Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 7:12:20 PM EDT
At the end of May I am flying to Rhode Island, through Baltimore.  When I get to Rhode Island I will be picking up my son who is at the Naval Academy Prep school and driving with him home to Texas with his Jeep.  I don't want to drive cross country unarmed so I plan on taking a couple of pistols with me.  

Can anyone tell me if I will have any problems with the transfer in Baltimore with my luggage?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't airline transfers fall under the federal jurisdiction?  I don't think you have to claim your firearms for every leg, just the initial booking.  Someone else may have better info.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Flying shouldn't be a problem, it's in checked luggage, not on your person.

You're driving through a lot of states that don't allow carry though - for example if you come back through MD you can't even have loaded mags.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Flying shouldn't be a problem, it's in checked luggage, not on your person.

You're driving through a lot of states that don't allow carry though - for example if you come back through MD you can't even have loaded mags.

When you are headed back from Newport, doesn't I-95 take you through NYC?  I think NYC and NJ have repeatedly shown that they do NOT respect the provisions of the FOPA.  Even if they did, you still have to have everything cased up and mags unloaded to be covered by FOPA.

You're headed through a lot of anti-gun territory.....Maybe if you avoided I-95 and found a way to drive back through Vermont, upstate NY, PA instead of RI, CT, NYC, NJ, DE, MD.  You would find this route to be much more gun-friendly.

Also don't forget that you can NOT bring your firearms (regardless of whether they are cased or not) onto the grounds of Naval Station Newport.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
[You're headed through a lot of anti-gun territory.....Maybe if you avoided I-95 and found a way to drive back through Vermont, upstate NY, PA instead of RI, CT, NYC, NJ, DE, MD.  You would find this route to be much more gun-friendly.

To get to and from VT (especially from RI) you have to go through MA and NY at a minium.  You won't save anything but you will add a few hundred miles and a day's journey to the trip.

There is nobody in NY or NJ (or any of those other states for that matter) that are stopping cars and checking your vehicles.  I have driven MANY MANY times throught NJ, NY & NYC, and CT with handguns, ARs, and even an FAL the 'gun police' didn't drag me off.

Just keep the weapon unload and locked in your luggage, by the time you are out of those states it will be only half a days journey.  Also check which states honor your CCW and which don't.  For the ones that don't you will have to store the unloaded weapons in the trunk once again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top