Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me if the ATF will issue an FFL if you want to gunsmith?refinish from home. Of course there would be some buisness done also. anyone I could talk to about details? I can't afford A shop. I just want to duracoat etc on the side. But I am sure I could find some people to purchase do transfers for etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,

ZSD
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can anyone tell me if the ATF will issue an FFL if you want to gunsmith?refinish from home. Of course there would be some buisness done also. anyone I could talk to about details? I can't afford A shop.

Although "kitchen table FFLs" are FAR fewer in number than they once were, they're still out there. Contrary to popular belief, the BATFE will issue you a license even if you don't have a storefront, as long as you meet their other requirements (security system, provision for secure storage of firearms on the premises, etc) and intend to run a legitimate business rather than just having the FFL to enhance your collection. A buddy of mine recently went through this. When he first started up, he operated out of his garage. Had the ATF inspector out to the house, and was issued his FFL soon after.

If you choose to do this, know that ATF reserves the right to inspect the entirety of the business premises (i.e. your home) at any time. For that reason, many home-based FFLs have their business in an outbuilding with a separate physical address from their residence. Also, bear in mind that "having a shop" doesn't necessarily mean prime retail space. My buddy later moved his business out of his garage and into a glorified garage/storage unit in an industrial park, and the ATF approved that location, too. His monthly rent there is very affordable.

HTH!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Although "kitchen table FFLs" are FAR fewer in number than they once were, they're still out there. Contrary to popular belief, the BATFE will issue you a license even if you don't have a storefront, as long as you meet their other requirements (security system, provision for secure storage of firearms on the premises, etc) and intend to run a legitimate business rather than just having the FFL to enhance your collection. A buddy of mine recently went through this. When he first started up, he operated out of his garage. Had the ATF inspector out to the house, and was issued his FFL soon after.

If you choose to do this, know that ATF reserves the right to inspect the entirety of the business premises (i.e. your home) at any time. For that reason, many home-based FFLs have their business in an outbuilding with a separate physical address from their residence. Also, bear in mind that "having a shop" doesn't necessarily mean prime retail space. My buddy later moved his business out of his garage and into a glorified garage/storage unit in an industrial park, and the ATF approved that location, too. His monthly rent there is very affordable.

+1

Although a security system or safe aren't required. If your zoning allows you to run a business, then ATF will approve the location.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks so much you guys! I am also interested in researching the dealer discounts on different firearms etc but no one will divulge until they have my FFL on File. any ideas on who I might talk to who would be willing to give me a rough Idea.

thanks again

ZSD
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Many distrubitors won't even talk to you unless you plan on spending X amount of thousands of dollars w/ them, have a storefront, etc. Not all are like this, just some.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the paper and have talked to the ATF I'm planning on getting my 07 and the SOT after June.  My question for those that might know is it good to start up as a Corp. or a LLC?  I have found that the LLC will be viewed no better then a Sole proprietorship in the way I'm wanting to set up the business end.  Or should I start as a sole proprietor first and then change to a Corp.?  I don't plan on selling anything in the beginning because I have 2 weapons that I have designed that I want to build first, plus a silencer design.  I need the SOT to design and build these, I explained this to the ATF agent and he said that should be just fine.  I just need to know what would be best for my business entity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I just shipped my FFL application out last week.  I would imagine that it will be at least a couple of months before I will have any info to update here but I plan to do just what you asked about.  I do some minor gunsmithing and refinishing and have had requests from out of state folks to do work for them.  I decided it would be much easier to do this if I had my own FFL so I organized a LLC last week with the State and submitted my app to the BATFE.  I was informed by BATFE that zoning poses the largest problem for most so I contacted the zoning board here and submitted a business plan and diagram of my house (per their request) to obtain a compliance certificate before BATFE comes a knockin.

If I get any more info or updates I'll share them here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have chose to incorporate do to the fact that the LLC will not give me the liability protections in this state that I'm looking for.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have a decent resource to learn about the differences between LLC's and other Corporations?  The Secretary of State's website was the only thing I could find and it's pretty limited on information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top