Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2003 5:32:43 PM EDT
A job opened up in Brownsburg that I applied for. I wanted to go down towards Evansville, but my company won't be moving there for 1-2 years. If I take the job in Brownsburg I can work there a few years, then transfer to Evansville.
I'm going to have to rent, so where are some decent areas?
Last time I asked, everyone said most of the cities outside of the 465 circle are good. Some even told me Brownsburg isn't bad. I was going to move to Santa Claus and live in Christmas Lake Village, then commute to evansville. What's going to be a good area that's smalltown-ish, and rural? I know most apartments are going to be in a more urban setting, but either house or apt are fine. If I get the position, I could be out there by September.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownsburg is a very nice place.  Zionsville is also right in that area but is a little $$ or a little farther north is my hometown of lebanon.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You can always live West of Brownsburg, and drive in to town from that direction.  There are  some "small" towns out there like Jamestown.  It just depends on what you want quicker access to, Indy or the rural areas.  Also look at Daleville.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My ex-wife moved to Daleville, AL so moving to Daleville, IN would be odd (although I'm sure Daleville is nice, Indiana that is).
Actually being close to Brownsburg would probably be better than close to Indy, since I have to be in Brownsburg 5 out of 7 days a week.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you mean Danville?
What about Martinsville, Mooreville, all the little towns around the area?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in Plainfield, the next town south of B'burg, and MarianLibrarian(my SO) works in Brownsburg.  They're both fairly nice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Brownsburg. It isn't too bad.  There isn't too much to choose from in the way of apartments though.  In fact, the only ones I can think of are east on 56th street (not too far from 267).  It is a quick shoot into west Indy down 74, 56th, or 86th, depending on where you want to go.  Not much crime but it's building up fast so it shouldnt be too long.  

-Nuke

Edited to ask : what's the job?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I meant Danville, sorry.  

Move to Plainfield. Nobody ever mistakes Plainfield for another town, burg or ville.  If you like fishing, there is a great BASS chapter there too. I use to be a member, back when I had a life.

"What is the difference between Eastsiders and Westsiders?  The Westsiders all have jobs."  As a westside budy once told me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Plainfield shooting supply would be a nice neighbor to have.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I started looking at Plainfield, nice. There's alot of nice houses, hopefully some will be for rent. I appreciate everyone's help. I'll know in the morning what will happen. I have my 2nd interview via conference call @ 8:00 am. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I like Plainfield.  My family has been here for fifty years or better.  It's beginning to deteriorate as we get more undesirable elements from Indianapolis, but it still beats the snot out of most places around here.  You can be downtown in 15 minutes, or out in the country 15 minutes the other way.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Anything would be better than where we are now (short of downtown Indianapolis).

If anyone knows of any homes for rent in the area, please let me know.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll look around for you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, Indy Star has been slim, and alot of realtors have no opening for rentals.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#14]
On finding a rental home, when my wife and I decided to move to Indy.  I took a job here, then came and stayed with friends.  I constantly drove through the area we picked out to live in.  I literally pulled up as the landlord was putting the sign in the yard.  I was already behind someone else on the list!  She backed out and I got it.  Pure luck and effort I guess.  It seemed to me finding rental homes was fairly difficult in good neighborhoods.

It may be "easier" to get a furnished apartment for a month or two and run around trying to find a place after you get here.

Regardless, cost of housing here is great compared to similar cities.

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
It's pretty similar to here. I'll be fine in an apartment if I have to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
They were thinking about having me start on August 4th. It's not set in stone, but it might happen. I need to pack, REALLY FAST!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top