Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 4:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 2:09:50 PM EDT by oubeta]
Just a reminder the online applications will be online any day now. Don't forget to putin your your Elk (bull) hunt!!

www.wildlifedepartment.com/controlhunt.htm
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:05:05 PM EDT
I'll buy a powerball ticket.....I think there is a better chance!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:13:51 PM EDT
I went on it last year and there were several guys there who put in for only one year, then again the median was about 5-20 years or so. Your chances get better every year. Sooner or later you will get drawn.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:14:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By patrickcudd:
I'll buy a powerball ticket.....I think there is a better chance!

I've been putting in for the elk hunts for over 30 years now! NOT ONCE have I been drawn for it!
But I have drawn McAlester for bow hunting several times over the years - once even for shotgun hunting. Had lots of good luck there, too!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
How is the McAlester hunt? Is it worth going out and buying a recurv for?
I didn't know they offered gun hunts there
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:50 PM EDT
I got drawn for deer at Wichita Mountains NWR twice now; once in '95 and again last fall. Killed a nice 7-point buck in '95 and killed a big doe the last time (110 pounds).

I'm afraid Wichita Mountains has just about achieved their 1:1 buck to doe ratio. Finding a doe last year was a little more difficult than it should have been. Saw LOTS of bucks, LOTS of NICE bucks, but very few does. I managed to kill my deer within an hour of sunrise, but the big successes that everyone had in '95 (about 84%) weren't to be had this time. At least not for antlerless hunters.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:00:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oubeta:
How is the McAlester hunt? Is it worth going out and buying a recurv for?
I didn't know they offered gun hunts there

You mean you hunt with one of them new fangled compound bows with all the stuff hanging on it?
yeah, it's worth buying a recurve. That is all I bow hunted with for the last few years until I had both shoulders cut. McAlester had a shotgun only hunt at the end of bow season, first of gun season. It's been awhile since I applied for it so I can't tell you for sure if they still do.
My compound bow is a Jennings Split T - probably older than you, Z! I put it up and started hunting with a take down Martin-Hatfield recurve. One of these days I'll tell you about a shot I made with that bow that still has my son shaking his head in disbelief! He saw it and still can't believe I did it!
At McAlester Ammunition Depot, all you have to sit is sit down and a deer will come by shortly! There that thick! Including fallow deer!
Story is they have several Bigfoot critters there too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:47:25 PM EDT
I drew into the antelope hunt a few years back. That was a good time.
Can't get drawn again for another 5 years.
I'll throw in another app for the elk hunt but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:30:06 PM EDT
ONLINE NOW
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:05:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oubeta:
ONLINE NOW

Great.....I just wasted another $5
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
I put in for the Elk and the gun hunts st the salt plains
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:19:16 PM EDT
Thanks for the heads up!
Top Top