Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:07:33 PM EDT
with all the wine..ing going on lately

i thought i'd do a little myself..... well i was refinishing one of my ar's today (read custom okieflage)
with norrels...... and my dang airbrush took a dump on me....... so now it looks somewhat  like crap..
...... but it still looks better than that dull old black

in conclusion i'm not sure but i think someone sabotaged my airbrush and i'm not going to name names cause that aint what I do...... but i got my cop buddy JoshL ....looking into this whole thing

and somebodys gonna get the boot  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
now that you got some experiance with that stuff, how do you like it?
and how well do you think it'd work on a revolver, I got one thats got rust pits all over it, and I'd like to sand blast it and use some type of paint to fill in the pits, I don't think it'd hold up to any close scrutiny if I reblued it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me know how that airbrush works out, I 've thought about getting an inexpensive one, since I wouldn't use it much. I want to camo mine too not that black isn't beautiful. How much you charge to paint it for me?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Let's see some pics of finished products.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
now that you got some experiance with that stuff, how do you like it?
and how well do you think it'd work on a revolver, I got one thats got rust pits all over it, and I'd like to sand blast it and use some type of paint to fill in the pits, I don't think it'd hold up to any close scrutiny if I reblued it.

well it won't fill in pits plain and simple this stuff goes on thin ...... but it is durable and if you sandblast it prep it like your suposed to it should be a pretty decent finish but it's not going to look blued unless you get something different than what i've got.....

1dreamer

Let me know how that airbrush works out, I 've thought about getting an inexpensive one, since I wouldn't use it much. I want to camo mine too not that black isn't beautiful. How much you charge to paint it for me?

when the airbrush is working it does just fine .... mine went tits up yesterday when i was about 3/4 of the way done ........it was a super cheapy that came free with some airtools i bought.....
as far as charging someone to do it no thanks......... enough people want to kick my ass without me
fucking up  their rifles ..... if anyone wanted to buy some  moly resin i would try to make them a deal.... I bought a lot ...... black is boring i've had evil BR's for years i like the new evil okieflage rifles......

DrBaker

Let's see some pics of finished products.

ask and ye shall receive....

this pistol was in fairly bad shape lots of surface rust bla bla etc etc..... has been used and abused
......... i did it first........

this is my varmint ar......  I like this pattern myself ...... seems to go pretty well as dry as it's been lately.....

i havent taken pics of the unfinished one but it's  the same base coat as the varmint gun flat tan.... it just has lot's of holidays in it and no other color......

oh yea don't cook your pistol grip at over 200 made that mistake it shrunk like a mother.... it was a bitch to bend out to get it back on ........

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care if it looks like bluing or not, I just need to put something on it to  keep from rusting any more and is durable, and besides I think krylon would look better than it looks right now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't care if it looks like bluing or not, I just need to put something on it to  keep from rusting any more and is durable, and besides I think krylon would look better than it looks right now.

I've got all kinds of socom black......... haven't used any of it...... sandblasting is going to be a must on anything that's blued..... bead blasting doesn't work they say because it leaves smooth divets it needs to be semi rough to adhere properly......

prep is the whole key to this stuff ....... and i hate prep work ...... that's why all my stuff isn't done yet

if you want some black i got plenty............
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got all kinds of socom black......... haven't used any of it...... sandblasting is going to be a must on anything that's blued..... bead blasting doesn't work they say because it leaves smooth divets it needs to be semi rough to adhere properly......

prep is the whole key to this stuff ....... and i hate prep work ...... that's why all my stuff isn't done yet

do you have to mix or thin this stuff before spraying?, I got an air brush kit, I need a new compressor, burned mine up using it as a small part sand blaster, might just buy one of the air ina can things, does it have to be applied in more than one coat, then baked, or is a single coat all thats needed?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you have to mix or thin this stuff before spraying?, I got an air brush kit, I need a new compressor, burned mine up using it as a small part sand blaster, might just buy one of the air ina can things, does it have to be applied in more than one coat, then baked, or is a single coat all thats needed?

You mean DURA_COAT? That's the only thing to finish a firearm with, for my money any way!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean DURA_COAT? That's the only thing to finish a firearm with, for my money any way!

No you don't have to mix the stuff Nden it's all predone dill you just spray it on........it's fairly simple you can do all your coats at one time then bake to cure.......

Brass dura coat may be good stuff but it definetly seems like more of a pain in the ass to mess with it has to be mixed then it takes like 2 weeks to cure............... to much waiting involved for me
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]
acman, do you have a close up pic of the Varmint AR?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats great camo work, thats what I want to do to my Bushy or I'm open for suggestions. I want it all painted though including the grip. I have no talent at all in painting or art.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
acman, do you have a close up pic of the Varmint AR?

here it is in the oven I built to cook them in..... don't think ive taken any other pics with the scope mounted .... the pistol grip is a houge so i was afraid to cook it that's why it's off in this pic and black in the other one.........

if you want a better pick or diffrent let me know..... I'm hear to please
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]

before pic...... just cause i'm a pic whore.......
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thats great camo work, thats what I want to do to my Bushy or I'm open for suggestions. I want it all painted though including the grip. I have no talent at all in painting or art.

it's closer to allright but thanks .....

hold on and i'll get a pic of my screw up taken and loaded up in a few minutes

if you live close enough i'll try to hook you up...... but no bitching if you don't like when i'm done

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
ok....... before i hear any crap i had some spray paint laying around and it didn't match to well thats
why the scope and mount look like chit  anouther project i need to fix

the airbrush went tits up is why the all tan one has holidays all in it and is'nt  okieflaged....

this is a pic of the tan one laying inside the fly on my tent this past weekend.... 1dreamer you will see this place soon

and this is an OKIE ELK cause i'm a pic whore and didn't figure you guys would know the diffrence i didn't paint her but she does like to call me daddy ...... if you want action shots that's on my pay sight ...... sorry no thread is complete without retarded coments around here

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]
AC even your spray can camo job doesn't look bad.

Heading out tomorrow morn. for Estes Park, CO.  Going to be just the wife & me on a  romantic anniversary trip.  I'll have to be back at work Wed. though. They told everyone at work today we would have to work every Sat. for the next month or two. Too bad for them because I'm doing what I had planned before they planned this every Sat. crap for everyone.  

I'll be at the campout Fri. night as planned. May not have a job when I come back but I've planned on meeting all the great folks that can make it to the campout, and only death could stop me from being there.

Wish more of the guys around here were able to be there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
think when I get my AB kit put back together I'll try some on a revolver.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
AC even your spray can camo job doesn't look bad.

Heading out tomorrow morn. for Estes Park, CO.  Going to be just the wife & me on a  romantic anniversary trip.  I'll have to be back at work Wed. though. They told everyone at work today we would have to work every Sat. for the next month or two. Too bad for them because I'm doing what I had planned before they planned this every Sat. crap for everyone.  

I'll be at the campout Fri. night as planned. May not have a job when I come back but I've planned on meeting all the great folks that can make it to the campout, and only death could stop me from being there.

Wish more of the guys around here were able to be there.

Just the scope and mount are spray paint ....... the rifle is done in moly resin......
i honestly wasn't trying to win any competitions .... just camo it.... so it's far from perfect.... but i like it.... in pics up against white or something it looks (at least to me) like theirs to much brown ...
but in the grass it isn't really noticable it's a pretty effective job....to my eyes....

enjoy the time with the wife....... look forward to seeing you next weekend.......

Ndenway .....
when you get ready let me know...... i don't really have any containers to send it in  need something plastic that will seal..... and due to the products nature a resin and since it will be in transit i would recomend something similar to the volume you need (that way it stays mixed) IE 3-4 oz which should be more than enough to do a revolver unless it's one big basard

just a side note the green and black come with a ball bearing or something in them.... their a lot harder to initialy shake up than the tan or brown........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top