Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/8/2006 4:56:01 PM EDT
Hey guys,

If I cross the river, what are the restrictions with regards to weapons I can have in my vehicle or magazine capacities?

I may have to go over there later this week and don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:10:05 PM EDT
This will come as a shock to those of you who live on the free side of the river......

You can NOT have a weapon in your vehicle in MD unless you are traveling DIRECTLY to or from the range/gun store and back to your home. Technically, if you stop to take a piss on your way back from the range, you are breaking the law. Do not bring a firearm of any type (handgun, long gun, whatever) with you when you come to MD, unless you are going to a range over here.

Magazine capacity isn't an issue....you can't purchase mags over 20 rnd, but you can posess anything you like here. Also, no "assault pistols" (Uzi, AR pistol, SP-89, etc.).

Mag capacity doesn't really matter though, because its unlikely that you will be able to legally have a weapon with you in your vehicle (and most certainly not on your person either).

My advice....stay on the free side of the river.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:18:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By libertyforall:
You can NOT have a weapon in your vehicle in MD unless you are traveling DIRECTLY to or from the range/gun store and back to your home. Technically, if you stop to take a piss on your way back from the range, you are breaking the law. Do not bring a firearm of any type (handgun, long gun, whatever) with you when you come to MD, unless you are going to a range over here.

Wrong. This only applies to handguns and regulated ("assault") weapons, NOT long guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:07:10 AM EDT
Squeaky, respectfully: "Wrong" yourself.

I don't have time to search the statutes right this minute, but there is NO distinction - a firearm in the vehicle is a firearm in the vehicle, and unlawful unless you have a valid reason to be transporting a firearm.

Some examples of permited activities are: showing a collection (carry your letter), carrying it to a sale, taking it to a range, hunting spot, or gunsmith . . . otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:14:31 AM EDT
FYI there has been some discussion here on this, but best bet is to have your mags unloaded & all ammo separate from mags/guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:38:29 PM EDT
Yikes,

Might have to leave my truck on free territory and ride with my buddy. Thanks for the heads up fellas!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:12:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 6:14:39 AM EDT by squeky]

Originally Posted By eshell:
Squeaky, respectfully: "Wrong" yourself.

I don't have time to search the statutes right this minute, but there is NO distinction - a firearm in the vehicle is a firearm in the vehicle, and unlawful unless you have a valid reason to be transporting a firearm.

Some examples of permited activities are: showing a collection (carry your letter), carrying it to a sale, taking it to a range, hunting spot, or gunsmith . . . otherwise, no.

Sorry, that came across as harsh. I've been looking and unable to find anything about long rifle transportation being the same as handgun/regulated transportation. If you have the statute/code, I would love to see it--respectfully.

ETA: The DNR laws may hold the answer, the general MD state firearms laws don't. This was gone over before with no evidence of it not being legal (although it was said it wasn't legal). I'll call the enforcement division if no one can find anything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:31:06 AM EDT
OK, it looks like I am w-w-wr-wr-wro mistaken myself and stand corrected.

Sorry for the incorrect information, and, thank you Squeky.

I have gone to the MD statutes and I see that the restrictions on transportation I stated above ALL extend to handgun transport (only). The only restriction on long guns I see is that they must be unloaded. Here is a quick reference www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html that shows the following excerpts:

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

It is a crime to wear or carry openly any rifle or shotgun with the intent or purpose of unlawfully injuring any person.

The DNR site, under "general hunting regulations" further reinforces this same thing:

In addition to the regulations listed elsewhere in this guide, IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:
Have a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine.

www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/geninfo.asp
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:02:21 AM EDT
You actually found something that said it was ok! That's great. The best I could do was find nothing that said it wasn't. I just want the most accurate info out there, nothing to do with feeding an ego/proving anyone wrong. Nice humble concession (were you quoting Family Guy?), I would have done the same
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:33:35 AM EDT
Note it says 'TRANSPORTED' not stored (i.e. transporting from your house to the hunting grounds, transported from you house to the range). There is nothing there that says it's ok to leave a long arm in your trunk, nor does it imply it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:42:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
Note it says 'TRANSPORTED' not stored (i.e. transporting from your house to the hunting grounds, transported from you house to the range). There is nothing there that says it's ok to leave a long arm in your trunk, nor does it imply it.

Very true, good point. But the transporting can be anywhere? Don't know where else you would need to transport.
Top Top