.  Our farm is a 1/2 hour away and I'll host a place to sleep to save people a hotel room if interested.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone goin to go to the one in August in Osage Beach?  I'll be there.  Our farm is a 1/2 hour away and I'll host a place to sleep to save people a hotel room if interested.

May take you up on that, I am going to hold out for a bit and see if they'll have another one at pioneer.  

PTK

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit....I have half a dozen burns on my left elbow alone, and two of them are blistering up.

I do agree though: wtf is up with 22 brass?  Most painful brass burns I've ever had are from .22lr brass.  They're like the Paper Cuts of brass burns....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

May take you up on that, I am going to hold out for a bit and see if they'll have another one at pioneer.  

PTK

This may be closer to you, its the only other place this year except osage beach.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5339.0
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Hm....if I stick with my dry-practice and/or get a .22 kit for the AR, I might be ready for another try by August.  If so, I will gladly take you up on the offer of camping out on your land at Osage, Mustangracer.

And, that one in September is also tempting....

I need to see if I can squeeze blood from a stone (ie money from my budget) to get a Spike's kit soon....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to see if I can squeeze blood from a stone (ie money from my budget) to get a Spike's kit soon....

I'm leaning the other direction.  Now I want to see if I can qualify again but with my retro A1 skinny-barrel clone, and then try it with my HK91 clone in .308.  

Just make sure you let me know when you're bring'n out the HK, I don't want to try and make rifleman next that tank break!

PTK
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#22]
From asking what I can do to help out on the Appleseed forum, the MO state coordinator said that they are hoping to get another one scheduled at Pioneer in November.  If so, I'll definitely be at that one.  The Osage shoots will require either convincing of the girlfriend to participate or excessive bribery to be gone for the weekend.  :)

Hogue Overmold stock on the way to replace the Carbine length stock on my 10/22.  Decided that was a cheaper route than the $300 for a heavy barrel and new stock.  

And next time I'll have my AR sighted in with the ammo I'm going to use rather than switching over to it for fun in the last couple of hours.  My groups with it were the best groups I shot all day, too bad they were 4" low...  It sure got enough comments from the instructors on our end of the line.  "What in the hell do you have all over that thing?!?"

Finally, if the stars align, my CMP 30-06 ammo will have arrived by the next shoot so I'll be able to use my brand new shiny Garand.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hogue Overmold stock on the way to replace the Carbine length stock on my 10/22.  Decided that was a cheaper route than the $300 for a heavy barrel and new stock.  

I can tell you from experience that the Hogue stock gets REAL slippery when wet with sweat.  I am going to replace mine as soon as I can find a suitable fiberglass/kevlar/whatever stock that has adult proportions, is affordable (less than $200) and is not as flexible as the Hogue stock.  

In your case I would consider the cheap option and buy an extended recoil pad for that Carbine stock from Midway or Brownells.

Well, I checked out one of the Overmold stocks that another guy had on his 10/22 and it was less slippery than my laminated stock with a good LOP.  I like the Bell & Carlson Varmint stock, but it requires a .920 barrel...  Since I get C&R dealer pricing from Midway, if the Hogue stock turns out less than ideal, I can probably get about what I paid for it in resale.  I figured getting an extra 1.5" of LOP from a recoil pad wouldn't be that great as it might introduce some instability when the sling is pulled tight and an adjustible buttplate costs more than the Hogue stock...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Thought I would bump this back up.

The bushnell outlet store in KS has 1 1/4" non-detachable swivel kits for a whopping $2.00, the lee's summit store might have them but I'm not sure.

One swivel has a wood screw thread (for the rear) and one has a machine thread and a nut (for the forearm)

Thought you kc guys might like to save a little $$ while you're building you LTR's for the next shoot.  

PTK
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I just ordered a Spike's .22 Conv kit and a couple of the BDM half-body 15 round mags (Arfcom group buy) to go with it.  I also have a mini dry fire range setup in my hallway, with a scaled down AQT hanging out in the living room.  I am looking forward to the next one!
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just ordered a Spike's .22 Conv kit and a couple of the BDM half-body 15 round mags (Arfcom group buy) to go with it.  I also have a mini dry fire range setup in my hallway, with a scaled down AQT hanging out in the living room.  I am looking forward to the next one!

Me Too!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me Too!!!

Uhh, which one?  The kit or the hallway?

Looking Forward Duh....
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Is that an Ess Kay Ess?

Any Ay Kays on the line?
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that an Ess Kay Ess?

Any Ay Kays on the line?

Yup, way on down at the other end.

Did he even make "Marksman"?
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that an Ess Kay Ess?

Any Ay Kays on the line?

Yup, way on down at the other end.

Did he even make "Marksman"?

No idea.  I was the only one to earn the patch on Sat and 5 others earned it on Sun.  But, he was there learning so he is worlds ahead of a lot of folks.

ETA: BTW, the guy wearing the green jacket and blue oven mitt (bottom, right) is a fidgety kicker.  Every damn time I was ready to break a shot he would kick me.  I would move away from him a bit, and then he'd kick me again. I know it wasn't nearly as distracting as incoming fire, but I earned the patch, while being kicked, just to spite him.  

Also, that pic was taken on Sunday.  I know 'cuz of the rifle I'm shooting and the kicker isn't next to me.  As luck would have it I ended up on the right side of a lefty on Sunday as well.  I shall call the Sunday guy Mr Hot Brass Thrower On Me Guy.  The only position where his hot brass wasn't raining down on me was while standing.  It was kind of funny being in the sitting position and having his empties bounce off of my back.  However the branding-hot ones that landed on and under my leg while prone weren't nearly as funny.

You should've kicked his ass right back!  I'm going to try and get me one of those patches in september!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top