Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/29/2003 11:16:50 AM EDT
Ok I've posted this question to a few of you offline - but I'm hoping to get some more answers.

I recently picked up a Jeep Cherokee and looking to try it out 'off road'.

Remembering I'm a begineer and my Jeep isn't setup with 5" lifters and all the other extream offroad gear. Are there any places in Maryland that you can recommend for some 4 wheeling fun and practice?

Thanks,
Forest
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:25:58 PM EDT
FYI for all those who are looking and not posting - I've found a few places in Garret County (western edge of MD) after doing some searches.

Here are some links of interest:
www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/orv.html

www.4x4icon.com/offroad/index.htm

www.marylandmudbugs.com/

www.marylandcreepers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=df06029699b5ffaa30f7a9152a57802b

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:36:19 PM EDT
Hay man, sorry I didnt reply sooner.

Many of the places I go are closed down or are in Western MD.

IF you get a map of Maryland made by:DeLorme it has very very detailed maos of the stae including "4x4 Jeep Trails"

I have one of these maps if you want to take a look at it sometime whenever you want we could plan a small excursion together or whoever else from the board wants to go offroading.

You can buy these maps at Barnes and Noble fort around $17. They are well worth it for any offroader or somwone that wants a very detailed map. The Maryland map by this company also includes Delaware.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:16:31 AM EDT
IIRC I have a book of Topo's of the state from that company. I'll have to check it for 'jeep trails'.

Small excurisoin would be cool - I'd bet we could even entice F4YR to come along.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:42:14 AM EDT
Here you go Forest, just to keep your mind in an offroading mood. I thought I would share a cool pic of my X:

I would love to get a good group together for some offroading. Its a good SHTF practice that will come in handy.
Just keep me posted or if you need anything tacked here about a meet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:29:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2003 11:30:20 AM EDT by Forest]
Looks Fun! BTW do you worry about getting water in your axles doing that? Is there a way to keep them dry inside - or will the lubricant just keep the insides rust free?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:45:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2003 11:46:39 AM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]

Originally Posted By Forest:
Looks Fun! BTW do you worry about getting water in your axles doing that? Is there a way to keep them dry inside - or will the lubricant just keep the insides rust free?

Well, if you have an SUV that was made to go offroad (not some pussy look a like SUV) you will have snorkels from your front diff.The rear diffs are completly sealed, so no need for a snorkel. If you have a Jeep Cherokee your snorkel goes about as high as your from grill. You may want to double check, they may have changed it since the 96 model Cherokee that I had.

Jeep Wrangler snorkels go all the way up to the hood.

With my Xterra the snorkel went to to the top of the grill but I went and extended the snorkel a little further to my hood.
Top Top