Site Notices
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AOW stamp is only needed if the firearm is <26" AND has a vertical grip

Also, if you are Form 1ing an AOW, the stamp cost is $200, not $5 like when you buy an AOW direct from an FFL/SOT
View Quote

Yes, and if you're building a new CT other (which is what this thread is about doing) on a new lower, you have to have a vertical grip, which is why you have to have the AOW stamp if you put a folding brace on an other and your length, when folded is less than 26".  I never mentioned the $5 AOW stamp, that's only if you're buying something that's already built as an AOW, and you'll have to wait a lot longer than e-filing a form 1 AOW stamp for $200.

In your situation with a preban pistol lower, you don't need the vertical front grip to build the gun, and you can also use barrels shorter than 12", but a CT "other" cannot be built like that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, and if you're building a new CT other (which is what this thread is about doing) on a new lower, you have to have a vertical grip, which is why you have to have the AOW stamp if you put a folding brace on an other and your length, when folded is less than 26".  I never mentioned the $5 AOW stamp, that's only if you're buying something that's already built as an AOW, and you'll have to wait a lot longer than e-filing a form 1 AOW stamp for $200.

In your situation with a preban pistol lower, you don't need the vertical front grip to build the gun, and you can also use barrels shorter than 12", but a CT "other" cannot be built like that.
View Quote

I was just bringing light to the fact that doing an AOW yourself is a whole different cost expenditure than like when Freedom Shoppe was offering AOWs. Additionally, there is no written part of CT law requiring a vertical grip. The vertical grip is monkey see monkey do. But people can do as they please.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was just bringing light to the fact that doing an AOW yourself is a whole different cost expenditure than like when Freedom Shoppe was offering AOWs. Additionally, there is no written part of CT law requiring a vertical grip. The vertical grip is monkey see monkey do. But people can do as they please.
View Quote

Yeah, I've struggled to find anything written anywhere requiring the vertical grip, but it certainly does seem generally accepted to have it...it doesn't bug me to have it (I have one on my preban SBR because I like having it).

A TAC-14 or Shockwave is technically the same classification right?  Nobody puts VFG's on them to sell them in CT.

Red Planet builds AOW's that you can order with a $5 stamp...you just have to wait however long it takes for that to be approved by the ATF.  Probably just as long as buying a silencer?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've struggled to find anything written anywhere requiring the vertical grip, but it certainly does seem generally accepted to have it...it doesn't bug me to have it (I have one on my preban SBR because I like having it).

A TAC-14 or Shockwave is technically the same classification right?  Nobody puts VFG's on them to sell them in CT.

Red Planet builds AOW's that you can order with a $5 stamp...you just have to wait however long it takes for that to be approved by the ATF.  Probably just as long as buying a silencer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get it I like the Tac-14 point. Quick, delete the thread! Lol

I wish Dan was here to show us his anatomically ergonomic vertical grip

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Incorrect, unless the piston design uses some sort of captured buffer system in the upper and a non-traditonal BCG they require a standard AR buffer system. I personally have a Taiwanese T91 12.5" upper on a pre-ban pistol lower. In order to have a no buffer tube and normal functionality you'd need something like a MCX upper and pic rail stock/brace adapter ($$$$$ but very nice), or if you want a shorter buffer tube, there are kits from the likes of Deadfoot (also $$$$) but I don't see the allure there.

I did something a little unique and hard to notice. I used the LWRC UCIW compact buffer system and modified the SBa3 to fit (cut it shorter) the tube. Took about an inch off compared to a regular carbine setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401569/IMG_20181001_120706-01-689221.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I correct that using a piston driven upper shortens the overall legal length in an other build since the buffer tube is not necessary  ? Was looking at the wolf piston 12.5" 556 uppers that century just got in.
Incorrect, unless the piston design uses some sort of captured buffer system in the upper and a non-traditonal BCG they require a standard AR buffer system. I personally have a Taiwanese T91 12.5" upper on a pre-ban pistol lower. In order to have a no buffer tube and normal functionality you'd need something like a MCX upper and pic rail stock/brace adapter ($$$$$ but very nice), or if you want a shorter buffer tube, there are kits from the likes of Deadfoot (also $$$$) but I don't see the allure there.

I did something a little unique and hard to notice. I used the LWRC UCIW compact buffer system and modified the SBa3 to fit (cut it shorter) the tube. Took about an inch off compared to a regular carbine setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401569/IMG_20181001_120706-01-689221.jpg

That looks very nice and have a pistol receiver that is waiting. The question was for my cousins other build. Thank You
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Good news- it only took 5months for a form 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice I got stuff in atf jail
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow that's nuts.  Last time I did a couple cans it was like 13 months.

I have a couple more down at the dealer I haven't submitted yet.  Was going to stop down this week or next week and do it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that individual or trust?  I'm going on 8 months right now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone done a 10/22 charger other?

Thinking something like a 500 Shockwave but actually enjoyable to shoot
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got a stamp back in 68 days. There seems to be zero consistency.

ETA: Form 4 can.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just got a stamp back in 68 days. There seems to be zero consistency.

ETA: Form 4 can.
View Quote

Trust or individual?

Wow, I wonder if I should call Delta and see if my stamp is sitting there.  Or maybe call the ATF branch for an update?  (I haven't called once this time around)

I don't even know which ATF branch to call anymore.  It's been a while between form 4 submissions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Trust or individual?

Wow, I wonder if I should call Delta and see if my stamp is sitting there.  Or maybe call the ATF branch for an update?  (I haven't called once this time around)

I don't even know which ATF branch to call anymore.  It's been a while between form 4 submissions.
View Quote

Individual
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Individual
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They make Shockwaves in 20ga.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes- I used one for sbs
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#17]
That's what I thought.  I'll just keep twirling my thumbs.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#18]
How many of you doing 80%'rs for your others?
Have you used the state's new form?

Asking for a friend, seriously.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes- I used one for sbs
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222795/78DFB6F9-6116-49DE-BE06-54DFFA218B1B_jpe-1380410.JPG

That’s pretty awesome.  Needs a +1 extension to be perfect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That’s pretty awesome.  Needs a +1 extension to be perfect.
View Quote

I was unable to find a +1 mag extension for the 20ga so i will cut the barrel flush in the future
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are u really comparing the recoil of a 22 with that of a 20ga.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#22]

I really want to do a 20ga SBS. Been eyeing up a Model 11 at my LGS. Good price and the owner has always been good w/ me on trades.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a model 11 sbs- it’s cool but is such an outdated system. It’s not tons of fun to shoot but that’s just my opinion. I would like a semi 20 ga to sbs
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted: It’s not tons of fun to shoot but that’s just my opinion.
View Quote

For what reasons?
Jamming, recoil, gas?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For what reasons?
Jamming, recoil, gas?
View Quote

Recoil. The gun also tends to beat itself and the user up- cracked for grips are common ant that is from the gun beating itself up

More than likely the gun needs to be serviced and a part replaced- that would fix the fore grip issue. I don’t care for the recoil
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#26]
@nutter
Thx. I did a bunch of reading on it, because I had an opportunity to get an older (great shape) Browning A5 12ga, for free. Everyone said the Model 11 had a better recoil system and didn't get beat-up and I figured the 20ga would also be quieter and funner to shoot SBS. Hence, why I was going down that path. Plus, the SBS look, of either of those, is just cool. But, you're saying the Mossberg is just better, overall?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I think an A5 in 20 would be awesome. Hell I say do both. I was just stating my opinions on the guns. If you have an A5- do it. If you want a model 11 - do it. Build em all , this is Murcia

As a side note- I am not a big shotgun guy
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. You mentioned that a Shockwave in 12ga is unpleasant for you to shoot.
I recommended the 20ga variant thinking you might like it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Recoil. The gun also tends to beat itself and the user up- cracked for grips are common ant that is from the gun beating itself up

More than likely the gun needs to be serviced and a part replaced- that would fix the fore grip issue. I don't care for the recoil
View Quote
I loved the recoil It was like the HBCC of shotguns
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top