Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2017 9:39:50 AM EDT
I am very disappointed in the NRA's willingness to ban bump fire stocks. I am against any and all restrictions on our rights. The fact the NRA seems to have sold us out is upsetting. I am sure they are calling for a reclassification vs. new laws.

Keep a close eye on proposals running through Congress. Feinstein's proposal will effectively ban all parts. Buffer springs, Geiselle triggers, heavy buffers, muzzle brakes, flash hiders, etc. will all be a no no under her proposal.

We need to write our congressman and keep pushing even though we have no chance of our idiots voting no.

Interesting how we had three incidents of mass shooting just prior to a vote on the SHARE act. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The NRA is under a new president (Brownell).  I think they are playing the long game.  We will see.  

NRA is not saying ban them.  They are saying send it to ATF.  They are also suggesting trading for national reciprocity.

If there is a bill produced that says NFA bump stocks, but only if national reciprocity and authority violating is subject to prosecution I would be on board 100%
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am very disappointed in the NRA's willingness to ban bump fire stocks. I am against any and all restrictions on our rights. The fact the NRA seems to have sold us out is upsetting. I am sure they are calling for a reclassification vs. new laws.

Keep a close eye on proposals running through Congress. Feinstein's proposal will effectively ban all parts. Buffer springs, Geiselle triggers, heavy buffers, muzzle brakes, flash hiders, etc. will all be a no no under her proposal.

We need to write our congressman and keep pushing even though we have no chance of our idiots voting no.

Interesting how we had three incidents of mass shooting just prior to a vote on the SHARE act. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences.
View Quote

feinstein is out of her mind as usual. her bills never make it to the floor and i doubt this will either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The full NRA statement:

In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented.  Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control.  Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks.  This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world.  In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.  The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.  In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities.  To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence.
View Quote
I see it as a mixed bag. On one hand the NRA is saying the ATF should review the devices to see if they comply with federal law. The devices do not, technically, change a semiautomatic firearm into a full automatic firearm, the firearm is still semiautomatic. On the other hand the NRA feels that such devices should be subject to additional regulations.

I love that they point out that it was Obama's ATF that approved the sale of these devices.

Frankly I wish the NRA had just kept their mouth shut and not say anything and let people's emotions run their course as they always do after these kinds of events once more information comes out. But I also understand why they'd make the statement they made in hopes of "getting in front of the story".

Chances of banning the devices at the national level is a coin flip. CT banning them is almost a certainty since it's low hanging fruit for the usual gun grabbers in the legislature. You can bet the usual RINO's will "cross the isle" just as they did on 4/4/13 to help Dem's pass a ban here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The NRA is under a new president (Brownell).  I think they are playing the long game.  We will see.  

NRA is not saying ban them.  They are saying send it to ATF.  They are also suggesting trading for national reciprocity.

If there is a bill produced that says NFA bump stocks, but only if national reciprocity and authority violating is subject to prosecution I would be on board 100%
View Quote
That is wishful thinking at best. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining Perrier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I would encourage you all to contact your local range or range that you are a member of and ask if they are looking into affiliating with a different organization than the NRA in light of the NRA requesting additional regulation. I have already done so with the range I am a member of. Post up the responses here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been thinking of raising this question at my club's next meeting.  A NRA membership is required to be a member of the club.  I'm interested what our board has to say about the NRA's new position on 2nd amendment.

Quoted:
I would encourage you all to contact your local range or range that you are a member of and ask if they are looking into affiliating with a different organization than the NRA in light of the NRA requesting additional regulation. I have already done so with the range I am a member of. Post up the responses here.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Most clubs require membership in the NRA because the range's insurance is through the NRA. That is unlikely to change.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most clubs require membership in the NRA because the range's insurance is through the NRA. That is unlikely to change.
View Quote
There is cheaper insurance available through many carriers. Additionally, the NRA is not the actual insurer. You can bypass the NRA and apply directly to the carrier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]
My range is full of fudds. Muh skeet shooting is all they care about
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My range is full of fudds. Muh skeet shooting is all they care about
View Quote
Pretty much this^

I get dudes asking why in the hell would I bring an AR or AK to the range with all the "negativity around them" practically every time I go out.

Damn I need my own range
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I've only seen a couple guys at the Andover range shooting something other than an AR.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I've only seen a couple guys at the Andover range shooting something other than an AR.
View Quote
I spend most my days at Blue Trail.  Fudd central
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Blue Trails back before the lawsuit was a happening place. Now it is over priced and a dump.

They used to have a terrific store, good prices, and huge selection.

Too bad the Lymans can't scrape some dough to pretty up the place and sell memberships for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is wishful thinking at best. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining Perrier.
View Quote
Many said Trump would not be nominated nor elected.  I held fast to the hope, because I knew Cruz could not be president, and Bush would be crushed by Clinton.  Many told me I was living in fantasy land, but Trump was elected.  Our only other choice was Clinton which would have meant the final collapse of America as I knew it.

Don't lose faith this early!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Many said Trump would not be nominated nor elected.  I held fast to the hope, because I knew Cruz could not be president, and Bush would be crushed by Clinton.  Many told me I was living in fantasy land, but Trump was elected.  Our only other choice was Clinton which would have meant the final collapse of America as I knew it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not convinced gun control will pass. However I don't think the NRA could use gun control as a trade for silencers or national carry. They opened their mouth too early, especially before finding motive in the LV shooting. Every time compromise happens, IMO it's not worth it. Machine guns got banned. Oh cool we got FOPA and mail order ammo. Wait some states ignore FOPA and ban non FTF purchases.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
My life membership card has no expiration so I'm fine with SSA.  They will never get another dime.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#17]
You've lived in CT how long, and you think the NRA sold us out just now?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You've lived in CT how long, and you think the NRA sold us out just now?
View Quote
What do you think the NRA could have done in 2013?  The legislature didn't give a shit about gun owners.  They were going to pass SB-1160 regardless of any protests or NRA involvement.

I'm not defending the NRA.  Until 2012 I had been away from NRA for over 20 years.

I wish people would just wait a few weeks/months and see what happens before trashing the NRA.  If they fuck us then fuck them back, but not now.  People freaking out and trashing the NRA now remind me of the "we gotta do something now" mentality of the gun grabbers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What do you think the NRA could have done in 2013?  The legislature didn't give a shit about gun owners.  They were going to pass SB-1160 regardless of any protests or NRA involvement.

I'm not defending the NRA.  Until 2012 I had been away from NRA for over 20 years.

I wish people would just wait a few weeks/months and see what happens before trashing the NRA.  If they fuck us then fuck them back, but not now.  People freaking out and trashing the NRA now remind me of the "we gotta do something now" mentality of the gun grabbers.
View Quote
2013?? How about 2004? If it wasn't for the fact that all 3 of the gun clubs I belong to mandate an NRA membership, I would not be a member.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

2013?? How about 2004? If it wasn't for the fact that all 3 of the gun clubs I belong to mandate an NRA membership, I would not be a member.
View Quote
What about 2004?

I don't belong to any clubs.  I shoot on private land.  I will reserve judgement and not behave like the "we gotta do something NOW" gun grabbers.  Meanwhile I remain an NRA member.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Nobody sold anybody out!
You don't always agree with your friends yet they still remain your friends! Just the same,your enemies still remain to be your enemies.... correct?

With emoticon/emoji
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#22]
The bottom is that the ATF filed a determination letter back in '12, regarding the legality of bump stocks. Wtf does the NRA want the ATF to look at? Instead of asking for a review (pretty much nutters satirical version of letter writing), why not simply state the facts; it's a legal, semi-auto firearm with a legal device for increasing cyclic rate. Blow their minds with terms they've yet heard.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The bottom is that the ATF filed a determination letter back in '12, regarding the legality of bump stocks. Wtf does the NRA want the ATF to look at? Instead of asking for a review (pretty much nutters satirical version of letter writing), why not simply state the facts; it's a legal, semi-auto firearm with a legal device for increasing cyclic rate. Blow their minds with terms they've yet heard.
View Quote
And?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And?
View Quote
And what?

State the facts and be the f* out. Let the cry baby, liberal snowflakes drown in their own tears. Right now isn't the time to see who can shout the loudest. Be supportive of  the victims and deflect from the gun agenda.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I hope the bumps go away in exchange for national carry. I'll take that.

Yea I know...2A.   But give them idiots a fucking stupid invention for something that can really benefit us.

We'll see how this turns out.

We shouldn't have to give them anything but, I like the deal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nobody sold anybody out!
You don't always agree with your friends yet they still remain your friends! Just the same,your enemies still remain to be your enemies.... correct?

With emoticon/emoji
View Quote
+1

NRA didn't sell anyone out, they acknowledged something with no firm stance against what libs where going after. First smart play from them in a very hard fight. This is one of the worst we've seen and I think they did well. Nothing was said except "the ATF should review". I think this was a master diversion when all talk is about them. Now they support media bs to some degree, but nothing happens, or maybe we lose bump stocks (which are lame anyways) and see nothing else change. I'm all for no change, but we need to play into some of these drives to not lose more ground on important things.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
NRA didn't sell anyone out, they acknowledged something with no firm stance against what libs where going after.
View Quote
They did take a firm stance in some respects by stating: "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

The NRA flat out stated stated that they are OK with additional regulation on the 2nd Amendment, in this case a firearm part/device.

I get the feeling that the NRA was trying to play both sides of the fence here. That there is probably an internal conflict (just as there is on the various firearm boards) over bump stocks/slide fire/gat cranks. Most non gun people don't understand, and won't care. They are emotionally driven by the shooting and won't understand or care about the technicalities of what the devices do to the firearm. The usual politicians are doing what they always do in these situations, standing on the dead so they can push a political narrative (ban guns incrementally).
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#29]
John, I get what you, jgreen, and some others are saying. I'm not a huge proponent of bump stocks. Sure, I've bump fired, but that was a playing around sort of thing. The issue I have is that they won't stop with that product. Feinstein's bill calls for the ban of ALL devices which allow a increased semi-auto rate of fire. If I dial the Timney trigger, on my 18"SPR, far enough, I can get an extremely fast ROF (not full-auto). The bill would most likely deem my trigger verboten, because of the LV asshat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Without the NRA- guns would have disappeared a long long time ago!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone think states will respect natinal reciprocity?

They don't respect fopa
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#32]
The NRA has done good for gun owners. In this case they were way too hasty to come out with a position. Their position was to have the ATF reclassify bump stocks. I realize their plan is to get the ATF to change their position rather than support any legislation.

I get the whole political positioning and ploy. I personally feel the NRA should have kept quiet and let the dust settle and people's emotions calm. Instead they came out with a stance that is against gun owners and now are trying to back pedal and spin their stance on talk shows.

I don't own or care to own a bump stock. However, I believe they should be allowed. Bump firing is a technique and any semi auto is capable of it. The bump stock just makes it easier to do. If you want to prevent bump firing than all semi auto firearms will need to be banned. This is the goal of the left.

The left wants to ban all firearms and is willing to play the long game. They will ban one thing at a time.

Supporting a ban on bump stocks because you think they are stupid or lame is no different than when Fudds say they don't care if black rifles are banned because they don't like them.

The only ban I will support is a ban on single shot guns and guns with capacities of less than 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They don't respect fopa
View Quote
Depending on the national reciprocity bill there may be language that allows the person arrested to file a monetary suit against those who arrested them. All it will take is a few large payouts for violating national reciprocity and (I would hope/think) local jurisdictions would take a pause before continuing to ignore or abuse the law. But who knows, its only tax payer money they'd be paying out for violating the law.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They don't respect fopa
View Quote
If this was the case, Obama care wouldn't be accepted in some states.   But the way it was worded and how it was done dictated everything.

If it is worded right, spelled out, all 50 will accept it.

And what state doesn't accept fopa? It's a federal law. They have to, whether you get s knowledgeable cop, or you have to take it to court. Another thing is to never mention anything, have camo, ammo, etc hidden from view out of sight out of mind.  Are you referencing mass? fopa doesn't protect you while you stop and go shopping but only while PASSING THROUGH.  You can stop and piss, get gas, but you can't stop at a buddies, bar, mall etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#35]
people who are pissed and say the NRA sold us out are 100% correct..............  if it wasn't...the NRA would not be back peddling at the speed of sound.  They know they fucked up and should apologize publicly to its members. We are the people that let wayne and all the other workers get thier almost million $$ salaries, without us doing that...... most likely they would be lobbyists for tobacco or dildo companies.

Wayne and mr cocks should think about stepping down, And people really need to re-think who they vote for next time these pricks post on these forums begging for you vote in the nra ranks. they begged and pleaded oh...vote for me, and then ignored everyone once this bullshit statement was released by the nra.  These people who work for the NRA are just as big as backstabbers as these pricks in congress are....cant trust either .......

the only ban I support is banning these idiots from being a lifer in congress   TERM LIMITS    TERM LIMITS........

STOP BACKPEDDLING "NRA"  AND RELEASE A STATEMENT SAYING " WE AND ITS NRA MEMBERS, SAY FUCK YOU ON ANY BAN" like their old slogan           "  NO COMPROMISE"
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sticking with NRA until this situation is over, then I will reevaluate my membership.  

NRA is doing redirect which could work out.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#37]
My life member card is still in my wallet
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What about 2004?

I don't belong to any clubs.  I shoot on private land.  I will reserve judgement and not behave like the "we gotta do something NOW" gun grabbers.  Meanwhile I remain an NRA member.
View Quote
2004 was the end of the national AWB, while CT upheld the ban. I felt the NRA could have done more on our behalf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top