Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 9:00:07 PM EDT
Could you recommend somewhere I could buy enough land to build a house and shoot on the property?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife and I purchased land (40 acres -/+) in Bracken County for the same purpose.  Land in the county is rolling to steep with lots of ridges. We have about 7 acres of pasture with a very nice home site, the rest being thick steep woods. Land prices seemed very fair (depending on your budget).

County is in the north central part of the state, about 1 hour from Cincinnati and Lexington - less to Maysville and Augusta. If we want to do cultural things we are well within easy driving distance. We have water and electric run back to the property along with a nice secure shipping container for storage. We will start building next years - hopefully to be living there full time in 3-5 years.

I have a 200 yard rifle range and shoot all the time - no one has ever said a word about.

Kentucky is a good state, excellent gun laws and it's been our experience that people are friendly but mind their own business and pretty much leave you alone - which is what we were looking for....
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Throw a dart. Closer to lex the higher land prices are.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
My only suggestion is be wary of Nicholasville. Lots of pillheads.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The wife and I purchased land (40 acres -/+) in Bracken County for the same purpose.  Land in the county is rolling to steep with lots of ridges. We have about 7 acres of pasture with a very nice home site, the rest being thick steep woods. Land prices seemed very fair (depending on your budget).

County is in the north central part of the state, about 1 hour from Cincinnati and Lexington - less to Maysville and Augusta. If we want to do cultural things we are well within easy driving distance. We have water and electric run back to the property along with a nice secure shipping container for storage. We will start building next years - hopefully to be living there full time in 3-5 years.

I have a 200 yard rifle range and shoot all the time - no one has ever said a word about.

Kentucky is a good state, excellent gun laws and it's been our experience that people are friendly but mind their own business and pretty much leave you alone - which is what we were looking for....
View Quote
That sounds really nice.  How far to shopping, hospitals etc.  We're looking for some place to retire so don't want to be too far from hospitals and so forth.  What is the weather like?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to fish and hunt, look south central and west.
The further you stay from Lexington, Cincinnati, and Louisville the cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That sounds really nice.  How far to shopping, hospitals etc.  We're looking for some place to retire so don't want to be too far from hospitals and so forth.  What is the weather like?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

County is in the north central part of the state, about 1 hour from Cincinnati and Lexington - less to Maysville and Augusta. If we want to do cultural things we are well within easy driving distance. We have water and electric run back to the property along with a nice secure shipping container for storage. We will start building next few years - hopefully to be living there full time in 3-5 years.

Our property is about an hour to NKY/downtown Cincinnati and less (+/-30 mins) to Augusta and Maysville (hospital).  "Going to town" for milk and bread etc. I guess would be Falmouth (+/- 20 mins). The weather is decent, not to much snow or bitter cold, can get hot and muggy in the summer.

Negatives we have found so far...... 1. Lack of well water. apparently most of the area is on some type of limestone rock formation not optimal for well drilling - well water stinks and tastes bad so we are limited to county water and/or a cistern (important if you are into the SHTF prepping thing) . 2. soil quality - most of tillable land was used for tobacco production - so the dirt is junk and needs to be worked with for good results ( that's what we are doing now). 3. Finding contractors to work with - everything moves a lot slower and we found we can't just pick up the phone and get 3 bids for a project we can't do..... seems like we have to network and ask around for everything.

But overall the positives greatly out weight the negatives. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Our property is about an hour to NKY/downtown Cincinnati and less (+/-30 mins) to Augusta and Maysville (hospital).  "Going to town" for milk and bread etc. I guess would be Falmouth (+/- 20 mins). The weather is decent, not to much snow or bitter cold, can get hot and muggy in the summer.

Negatives we have found so far...... 1. Lack of well water. apparently most of the area is on some type of limestone rock formation not optimal for well drilling - well water stinks and tastes bad so we are limited to county water and/or a cistern (important if you are into the SHTF prepping thing) . 2. soil quality - most of tillable land was used for tobacco production - so the dirt is junk and needs to be worked with for good results ( that's what we are doing now). 3. Finding contractors to work with - everything moves a lot slower and we found we can't just pick up the phone and get 3 bids for a project we can't do..... seems like we have to network and ask around for everything.

But overall the positives greatly out weight the negatives. Let me know if you have any other questions.
View Quote
You want your projects done to last more than a lifetime? Find a Mennonite company. Maybe something with a name likeYoder Construction, or some such variation. They do quality work,and I doubt they are more expensive than other contractors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Either South Eastern Kentucky, such as within the section of The Daniel Boone National Forest known as the The Red Bird Purchase, or in South Western KY such as around Culvert City in Marshall county.

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My only suggestion is be wary of Nicholasville. Lots of pillheads.
View Quote
Like not just a standard boat load of them, but more so like a cruise ship, especially out in places where you can get enough land to actually shoot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top