Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 7:57:53 PM EDT
I know it will be more city than I really wanted, but I need to worry some about price. What is the area like? How bad is it?
How about other areas on the outskirts of Indy, near Brownsburg? Just looking at all my options.
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
you should look at lebanon.  It's about 25 minutes from brownsburg.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You might try Mooresville or Camby. Its only 5 min from the airport. And you get away from all the city stuff
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
We live on the southeast side just north of Beach Grove not too bad an area good nieghbors but still not counrty life plan on gettin out around New Palestine or maybe along flatrock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at Beech Grove, but I want to br more on the westside of the 465 loop. There's alot of complexes near 56th and 465. How is this area and the area near speedway? If I'm going to pay more, I'll live in Plainfield or Brownsburg. I'm trying to look at areas that will save a little $ (for guns and drums). There's another nice looking complex about halfway between 7 & 8 o' clock on 465. What info can you guys give me on these areas?
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Boss,
If you are talking about buying a place, Plainfield does have the lowest property taxes in Hendricks county. There are some lower priced homes in the older neighborhoods that are nice.
We used to live near 56th and 465 and we had a gun pulled on us twice (we won both times!)and some druggie tried to break down our door at 2am.  Not a good area if you have family, in my opinion.  We broke our lease and got the heck outta there.
Apartment wise, Stafford Pointe in Plainfield isn't bad.  I think the cost is comparable to other apartments in the Indy area.  
Marian
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Marian. What is Speedway like, specifically the Aspen village apts? We're the only white couple in a mostly black complex. The people that have lived here a while still fear me a little, so we haven't been messed with. When I was managing the outdoor shooting range, I would always be going to and from my car with a brown attache case and rifle cases. I was always going to and from work with a leather holster on. There was a rumor going around that I was a hitman. I love superstition. Sometimes I would just throw my my mil OD green belt rig over my shoulder with my 1911 in it, my car is only right in front of my apartment. One of the kids even asked me if I was here to kill all the black people.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Since I recently got my face slapped for saying not-so-nice things about our African brethren, I'll say this only.  Don't move to Speedway or anywhere else inside the loop if you would prefer good service, non-surly fast-food places, etc.etc...

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#8]
On the west side, around 465, the gang activity was all the way up to 65th street 10 years ago.  If you are going to live close to Indy on the west side, start from 65th and work north and west outside of 465.

From 10th to 38th should be considered off limits, including parts of Speedway.  But then again I have friends who live in the middle of that area.  I just don't see getting off to a good start living in that area of Indy.  If I am on the west side, I am in Plainfield.  Damn near bought out there back in 92.

There are some apartment complexes right along 465 starting at 38th and going north.  You could look at some of those.

Inside of 465, you can drive north along Michigan road and find places, especially if you turn east on 71st (73rd?) and other roads, but you are on your own there.

If you are stubborn, you can tuck in around Georgetown between 16th and 38th, really 34th.  Plan on daily carry, car break ins, and wrecks too.

Maybe I am getting old.  When I was young I lived in some real low rent war zones in Atlanta, BUT my girl friend, now wife, did not live with me.  She was in a better area.  She was NEVER home alone at my apartment.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What does Chapel Hill look like? There is also one complex on 74 just west of 465, Marabou Mills, any info on that? There's alot of complexes I haven't seen pictures of (like the one Marian talked about) that I have to see when I get there. The prices are right. There's one on 38th next to 465 called Village Square. They have nice layouts and decent prices, I just don't know about the area.
Thanks everyone for the info.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't mind living in a place that's not as nice, the extra $100+ I save a month can go to the drumset, and the Gemtech Outback for my P22.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
You wont have many possessions if you pick the wrong spot. Ask me how I know.LOL
 I would look into a cheaper country place. A house can be had for affordable rent in the country.Even on a single mans budget.
  Im the type: You can steal my car,rob my shed,kick my dog,steal my wife,but don't touch my %uckin' guns! LOL  
      Maybe one of us can meet ya when you move here and show ya arround. It would be sad if you were to come hime to an empty appartment as I have more than once. Be carefull and let the guys who know more of the area help you avoid a potentially bad area. You will probably be arround a more positive neighborhood just picking the right spot. Did I mention I have played guitar for 20 yrs?        

Give me a call if you wish,(812)201-5462

jerryboy
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]
When I get there, I'll put my stuff in storage, and go looking. I'll give you a call. I'll be out there by the 12th.

P.S. If any ar15.commer want to help me move when I get my apt, I'll buy pizza, soda and chips.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I am helping my west side friend move Saturday so that is my quota for westside moves this year.

On a different note;  just what Indy needs, another gun totin' rock star on the west side.  If you are in to country and southern rock, then live close to the 8 Seconds Saloon on the west side.  A few months ago Montgomery Gentry played and my friends band opened for them.  

Maybe that is a good Indy arfcom get together.  Drink some beer at the 8 Seconds Saloon.

www.8secondssaloon.com/
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with zoub.  The downtown area can't be beat.  However, venture a few blocks east or west of the White river, be careful.  I have 2 kids in college there-get outside the Butler or the downtown areas by a few blocks & pack what you must-I do.  If I had to move to the Indy area, I'd move outside the 465 loop, north, south, east or west.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Haughville is very nice on the near west side... j/k stay west of 465.. I may be persuaded to help move... I may not be real smart, but I can lift heavy things.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to start work an extra day later, just to be sure to get things into storage. If we end up needing extra help, I'll post here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know about the Village Square apts on Mission ave near 465 & 38th, just south of 37th?
Marion, I'm checking out Stafford Point. They're running a pretty good special right now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#18]
465 &38th - That's a war zone.  Stafford Pointe is where all the Plainfield cops live..it's nice.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Now that's the things I like to hear. Looks like it's going to be hard to beat the 2 bedroom deal at Stafford Point. Thanks, you rock.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#20]
no problem....believe me, don't move to Indianapolis if you can at all avoid it.

Edited to add: Welcome to Indiana.  CCWs are $25 for 4 years, and are shall-issue.  We have a couple of great FFLs in the area, and a Class III dealer in Danville who's excellent.

It's a great place if you like guns.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I just helped my friends move saturday from their westside apartment on 10th street.  Their vehicles were only broken in to a couple of times.  Not bad huh?

Plainfield is 10 times better!

QS is the class III dealer in danville Sunset Weapons?  I met them recently I like them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, Brian is a good egg.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Then I guess I know who I'm getting my Gemtech Outback through.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]
FYI, the guy who owns the 8 Seconds Saloon also owns another club on the westside that will comfort you even more than Hooters will.

Indy 1500 gun show is coming up at the end of August.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Guys, I live about an hour and a half south of the airport, and that's as close as I want to get to living in Indy. Large cities just make me nervous; I hate driving in them. I like to go out on my porch here in the country, urinate off it if I choose, shoot an opossum in my yard--you get the picture. If I were to work in Indy, I'd take off driving a minimum of a half hour from the 465 loop before I started looking for a place to live. A little drive never hurt anyone.

As for Sunset Weapons, someone is going to have to show me the way there soon. I bought a transferable M16 rifle from out of state Sunday and it's being transferred there to Brian's shop.

Good luck with your search, Boss-Monkey. I'm sure the Indy guys will take care of you and find you a comfortable place to live.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Go to 10th street and turn left.
Keep going until it ends.
turn right.
drive 50 to 100 yards or so.
you are there.

-Nuke
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top