Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2014 6:10:05 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'll be attending Thunder for the first time this year, have reservations at the Galt House. Curious if anyone has any recommendations for bars/restaurants nearby. Tips/advice for attending the festivities?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I'll be attending Thunder for the first time this year, have reservations at the Galt House. Curious if anyone has any recommendations for bars/restaurants nearby. Tips/advice for attending the festivities?
View Quote

Reservations at the Galt for Thunder? Congratulations on having "made it" or saved a lot of money! :D

Pack water and snacks. There are vendors there but it can be quite hot and having some water and snacks on hand is a good idea. Packing some rain gear, sunscreen, and "possibles" is a good idea. Just a small day pack is all you should need.

You're staying at the Galt so no driving, good plan. After the show just hang out for 30-45 minutes, no need to fight the crowds. Just chill and watch the smoke disperse and enjoy the river for a bit and then have a nice leisurely stroll to the bar or the hotel. If you pack up and go-go-go right after the show you'll just be ass to elbow with other people. Take it easy and enjoy the night out!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
watch out for the mobs of teens when you go walking through the area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

1) There will be a lot of people on the riverfront.  A lot.  Keep your situational awareness on high.  This isn't to say pickpockets are everywhere, but with that many people, you know the thieves will be out.  Police presence will be in full force.
2) Not to alarm you, but we just had a pretty major string of flash mob attacks not far from where you will be.  I work near the Galt House and generally it is safe.  I've yet to bear witness to any crime in that area and I've worked late downtown.  Again, keep your wits about you.
3) There is an expensive steak house attached to the Galt House Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse.  I've never been there so I cannot review it one way or the other.  There is also a bar called "Down One."  It is a bourbon bar.  Down One Bourbon Bar.  I have also not been here, but I know they have a MASSIVE selection of bourbons.

You will be near a lot of things on Main St.  Further west on Main from your hotel on the opposite side of the street you will find a coffee shop (Heine Brothers), the Evan Williams Bourbon Experience (Bourbon tour/tasting, and worth doing), a typical Mexican restaurant.

Across Main St next to Actor's Theater on the corner of Main and 3rd St. is the BBC (Bluegrass Brewing Company), one of our local microbrews.  They have decent food too.  

Further east on main, after passing the Yum! Center (basketball arena) and crossing 2nd St, you will find other restaurants/bars on both sides of Main St.  Doc Crows has decent BBQ and fresh oysters.  O'Shea's is an Irish pub.

We have a lot of independent (read: non-chain) restaurants in Louisville, even in downtown.  Check this link out to give you an idea of what is nearby  Louisville Hot Bytes.

You may hear about 4th Street Live.  It is easy walking distance.  Personally not my thing due to the kind of crowd it attracts at night (tends to be a little more ghetto fabulous and white trashy, IMO).  During the day, there are good places to eat around there (Maker's Mark Restaurant is fantastic, but $$$).  At the corner of 4th and Liberty (I think), there is a Louisville Visitor's Center, which has some cool information in it about the city and KY.

Also, if you are willing to drive a little out of downtown, you can get to the Baxter Ave. and Bardstown Rd. areas which have a ton of restaurants and bars as well.

PM me if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Bring a gun!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Skip the fireworks downtown and head down
to the Machinegun shoot @Knob Creek.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to Thunder once.......
I NEVER miss Knob Creek MGS.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
nvm
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]
If you've got a view of the show from your room there's no reason to mingle with the crowds.  If you do venture down to the party, I'd suggest staying sober, aware and armed with spare mags.  Likely unnecessary, but I wouldn't chance it with the recent shenanigans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Enjoy the show!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Revue restaurant at the top floor.  It has a rotating dining platform with a great view and the ribs were pretty good.  Also the restaurant that serves the breakfast buffet in the hotel has pretty amazing omelets.  4th street live also isn't bad for fun at night.

As for walking around, like everyone else said keep a gun on you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the great advice!
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think with this crowd he could have been asking about a trip to Mayberry and we'd tell him to pack heat. :D
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think with this crowd he could have been asking about a trip to Mayberry and we'd tell him to pack heat. :D
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Hope it doesn't rain
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hope it doesn't rain  Snow
View Quote
Fixed it for ya

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#16]
That too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top