Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 11:16:50 AM EDT
Ok I've posted this question to a few of you offline - but I'm hoping to get some more answers.

I recently picked up a Jeep Cherokee and looking to try it out 'off road'.

Remembering I'm a begineer and my Jeep isn't setup with 5" lifters and all the other extream offroad gear.  Are there any places in Maryland that you can recommend for some 4 wheeling fun and practice?

Thanks,
Forest
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
FYI for all those who are looking and not posting - I've found a few places in Garret County (western edge of MD) after doing some searches.

Here are some links of interest:
www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/orv.html

www.4x4icon.com/offroad/index.htm

www.marylandmudbugs.com/

www.marylandcreepers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=df06029699b5ffaa30f7a9152a57802b

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Hay man, sorry I didnt reply sooner.

Many of the places I go are closed down or are in Western MD.

IF you get a map of Maryland made by:DeLorme it has very very detailed maos of the stae including "4x4 Jeep Trails"

I have one of these maps if you want to take a look at it sometime whenever you want we could plan a small excursion together or whoever else from the board wants to go offroading.

You can buy these maps at Barnes and Noble fort around $17. They are well worth it for any offroader or somwone that wants a very detailed map. The Maryland map by this company also includes Delaware.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC I have a book of Topo's of the state from that company.  I'll have to check it for 'jeep trails'.

Small excurisoin would be cool - I'd bet we could even entice F4YR to come along.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Here you go Forest, just to keep your mind in an offroading mood. I thought I would share a cool pic of my X:

I would love to get a good group together for some offroading. Its a good SHTF practice that will come in handy.
Just keep me posted or if you need anything tacked here about a meet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks Fun!  BTW do you worry about getting water in your axles doing that?  Is there a way to keep them dry inside - or will the lubricant just keep the insides rust free?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks Fun!  BTW do you worry about getting water in your axles doing that?  Is there a way to keep them dry inside - or will the lubricant just keep the insides rust free?

Well, if you have an SUV that was made to go offroad (not some pussy look a like SUV) you will have snorkels from your front diff.The rear diffs are completly sealed, so no need for a snorkel. If you have a Jeep Cherokee your snorkel goes about as high as your from grill. You may want to double check, they may have changed it since the 96 model Cherokee that I had.

Jeep Wrangler snorkels go all the way up to the hood.

With my Xterra the snorkel went to to the top of the grill but I went and extended the snorkel a little further to my hood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top