Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a military IFAK and want to pick another one up. In know it is cheaper to set up your own, but time is kind of a factor. Can anybody point me in the direction of an affordable complete IFAK? AR500 has one that is affordable and looks to have most everything I need.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a military IFAK and want to pick another one up. In know it is cheaper to set up your own, but time is kind of a factor. Can anybody point me in the direction of an affordable complete IFAK? AR500 has one that is affordable and looks to have most everything I need.
View Quote
Blue Force Gear has some options
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here’s the deal, medical components vary very little in price, so if you take the time to figure out the individual costs of each component in the kits you’re looking at, you can tell if it’s a good deal or not.  Most of the “cost” of these kits is the variation in pouches and overhead to the company selling it, not the components, as they’re made by a very limited number of manufacturers.

Spend a day doing research for yourself rather than trusting the internet to find it for you and I guarantee you’ll have better results and for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here’s the deal, medical components vary very little in price, so if you take the time to figure out the individual costs of each component in the kits you’re looking at, you can tell if it’s a good deal or not.  Most of the “cost” of these kits is the variation in pouches and overhead to the company selling it, not the components, as they’re made by a very limited number of manufacturers.

Spend a day doing research for yourself rather than trusting the internet to find it for you and I guarantee you’ll have better results and for a reasonable price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I found a Sirk gen 2 IFAK refill for a good price. Got a surplus IFAK pouch, couple extra packs of quick clot, extra Israeli bandage, and trauma shears. All said and done it was still cheaper than any complete kit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Very Strange double tap...

Anyhoo, good deal, I’ve spent at least $3K in medical supplies over the last two years, maybe more.  The only reason to buy anprebuitk kit is if it’s on such a significant sale it’s a no brainer, or it comes with the exact correct pouch you intend to use for a good value (that you couldn’t otherwise buy on its own.).

Secondly, most folks go for kits because they’re vacuum sealed.  Well fuck, a food saver and a small dessicant pack and you’ve saved yourself $5-10 dollars or more of markup.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd be most interested in the helmet with NVG mount and rails
View Quote
Same here.  No NODs yet but the mount/rails option is the way to go if the group price is right:

https://www.protectiongroup.dk/en/bullet-proof-helmets-c-5/arch-bullet-proof-helmet-khaki-tan-p-12

The cheapo chinese knock-off ballistic helmet I was planning on getting from Kota Outfitters is out-of-stock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Same here.  No NODs yet but the mount/rails option is the way to go if the group price is right:

https://www.protectiongroup.dk/en/bullet-proof-helmets-c-5/arch-bullet-proof-helmet-khaki-tan-p-12

The cheapo chinese knock-off ballistic helmet I was planning on getting from Kota Outfitters is out-of-stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back face deformation is a thing, I'd avoid the chinesium helmets. Are they cheaper than the Danish ones?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very Strange double tap...

Anyhoo, good deal, I’ve spent at least $3K in medical supplies over the last two years, maybe more.  The only reason to buy anprebuitk kit is if it’s on such a significant sale it’s a no brainer, or it comes with the exact correct pouch you intend to use for a good value (that you couldn’t otherwise buy on its own.).

Secondly, most folks go for kits because they’re vacuum sealed.  Well fuck, a food saver and a small dessicant pack and you’ve saved yourself $5-10 dollars or more of markup.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice. My medical experience is lacking (Army CLS a handful of times and some LE oriented equivalents). I've always been issued IFAKs. Once I get this set up, I'm going to start putting together a bigger CLS type kit for the truck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Back face deformation is a thing, I'd avoid the chinesium helmets. Are they cheaper than the Danish ones?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you’re right hence the reason I was gonna go with a Large for a bit more room for deformation, but it’s out of stock now.  I waited too long.

$132
https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product-page/ach-fast-high-cut-iii-a-ballistic-helmet

and I could be wrong but I think it’s this Badger helmet (ETA: fixed link)
https://midwestarmor.com/products/badger-ach-high-cut-iii-a/

The Danish one you found looks legit.  I assume it meets NATO standards, etc
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be in on a helmet but it doesn't look like they make one big enough
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
So glad I caught this thread.  I just started chatting with CAKEPWNER to figure plate type and fit for me.

+1 on looking at RMA, III+ multi curve SAPI with their VA promotion is $240ish for a medium.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So glad I caught this thread.  I just started chatting with CAKEPWNER to figure plate type and fit for me.

+1 on looking at RMA, III+ multi curve SAPI with their VA promotion is $240ish for a medium.
View Quote
That's what I ordered. I think my PC will be too big. Who knows if they will arrive by 20 Jan though.

I doubt it, I'll probably be plateless.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK all-

I am looking at trying to arrange group buy pricing for the following:

Stand Alone Level III+ SAPI cut plates, less than 5lbs weight.

High Cut Ballistic Helmet

Retail on the helmets is $380 USD, and on the plates $266 USD per plate- so with a group buy we could hopefully do better.

Alternatively, if a lot of ya'll do not have an interest in the helmets with NVG mounts and rails, I could look at trying to hook you up with this high cut ballistic helmet for less than $300.

Thoughts?
View Quote
As an alternative I'd suggest the 3M Combat High Cut. U.S. made, known quantity manufacturer, good shell geometry. Price is still reasonable, actually lower than the "Danish" helmet.

ETA: Be careful on those PGD helmets. They're "designed" in Denmark, doesn't say "made" in Denmark. I'd question their origin.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As an alternative I'd suggest the 3M Combat High Cut. U.S. made, known quantity manufacturer, good shell geometry. Price is still reasonable, actually lower than the "Danish" helmet.
View Quote
To be equivalent with the Danish helmet, with rails and NVG mount they're $567.17.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To be equivalent with the Danish helmet, with rails and NVG mount they're $567.17.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A $187 price difference for a U.S. made product from a top manufacturer with U.S. made accessories from another known U.S. manufacturer vs. a foreign "designed" helmet whose actual place of manufacture is obscured along with the place of origin for every single one of the accessories on it?

Sounds about right. The 3M helmet is also a touch lighter, for what it's worth. You'll also get better fit out of the 4 size shell system offered with the 3M vs. the 2 size system offered with the PGD.

I'm not saying the PGD shell or the company is bad, but there are some questions I'd like answered first before I would place an order for one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#17]
@longhunter09
@Ben

I've been shopping around for IFAK pricing based on the BFG Micro Trauma Kit Now and the Medium Trauma Kit Now. I missed BFG's Christmas day deal on the Micro.

I wanted to compare pricing for the Micro complete from BFG or the Pouch only with purchasing supplies separate. I also wanted to compare purchasing the SIRK Gen 2 IFAK refill kit component separately or as a kit online.

ETA: Sorry - Apparently my formatting when I typed this changes once I hit submit

Micro Trauma Kit Now - Complete w/Adv. Trauma Kit from BFG  $199.95

Micro Trauma Kit Now - Bare - $69.95
QuickClot Combat Gauze - $42.89 - Contents Priced from http://www.1110gear.com/med-supplies/
HyFin Vent Chest Seal - Compact (2 seals included) - $11.99
Cleer Medical Trauma Bandage 4” Flat Pack - $9.49
Decompression needle - $9.50
Six 2” x 9” Frog Tape - $3.10
Size 28F Nasopharyngeal Airway - $5.50
Heavy Duty Medical Gloves in tan (1 pair) - $1.50
Total - $153.92

Note: Micro Trauma Kit does not included TQ's

Trauma Kit Now - Medium - $79.95
TyTek Medical Piranha Trauma Shears 5.5" - Black - $8.99
NAR Compressed Gauze - $2.99
QuickClot Combat Gauze - $42.89
NAR ETD (Emergency Trauma Dressing) 6" Flat Pack - $7.99
HyFin Vent Chest Seal - Compact (2 seals included) - $11.99
NAR Heavy Duty Medical Gloves in tan (2 pairs) - $3.00
Fox Aluminum Eye Shield (qty 2) - $3.00 - https://www.rescue-essentials.com/
1" x 10yds 3M Durapore Tape - $1.50 - https://www.rescue-essentials.com/
Decompression needle - $9.50
2 x Gen 7 CAT Tourniquets - $60.00
Contents only - $151.85 - Based on Skinny Medic's YouTube Channel
Complete - $231.80 - Pouch w/ above contents

NAR Gen 2 SIRK Kit (Venture Surplus 3/2022 exp.) - $74.99 - https://www.venturesurplus.com/products/north-american-rescue-gen-2-sirk-kit/
2 x Gen 7 CAT Tourniquets
1 x 4" Trauma Dressing
1 x Quikclot Combat Gauze
1 x NAR Compressed Gauze
1 x ARS Decompression, 14 gauge
1 x Nasopharyngeal Airway, 28F w/ lube
1 x Fox Eye Shield
1 x Twin Pack, Hyfin Chest Seal
1 x Minin Duck Tape
1 x Permanent Marker
1 x Benchmade Model 7 Rescue Hook
1 x Casualty Documentation Card
Add - TyTek Med.Piranha Trauma Shears 5.5" - Blk - $8.99 http://www.1110gear.com/
Add 1 - Fox Aluminum Eye Shield (qty 1) - $3.00 https://www.rescue-essentials.com/
Add - 1" x 10yds 3M Durapore Tape - $1.50 https://www.rescue-essentials.com/
Add - NAR ETD (Emergency Trauma Dressing) 6" Flat Pack - $7.99https://www.rescue-essentials.com/
Contents Only - $96.47
Trauma Kit Now - Medium - $79.95
Complete - $176.42

BFG also has their Tourniquet NOW! Strap Tourniquet Holder for $9.00 that will mount on top of the Trauma Kit Now - Medium pouch or Molle on a war belt or PC

I think purchasing the SIRK Gen 2 Refill from Venture Surplus may be the best deal by far.  You can even supplement a few items from 1110gear.com to match BFG's contents for the Micro and still come out way ahead plus the 2 additional Gen 7 CAT TQ's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 3 Surplus Scott M95 Gas masks without filters I picked up from the thread the other day, free for my Virginia brothers. Buy yourself a canister and you're set. Located in Hampton.

First of the med bags finished up.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone have a line on a decent used medium battle-belt setup, or recommendations on an affordable rig?

I've never used one, since my PC was set up as an active-shooter rig to be worn with my duty belt. As I'm adding gear, I don't have room on my PC for everything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a line on a decent used medium battle-belt setup, or recommendations on an affordable rig?

I've never used one, since my PC was set up as an active-shooter rig to be worn with my duty belt. As I'm adding gear, I don't have room on my PC for everything.
View Quote
You're looking for used and not new?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Either
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really, you can put together a cheap warbelt using an old LBE belt, and some pouches. It doesn’t have to be whiz-bang.  But id hit Glenn’s Army Surplus.com for cheap gear in good condition.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either
I looks like we both missed us-elitegear.com's sale on the HSGI Sure Grip padded belt for $28.  I'm assuming it was a Black Friday/Christmas sale.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I looks like we both missed us-elitegear.com's sale on the HSGI Sure Grip padded belt for $28.  I'm assuming it was a Black Friday/Christmas sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either
I ended up finding a used one for a pretty good price
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 511 plate carrier used for work outs, not armor, and various non trauma first aid kits.  Would be interested in upping my gear and training.

Back in the Clinton era I spent way too much on what turned out to be crap, and have been wary about repeating the same mistakes again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 511 plate carrier used for work outs, not armor, and various non trauma first aid kits.  Would be interested in upping my gear and training.

Back in the Clinton era I spent way too much on what turned out to be crap, and have been wary about repeating the same mistakes again.
View Quote
You can find all kinds of excellent quality plate carriers for around $200.  OCPC, JPC 2.0, etc
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Sent an inquiry email to RMA.  Short version of the response is the VA 10% off is the best they can do unless we can generate over $4k and then they'd re-examine how they can help.

So to do better than their current promotion, we'd need to order 20 plates or better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sent an inquiry email to RMA.  Short version of the response is the VA 10% off is the best they can do unless we can generate over $4k and then they'd re-examine how they can help.

So to do better than their current promotion, we'd need to order 20 plates or better.
View Quote
At least on its face that doesn't even sound hard to do. At 2 plates per person that's only 10 people buying in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At least on its face that doesn't even sound hard to do. At 2 plates per person that's only 10 people buying in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on new plates from them...
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Esstac also has these for $170 shipped per plate.  https://www.esstac.com/product-page/hesco-l210-sh-sc-l-special-threat-shooters-cut
Delivered in two days.

Support NBB and Virginia:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/nbb-hiking-club-support  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I ordered L210 plates from Infidel Armor with a plate carrier back in December for $400/shipped. Granted it's a crappy Condor carrier but it fits around my beer gut. The beer gut / barrel chest make the single curve less cumbersome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You can find all kinds of excellent quality plate carriers for around $200.  OCPC, JPC 2.0, etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question;  Is there something deficient with the 511 plate carrier?   It's marketed to the crossfit crowd these days,  but was originally designed for the military.

I picked it because I want to eventually scale it up to about 100 pounds,  which it should be able to handle.

There has been lots of bad advice floating around about gear over the years targeted at non .mil guys like me. After wasting a bunch of money on crap in the past,  I've mostly taken the philosophy of start with what I know works from camping and go from there.  But we're getting pretty far outside my area of experience,  hence the desire to up my training too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Serious question;  Is there something deficient with the 511 plate carrier?   It's marketed to the crossfit crowd these days,  but was originally designed for the military.

I picked it because I want to eventually scale it up to about 100 pounds,  which it should be able to handle.

There has been lots of bad advice floating around about gear over the years targeted at non .mil guys like me. After wasting a bunch of money on crap in the past,  I've mostly taken the philosophy of start with what I know works from camping and go from there.  But we're getting pretty far outside my area of experience,  hence the desire to up my training too.
View Quote
I was just about to post this exact question. I happened to pick two up for a great price a couple years ago. They’re comfortable, and all those CrossFit weirdos seem to have actually proven they hold up, and can be used during physical activity. I’m sure arf has thrown some hate at them just because they were somewhat associated with CrossFit, but I’d like to know as well if there is a legitimate reason these aren’t better liked?
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no experience with the 5.11 carrier.  I've been soaking up the carrier advice from guys like Daemon734 and demoMouse in the Tactical Gear section who use their gear hard overseas.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Y'all might be interested....
ACH IIIa good price

They also have the old-style KPOT for less ($118.00)
View Quote
I just read this whole thread. This looks like a great price. Maybe too great. Is this a good helmet or airsoft stuff? Recommendation?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I’d be interested in an ECH or similar rifle-rated helmet, if a group deal is available.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in an ECH or similar rifle-rated helmet, if a group deal is available.
View Quote
I'm not aware of any rifle rated helmet on the commercial market available to Civs., excluding a couple appliques which are helmet specific anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not aware of any rifle rated helmet on the commercial market available to Civs., excluding a couple appliques which are helmet specific anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be interested in an ECH or similar rifle-rated helmet, if a group deal is available.
Which rifle rated helmets are you aware of not on the civilian market?

@CAKEPWNER
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just read this whole thread. This looks like a great price. Maybe too great. Is this a good helmet or airsoft stuff? Recommendation?  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all might be interested....
ACH IIIa good price

They also have the old-style KPOT for less ($118.00)
#madeinChina
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@CAKEPWNER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@CAKEPWNER
3M Combat II, the ECH obviously, and Diamond Age developed the Bastion (really a standard ballistic helmet with an applique system) and that's pretty much it.

There is one more, the Armorsource AS-600 which can be bought from Security Pro, but Armorsource as a company has a history that makes me extremely wary of their products.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
3M Combat II, the ECH obviously, and Diamond Age developed the Bastion (really a standard ballistic helmet with an applique system) and that's pretty much it.

There is one more, the Armorsource AS-600 which can be bought from Security Pro, but Armorsource as a company has a history that makes me extremely wary of their products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@CAKEPWNER

Their AS-600s that we tested held up to what they claimed it would.

They are awful to deal with as a company though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Good info / guidance in this thread.  Thank you.

I still need a helmet.

I still need an IFAK.  Going to StopTheBleed training on Wednesday night.  Hope to get a better understanding of what to include in a kit and how to use it if needed.  Then refer to the suggestions posted by BigD18.

I still need a gas mask.  Anyone have any insight into pros/cons with the Swedish option below?  E.g., I wonder if the buckle locations would interfere / preclude its use with a helmet.

$84 Gas Mask: A4 Forsheda Gas Mask Respirator with Filter

And a pair of standard NATO 40mm filters for $59: 2 Pack Of CBRN Gas Mask Filters
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Ordered some new plates for my carrier from RMA, their 3+ multi-curves.  My old ones will go in a carrier for my wife.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#45]
From discussions on Sunday, I'm squared away on IFAK, still need to schedule training.  Looked at a few battle belts in person this week, didn't find anything that fit or worked for me, so that's a work in progress. I did upgrade the sling / hydration pack so that should help the whole gear flopping around issue.

Given budget and other constraints for where I'm at personally, I don't think I'm going to focus on gas masks & plates right now.

Been looking for a helmet to fit my noggin that will get here in time and coming up short.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
From discussions on Sunday, I'm squared away on IFAK, still need to schedule training.  Looked at a few battle belts in person this week, didn't find anything that fit or worked for me, so that's a work in progress. I did upgrade the sling / hydration pack so that should help the whole gear flopping around issue.

Given budget and other constraints for where I'm at personally, I don't think I'm going to focus on gas masks & plates right now.

Been looking for a helmet to fit my noggin that will get here in time and coming up short.  Any ideas?
View Quote
We can lend you a helmet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Who needs plates? Have a guy that got new plates today and didn't like them- he wants thinner plates made of steel.

PM me if you are in the market for a large set of plates.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Squared away on everything except helmet - anyone know a source locally to pick one up/ borrow one?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top