Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 7:39:26 AM EDT
I've posted the HRSA Range Rules to clarify any potential misconceptions about the range or its use.  This facility is leased from the State of Connecticut so some rules (like exploding targets) are stipulated in the lease.  Generally, if you demonstrate the safe handling and use of your firearm, the range officers will not be a problem.  While some RSOs may be a bit tougher, the rules are posted for consistent application no matter which RSOs are on duty.  All in all, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal, unless you own land and can freely shoot on your own property.

High Rock Shooting Association Range Rules

Safety
Maintaining a safe environment at ALL TIMES is our first priority!
Firearms brought onto the range must be holstered, cased, or with actions open.
Firearm muzzles must be pointed down range at ALL TIMES.
Eye and Ear protection is mandatory for all shooters.
No full automatic or tri-burst type devices are permitted at the H.R.S.A. range.
Rapid semi-automatic fire is permitted in a controlled fashion only – firing from the shoulder is suggested.
There is NO handling of firearms allowed during a “Cease Fire”.
Shooters may proceed down range only through the center aisle.
Children under the age of 16 must be supervised by an accompanying adult at all times.

Targets
No targets shall be placed over target frames.
No Glass, Ceramic, Stone, Aerial or Exploding targets are permitted at the H.R.S.A. range.
Metal targets may be used, but no thicker than 3/8 inch and no closer than 25 yards.
All metal targets must be suspended and reactive, excepting metal targets at 100 yards.
Stuffed animals may not be used as targets.
No photos or other representations of real people or personalities are allowed at H.R.S.A. range.
All target materials brought to the range by shooters must be removed from H.R.S.A. after use.
All targets must be placed no further than the base of the berm down range (100 yards).
All targets must be at least 18 inches above the ground during regular range hours.

Fees/General Rules
Fees are $5.00 per shooter for the first hour, or any part thereof, and $1.00 per shooter for each quarter hour thereafter.  Payment is to be made at the end of the shooting session.
Positive photo identification is required for all shooters.
A valid CT Pistol Permit is required to use handguns at the H.R.S.A. range.
Supervised children, under the age of 16, shoot for free.
Active military with current, active ID, armed guards with current blue card, corrections officers with current carry permit, police officers and other law enforcement officers with valid ID shoot for one hour FREE.
Magazines may be reloaded during a “cease fire” from behind the yellow line.
No alcoholic beverages or other intoxicants are permitted at the H.R.S.A. range.
No smoking is permitted under the covered area.
Shooters are asked to curtail the use of vulgar language.
Shotguns are allowed for “patterning” and slug sighting in.

Per Racer934 request
When members of the public arrive with coffee, bring enough for the Range Officers
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Those are pretty much a carbon copy of the rules for a ranghe in pittsburgh I used to go too, the only exception are that you charge but DO allow steel targets.  A trade off that is very much welcome in my eyes.  I'll pay to use a quality range.

Anyway, it sound like a blast to me.  One of these weekeneds I'll stray away from work and get up there.

Thanks for the post though, I really doubt I could find a better range.  Also, I'm glad to see I can pattern my shotgun there.  Can you patterns with both birdshot and buck shot there?  or just birdshot?  Also, are do these rules also apply for the range in Naugatuck?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, these are the rules for the range in Naugatuck.  Patterning is typically allowed as the spring/fall hunting seasons approach.  We like to see the bird targets centered on the cardboard so as not to blow the wooden target frames to pieces.  Individual RSOs may be more stringent.  When I am on duty, if you are showing safe shooting behavior and are not blowing the HRSA target frames to pieces, you can pattern your gun all day.  If you want to bring your own frame and cardboard and blow it apart, that's fine, as long as you haul the debris home.  

When the range is more crowded with your neighbor's target close to yours, we tend to be more restrictive since we don't want you blowing apart your neighbor's target.  When in doubt, ASK the RSO BEFORE you shoot.  Again, as long as you're safe, you'll find most of our RSOs to be flexible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Understandable.  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ken - When will the rules reflect that if a member of the shooting public arrives to shoot and they are drinking coffee, they must bring enough for the ROs?  I didn't see it in the addendum.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Manditory reading Here!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, VLODPG, you have provided a very valuable service.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Manditory reading Here!

Your best bet is the one on Rubber ave , The coffee is usually fresher as, except of New Haven Rd those are all gas station stores and the coffee usually isn't as good.

GOD , I miss Dunkin Donuts, Nearest one is 200 miles from here
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top