Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2011 5:57:06 AM EDT
Is it legal to ship ammo to a private citizen in MA?  My google-fu yields conflicting results. Wondering what the consensus is here?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it legal to ship ammo to a private citizen in MA?  My google-fu yields conflicting results. Wondering what the consensus is here?

Massachusetts law ends at the state line. The buyer takes title F.O.B. shipping point. Can they have a law on the books claiming it is illegal for you to ship there? Yes. Is that law enforceable outside of there? No.
These are not opinions, they are facts.

I agree; however, who wants to get sued in a foreign jurisdiction?  Not I . . .

Sued by whom and for what? OP is a Florida resident and and not subject to MA law unless he is in MA. What you are claiming is analagous to the OP getting a speeding ticket from MA for 35 in a 25 in Dade County. How does that work?

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Massachusetts law ends at the state line. The buyer takes title F.O.B. shipping point. Can they have a law on the books claiming it is illegal for you to ship there? Yes. Is that law enforceable outside of there? No.

Sued by whom and for what? OP is a Florida resident and and not subject to MA law unless he is in MA. What you are claiming is analagous to the OP getting a speeding ticket from MA for 35 in a 25 in Dade County. How does that work?

Sued by the MA Attorney General.  Rumor has it that some companies were "sued" to some degree several years ago, I read that Ammoman was one in particular.  So of course Ammoman will not ship to MA.  Who knows if they actually had to pay any fines or if it was more of cease and desist order or else.   Again, there are some companies who will ship and when I called to ask if they would, the reply was "Why wouldn't we".

I too have googled the shit out of the topic and can't actually find any law on the books that its "illegal" to ship to MA but apparently, if the MA AG's office finds out your shipping ammo to directly to residences and wants to make an example of you, then civilly, I guess they can come after you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Technically it is illegal for the shipper to send ammunition to a residence in MA.  So they could/would face penalties, fines most likely.  Where or not the recipient could get in trouble as well is still kind of gray.  There are several companies and ammo distributors that will ship directly to you.  And a bunch that won't.  Some will ship it to a gun store for you to pick up.  It sucks when companies like Wideners, Cabelas, and Palmetto State Armory have great deals on ammo because they won't ship here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Plenty of places will ship ammo into MA.  I speak from personal experience before I finally moved north to NH.   If you're not having any luck, hit gunbroker.  Individuals ship ammo all the time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

grey area.

The AG enjoys threatening companies who ship ammo to MA residents with legal action, even though the extremely vaguely written laws do not explicitly ban out of state shipments. Many companies refuse to ship to MA for this reason. However, there are other companies and lots of people who have no problem shipping ammo to MA residents.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
It is illegal to ship to Mass, however one can buy ammunition out of the state like in CT and drive it accross the state line. I go to Cabelas all the time to purchase it and drive home.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Any MASS resident can come to ME, RI, VT, NH, or CT and buy all the ammo he can load in his car and drive it home.  A buddy might even have 'overbought' from one of the national suppliers and would be willing to sell to you at that price. The same, I would think, would go for ammo you own even out of state.  It's a private purchase.  Does the law address private purchases out of state between "friends"?

Rome
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any MASS resident can come to ME, RI, VT, NH, or CT and buy all the ammo he can load in his car and drive it home.  A buddy might even have 'overbought' from one of the national suppliers and would be willing to sell to you at that price. The same, I would think, would go for ammo you own even out of state.  It's a private purchase.  Does the law address private purchases out of state between "friends"?

Rome

As previously stated, there are companies that will ship ammo to MA residents (not many, but a few).

The issue with buying in bulk across the state line and driving home is the MA "sales & use tax." The state tried to enforce this with alcohol purchased in NH several years ago. There is the possibility that the state could require you to pay the tax on any ammo bought out of state.

We are only one step ahead of Russia or China here. The state wants to control everything and redistribute any wealth left over to the folks who don't want to work so they can pump out more welfare babies who will vote for more welfare funding when they grow up.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#11]
NRA says it is legal to mail order ammo in MA: http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/ammoinfo.html

What has happened in the past is that the MA AG has gone after a number of mailorder places that shipped ammo here and threatened legal action, and thereby essentially forced a number of companies into signing agreements that they would no longer sell into MA and making them pay fines. If you think about it, fighting an anti-gun state government is a good way to go broke, so most places caved. I have watched this unfold and have spoken with someone who this happened to (a mail order place).

For this reason, anyone who knows a company that will still ship here is very tight-lipped.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
There are several places that routinely ship ammo (and gun parts) to Mass and some that won't even speak to you about it. There is nothing that legally stops a company from sending ammo or gun parts to Mass as long as the reciever is lawfully allowed to recieve and posses those items. Either a verbal or written statement from the reciever will suffice under the law. Those businesses that don't do so are merely losing business....and they are knuckling under to the anti's and liberals....<><....:)
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Plenty of places will ship ammo into MA.  I speak from personal experience before I finally moved north to NH.   If you're not having any luck, hit gunbroker.  Individuals ship ammo all the time.

PLEASE...

Do not post the names of these companies in the public forum. There are only a few out there and I'm sure the AG's office patrols forums like this to help their cause.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PLEASE...

Do not post the names of these companies in the public forum. There are only a few out there and I'm sure the AG's office patrols forums like this to help their cause.

Thank you!

Not only do the cretins in the MA AG's office browse forums, but there is at least one MA gun shop that has a history of turning in places that send mail order to MA residents and then bragging about it. That place is Northeast Trading Company in North Attleboro. I will not give that swine another penny, and I urge all MA residents to avoid them as well.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

PLEASE...

Thank you!

Not only do the cretins in the MA AG's office browse forums, but there is at least one MA gun shop that has a history of turning in places that send mail order to MA residents and then bragging about it. That place is Northeast Trading Company in North Attleboro. I will not give that swine another penny, and I urge all MA residents to avoid them as well.

Thank you for posting that.  I haven't been to a gun show in a few years, but I do remember seeing them there.  I'll make sure everyone knows not to give them a penny.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top