Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 4:19:42 PM EDT
Just a reminder the online applications will be online any day now.  Don't forget to putin your your Elk (bull) hunt!!

www.wildlifedepartment.com/controlhunt.htm
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll buy a powerball ticket.....I think there is a better chance!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I went on it last year and there were several guys there who put in for only one year, then again the median was about 5-20 years or so. Your chances get better every year. Sooner or later you will get drawn.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'll buy a powerball ticket.....I think there is a better chance!

I've been putting in for the elk hunts for over 30 years now! NOT ONCE have I been drawn for it!
But I have drawn McAlester for bow hunting several times over the years - once even for shotgun hunting. Had lots of good luck there, too!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
How is the McAlester hunt? Is it worth going out and buying a recurv for?
I didn't know they offered gun hunts there
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I got drawn for deer at Wichita Mountains NWR twice now; once in '95 and again last fall. Killed a nice 7-point buck in '95 and killed a big doe the last time (110 pounds).

I'm afraid Wichita Mountains has just about achieved their 1:1 buck to doe ratio. Finding a doe last year was a little more difficult than it should have been. Saw LOTS of bucks, LOTS of NICE bucks, but very few does. I managed to kill my deer within an hour of sunrise, but the big successes that everyone had in '95 (about 84%) weren't to be had this time. At least not for antlerless hunters.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How is the McAlester hunt? Is it worth going out and buying a recurv for?
I didn't know they offered gun hunts there

You mean you hunt with one of them new fangled compound bows with all the stuff hanging on it?
yeah, it's worth buying a recurve. That is all I bow hunted with for the last few years until I had both shoulders cut. McAlester had a shotgun only hunt at the end of bow season, first of gun season. It's been awhile since I applied for it so I can't tell you for sure if they still do.
My compound bow is a Jennings Split T - probably older than you, Z! I put it up and started hunting with a take down Martin-Hatfield recurve. One of these days I'll tell you about a shot I made with that bow that still has my son shaking his head in disbelief! He saw it and still can't believe I did it!
At McAlester Ammunition Depot, all you have to sit is sit down and a deer will come by shortly! There that thick! Including fallow deer!
Story is they have several Bigfoot critters there too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I drew into the antelope hunt a few years back. That was a good time.
Can't get drawn again for another 5 years.
I'll throw in another app for the elk hunt but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
ONLINE NOW
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ONLINE NOW

Great.....I just wasted another $5
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I put in for the Elk and the gun hunts st the salt plains
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top