Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/26/2006 4:55:00 AM EDT
My wife is trying to narrow it down to either Notre Dame or IUPUI for her Phd in Biology. We know what the schools are like but I need information on the locations to move my family. Notre Dame at South Bend and IUPUI at Indy each have their pluses and minuses in my book and was I looking for all of your opinions on where to live and what to look out for in terms of buying a house in either location. I am familiar with Indy as my wife grew up here and the grandparents still reside down here in South Indy. I am looking for opinions from the arfcom family who still practice their 2nd amendment rights.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:51:26 AM EDT
Having lived in both areas in general, when it comes to Indiana, I prefer as far south as possible. But I still have friends in, and hunt, fish or shoot in all areas of the state.

I think it really comes down to where you think you might find work and what you want to spend on housing or land. In addition, decision number 1 is how close do you plan to live to school, regardless of school choice? minutes away, 15-30 minutes or an hour each way?

You can live west of Indy, like the plainfield area and not be too far from IUPUI but NOT live in the city. If you choose to live westside of Indy do not go below 38th street unless you head into Speedway. It is all relative. You better do your homework though, more of the westside hoods have become section 8 and shooting gallerys.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:55:20 PM EDT
It sounds like my wife is starting to lean towards South Bend (Notre Dame). What should we be aware of living in South Bend?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:37:21 AM EDT
South Bend really sucks rocks.
Anti gun, schools have their issues depending on which one you go to, high taxes.
SB is a Demo town and they rule with an iron fist.
Downtown has really gone to pot in the last few years.
You will want to look around in Granger or Mishawaka or south or even up in Niles.
Don't get me wrong, it is a nice area to be in, but South Bend is a real hole.
Stay away from the west side of town! Very bad.
Grape Road is where all the big shopping mall places are at.
Very crowded at holiday time.
Notre Dame home football games are a b-tch to get around town anywhere.
Better to try and avoid being anywhere around there unless you want to party.
Roseland is having some real issues with their city council right now.
Not a good situation at all.
PHM is a good school corp, but you will pay for it.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, someone will add on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:22:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 12:25:37 PM EDT by k12lts]

Originally Posted By krazy_karl:
It sounds like my wife is starting to lean towards South Bend (Notre Dame). What should we be aware of living in South Bend?

It's cold in the winter with lots of lake effect snow!!

Southern Indiana is the place to be. Hills, trees, roads with curves.
Look at Columbus. About 40 min commute to IUPUI, good job opportunities.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:14:27 AM EDT
I would not recommend living within the city limits of South Bend or Mishawaka. The traffic and crowds get old real fast.

If South Bend is where the job and school will be, then I would pick somewhere 10-15 miles west of the area. The corridor north of Hamlet to Heston is pretty decent. I would have said no to MI a year ago, but they now allow NFA and have CCW laws for the regular folks. There are some nice quiet areas just west of Niles MI.

Be aware, property tax rates vary greatly in Northern Indiana from township to township.

send me an email if you want, happy to help.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:14:29 AM EDT
I live just south of Walkerton, which is 30 min south of South Bend. I am 15 min away from Kingsburry DNR range. Property taxes are low where I am(Koontz Lake area). Traffic is light in the morning. Plenty of land around here for sale. All in all not bad. About 30 min to South Bend and 30 min to Valpo. just my .02.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:03:13 AM EDT
We decided to move to the south bend area for the next 5 years as a Phd from Notre Dame with full funding and a salary is too good to pass up. We will survive.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:16:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By krazy_karl:
We decided to move to the south bend area for the next 5 years as a Phd from Notre Dame with full funding and a salary is too good to pass up. We will survive.....

Good Luck
Top Top